PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake and Ogden UT.

exav8tr
05-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Leaving Bryce Canyon this week for Hill AFB, which is in Ogden, UT. Can anyone suggest places to see in Salt Lake city and Ogden areas. I know the Salt Lake is on the agenda, how about anywhere else you've been to and can recommend??????[:p][:p][:p][:p]

Thanks for the advice!!!!!:D:D:D

On Edit: Still no tour guides for this area??????????

Imp
05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
The Sundance area near Ogden is a fun place to visit. You might even run into Robert Redford. They have an open air theatre there in the summer and a very expensive restaurant. But it is a fun drive. If you are into geneaology, the library at BYU has a great resource. Also in Salt Lake City.

exav8tr
05-21-2008, 03:27 AM
Thanks IMP, will have to check out the Sundance area..Not into genealogy though....... Anybody else? Keep the ideas coming......

nkwist
06-04-2008, 04:52 PM
The east side of the mountains is very nice. There are a number of campgrounds between Park City and Heber City. Wasatch SP, Jordanelle SP and Deer Creek SP are among your possibilities. If you're a golfer there are a number of affordable courses in the area. Also interesting is the Olympic training site.

If you're into meat meals, don't miss the Rodizio in the Trolley Square in SLC. LOTS to do and see in the SLC area.

Diamond
06-04-2008, 05:17 PM
We camped at Antelope State State Park on Antelope Island which is in the Great Salt Lake across the Salt Lake City Causeway. No hookups, but paved sites with picnic table and grill and you can hike, visit an old ranch on the island, and watch the free-range buffalo wander all over the island. The sunset views are wonderful as is the lighting reflecting back on the city itself. A night or 2 is all you need. We did a great hike to the high point of the island if you are into hiking. It was nice to be able to say we camped on the Great Salt Lake. Phone number of the state park is 801-773-2841.

exav8tr
06-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Norm, We did a city tour of SLC and the guide pointed out that restaurant in Trolley Square. Once we get back we are planning on another trip into SLC and will check out trolley square and all it has to offer.

Ruth and Jack. We did a day trip to Antelope, ate a bison burger and spent time on the ranch. Had a great time. I passed on floating in the lake though. A little too cold for me.......

timandsusan
06-05-2008, 07:39 AM
The Kennicott Mine tour is really great and I recommend it. Also the Mormom Tabernacle Choir practice on Thursday evenings is really good--lots of great music. A spectacular scenic drive is on Utah 150 thru the Unita Mtns that are east of SLC and Park City. This road crosses the Continental Divide and maybe be snowed in--check before you go. For cachers--check our the Promitory caches where the golden spike was driven and the Spriral Jetty in the Great Salt Lake. The road to the Spiral Jetty is really rough but a truck can make even though I almost left a rental car on it a few years ago!

bigmurf
06-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Tim: Did you just move the Continental Divide to Utah?g

4 beader
06-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Just FYI, the Sundance area is near Provo, not Ogden, UT (about 95 miles to the South)

billhoover
06-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Pretty country...just don't go in the winter.:)

exav8tr
06-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Thanks to those of you who replied. Tim, we have cached on the hills east of Ogden and had a great time. If time permits we will check out the Promitory caches. We also did the city tour of SLC which did include the Mormon T Choir taping on a Sunday morning. Spectacular!!!!! To say the least.....

gojodo
06-08-2008, 03:40 AM
We stayed at the KOA in Salt Lake, perfect place for easy access around town. Bike path in the back of the campground. GREAT Resturant 3 blocks away RED IGUANA.
Places to go:
Great Salt Lake and Antelope Island. Drive around the Island, lots of photo ops.
Kennacot Mines to the west, incredible place, can see the open pit mine from the moon.
Odgen Pass, beautiful, drive over to Huntsville have lunch at the Shooting Star Bar, oldest bar in Utah, they serve hamburgers and hamburgers. See the mounted St. Bernard on the wall.
Of course the ski resorts are a nice trip.
In Salt lake see the Morman Genology. We just stopped in without any information on our family and ended up spending 4 hours. They were so helpful. Were able to see the immagration records of our grandparents a long with the birth records of my grandparents in England. If you go take some info with you.

Dorothy