PDA

View Full Version : One Year ago,

exav8tr
07-26-2008, 05:08 AM
We sent our beloved Sam, a Golden Retriever, to the Rainbow Bridge to wait for us. It seems like only yesterday that he was constantly under foot and wanting to go wherever we went. Always in the way and never knowing where to lay or which way to turn. With the medication, for seizures, he was on, he was a clumsy oaf, sometimes falling and sometimes not knowing where he was. We SO loved that guy and have yet to get over him, so much so that we haven't replaced him either. I will say it is easier travelling without a dog, BUT, it is a lot less fun. Sam went everywhere with us and especially loved walking the trails in Oregon and Washington.

We have thought of getting another, but don't feel inclined to start all over, it would have to be a very special buddy.

When I think of Sam now a bit of water appears in my eyes, don't know where that comes from. There will always be a special place in my heart for Sam. My only consolation is knowing he is waiting for me and we will be together forever someday.

I miss you Sam!!!!

jjackflash
07-26-2008, 05:23 AM
Darn it Phil,I think you gave me the same eye infection you have.
Jack

Fire5er
07-26-2008, 06:21 AM
We had to put our dog of 15 years down over 5 years ago...and I still miss him. He was a miniature dachshund. Both girls were out of the house (one in college and the other married) so we had the empty nest syndrome. With me being a firefighter and gone for 24 hours each shift my wife started wanted a dog for company. About two years ago she really started pushing the issue. I, like you Phil, didn't want to start over again with a new dog. But when momma ain't happy, no body's happy. So last year Oct. we got a yellow lab puppy....and we started all over again with potty training, having to go out all hours and during all weather conditions to walk the dog so he could do his business, obedience training, etc... I made her take him as much as possible, after all it was her idea to get a dog. She finally said "wow I forgot how much work a new dog was". Well now he is almost a year old, he's a good dog, and fun to take camping... but it is much harder then before we had a dog in the Monty. Sorry for your loss. Happy and safe travels!

Karl

HamRad
07-26-2008, 07:14 AM
Phil,

I am sorry for your loss. Time does not seem to pass in some circumstances. A year, a day. They are the same. Bet Einstine would have something to say about that. I teared up a bit too reading about your terrible loss.

There is no "replacing" a furry friend. There are other friends waiting for you but only when you're ready.

Karl,

When we lost our beloved mini doxie we said we'd wait until we had a chance to travel some without a furry friend. But I was so lonesome without a dog around that I just had to have another one. One thing led to another and inside 6 months we had two new friends. :)

We, too, had forgotten how difficult it was to do the house breaking. After much turmoil we finally got things sort of back to "normal". I often find myself calling our new dogs by our previous dogs names. I've almost gotten over doing that but it has been over two years! Guess we never do really "get over" missing them.

You're right Phil I'll bet it is a lot less fun traveling without them.

Thank you for sharing Phil.

Dennis

lwcdg
07-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Phil what I tell people in our office is to wait and give yourself some time. then if you still want another dog call the "rescue" group (breed specifio) a call & describe what you're looking for. I'll bet within a short time they'll have you fixed up. All of our clients that have went this way are very pleased. They believe they have the best of both worlds. No puppy training, many times already neutered, less expensive than buying pedigree, and saving a life. It just can't get any better.
HTH,
Chuck

ehmcfarl
07-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Phil, I can relate to your pain. We had an old Pom (Sable) that we had gotten from the pound when she was 14 years old. We know her age because her mother had put her out of the house when she moved to a new apartment and Sable ran away. The animal control officer found her running down a very busy road in our town and took her to the pound. When we first saw her she was dirty and smelled really bad; but when we picked her up she licked us and that was all it took. We adopted her and took her to our vet and had her clipped and bathed. We had her for three years before we had to have her put to sleep. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. We got a lot of love from that old dog during the three years we were blessed with having her, and I know she is waiting for us on that bridge too. After all we are promised that we will be happy in Heaven, and nothing would make me any happier than to have her by my side forever. Gotta go now.

exav8tr
07-26-2008, 01:30 PM
I appreciate everyones kind sentiments. I did not mean to pass the "eye infection" on. I guess as I get older I get a little more sappier (word?). I was just trying to honor an old friend...

Chuck, We have looked into that at several places where we have been and found that "some" rescue centers require a house and yard to adopt. Of course, we can't provide that, but we will continue searching. We are actually waiting for a service dog to flunk out of training, but that could take quite some time. I WILL NOT GET A PUPPY, too much trouble in the RV and especially travelling. Will keep looking.......

jjackflash
07-26-2008, 05:46 PM
We had a 120 lb. sheep dog for 13 years and finally had to give her up to her maker.
That day I held her head in my arms when they euthanized her,she looked at me, wag that stub of a tail and closed her eyes.
It's terrible to see a 45 year old man cry and I'll never forget that moment. It took 10 years to decide if we wanted to go through that again,but we will.
Bless you Phil and Sam and we'll see you both beyond that bridge some day.

lwcdg
07-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Phil do you have a direct contact to the service dog group? If so which group? I have a couple of different groups that we stay in contact with. If we can help let me know and I'll get you in touch with the right people for what you want.
HTH
Chuck