PDA

View Full Version : portable fencing for dogs

kimmy99016
02-24-2008, 06:48 AM
I am wondering if anyone uses portable fences for their dogs? If so, what type do you use?
We have three dogs, 2 boston's and one great pit.

Thanks

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
02-24-2008, 07:02 AM
Until we get our house built and a place fenced for our two Australian shepherds, we are temporarily using one of those chain-link pens that are 4-sided, 10' long per side, 6' high, with one single gate. It worked fine until we started getting regular wind storms here. The howling and blowing scared our dogs, and they were easily able to tear away the chain link fencing from the frame so that they could run to our RV door and bark and bark and bark for help. We've now stopped that problem by putting 4' tall pieces of plywood around the perimeter of the pen. The dogs can still see out when they stand up, but they can't balance well enough to tear the fencing away from the frame. Also, we have started bringing them in when the winds kick up--it's easier on them and on us.[:I]

Mrs. CountryGuy
02-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Use them, yep, 8 sections per fence, each 24' X 24', but I have small kids. They come in a variety of heights. Some campgrounds will NOT let you use them. Purchased from one of the online catalogs, JB?? Not sure just which one anymore.

slewis
02-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Did you know that you can use a wireless fence in campgrounds? DD has the wireless and it states in their paperwork can be used in campgrounds, parks, boats, etc. No fence, no leash, just the collar. You can set the area to be "fenced".
If anyone is interested in this, I can find out the name of the fence they have.
Sandy

Waynem
02-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Sandy,
I'm interested. Please send me the info.
Thanks

slewis
02-24-2008, 02:27 PM
It's called "Petsafe" wireless containment system. I think they got it from
Petsmart. You should be able to google Petsafe and locate it. If not, I'll
do some further checking for you.
Sandy

Waynem
02-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks. I'll find it. Miya needs to go to Petsmart and get her fix anyhow. She puts her paws up on the cookie counter and points out which ones she wants. (Of course the pointing is to all)

Mrs. CountryGuy
02-24-2008, 03:26 PM
KKKK, gotta say, I am not in favor of this wireless thing in a campground, I don't want to start a flame war here, so, let me have my say, and I'll go away. SIGHHH

1.) some campgrounds really frown on any wireless stuff in their campgrounds, say it interferes with their wireless internet. I don't know how this would relate, probably not at all, probably different kind of "wireless" signals, so, on to number 2.

2.) I really get uptight, and OKKKK, I get really nasty to owners of dogs that are off leash in a campground. First, most if not all campgrounds say, dogs must be on a leash. I have been charged and attacked by dogs in every campground that I have visited since 1985. That is really true. Dogs, even those tied up, tend to charge out as you walk by, protecting their owners. I have had 2 dogs with collapsed trachea because they got yanked when I got charged by other dogs. Fact is, in most campgrounds, we don't even walk our dogs, cause of all the dogs that are not leashed or behave poorly. How am I going to know your dog is behind a wireless gate??

Please at least consider the other possible out comes of your putting up a wireless system in a campground.

Thanks for listening to my rant, now, onward to other good hints for our canine friends.

Waynem
02-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Carol,
I just finished reading the manual on the wireless fence. It appears that it is all in the training of the dog. Since that is the case, then the owner can train the dog to NOT do those things you mentioned and would not need a fence. I was curious in the wireless fence and was wondering about it's application.

My dog, when on a leash, is totally under my command. She is a play girl and loves to run up to people and jump up on them. I am working on breaking her of that, but she is of the "hyper," variety dog being Husky/Chow, and we think the dad was German Shepherd. (I'm getting to the fence point in just a minute, bear with me, and it will substantiate what you stated.)

Reading up on the fence, the collar controll will shut off after 30 seconds of "warning." My dog, and many, many other dogs, will not even pause when that warning goes off and they see another object they want to play with or attack. (Miya is not an attacker but can be intimidating.) As fast as a dog can run, they can be a pretty good piece down the camp road when 30 seconds occurs. So now what? Hmmm! No control, guess they can do or go where they want. Signal stopped! Didn't it?

The fence may have its uses, but I'm with you and don't think they should be in a crowded campground where distractions are all over the place. I'll keep Miya on a leash and maintain control.

Sandy, thanks again for the information. I just don't think it is what I want for the area we will be in.

Skip
02-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Mrs Countryguy, I have to agree with you 100% ALL dogs should be kept on a leash. I'm talking the 6 foot or less type, not the 20 foot or more expandable type. In the past 2 years I have had people stop by to visit (which I enjoy) and bring their dogs. They let them run the full legnth of the leash and cause all types of problems. For example Usually the dog will get tangled in chairs, picnic tables etc. I have had them knock over my grill, with expensive steaks on, tiki lights that are lit and burn holes in my outdoor carpet, Get on tables and eat food or snacks that's for our guests. Also go to the bathroom, both #1 and #2 on our carpet, knock over drinks, sodas and on and on. I have also been bitten twice by dogs that their owners say would never do anything like that. I'm on blood thinners and regardless how small the bite it takes several minutes to stop the bleeding. My wife and I both like animals but the owners should be more responsible and keep a tight reign on them and not let them cause problems.. With all the problems I have had the owners usually just say sorry and leave with no offer to atone for the damage. Unfortunately, I now get up early and go knock on their camper doors and have them come over and clean up the mess while I have my coffee. If they refuse I notify the campground owners and have them take action (as you said almost all have rules about pets). Most are told to take care of the problem or move out. Pet owners, Please control your pets. OK End of RANT. Skip

Snownyet
02-24-2008, 11:26 PM
A leash 6 feet of less? For a big dog thats almost bordering inhumane. If Ive got a 20x40 site Im going to give the pet some room, not 20 feet but enough to move around anyway. My advice is stay off my campsite and you'll be just fine. I also think you need to consider the breed when discussing this topic, I dont see many 7 pound terriers drawing blood.

Mrs. CountryGuy
02-25-2008, 02:03 AM
Snownyet,

6 foot leashes are required in many parks, clearly stated, leashes 6 foot or less.

Would respectfully request that if you want a large dog on a long leash on your site, maybe you could post a sign, "Large Dog, Long Leash". That way, I would know to stay away from your site, and you will be happy, your dog will be happy, I will be OK, and my little kids will be safe. Unless of course, your kid breaks his lead/leash. And just for the record, the times I have been attacked or charged, I was on the public road in a campground, NEVER in someones campsite. SIGHH

I had to laugh tho, remembering all the deep deep bite wounds I have had from 7 pound terriers, ohh, those were from my two females. And, Abby, rest her soul, could jump high enough to bite me on the backside when she was after Tilly (in my arms). I learned quickly that it was better to have Abby in my arms. :D

I am sorry this thread has deteriorated to angst. Pet ownership and maintenance gets snarly quickly. We love our pets, and others don't like owners that are not responsible, a sure fired way to get the dander up and the flames shooting. SORRY AGAIN.

Joe-n-Doe
02-25-2008, 02:21 AM
I have had the wireless fence at my house and have found it generally effective. However, both pooches have jumped it to chase birds and wild animals that range the small creek behind my house. In a fit of excitement, they have also jumped it when they have seen DW or me returning from a neighbors house.

Training consists of using flags to mark the perimeter. Those flags, in conjunction with warning signal emitted by the collar tell the dog where the boundary line is. I looked at the portable unit and opted against it because of the limited options in respect to size and configuration of the perimeter established (only circular).

If you are hop scotching across the country, seems like the learning curve the dog would have to go through at each new location would be more work than just putting them on a leash and walking them.

Snownyet
02-25-2008, 02:48 AM
I was just trying to be devils advocate. We dont have a big dog,we've got a beautiful little Havaneese. I was just reflecting back on the folks I see who have anxious dogs with short leashes and no room to move, and additionaly the fact that it annoys the heck out of me when folks wander around or pass through other peoples campsites when the occupants arent right there, it may not be my land but its my little piece of paradise for the weekend. If Im outside and a person walks up its a guaranteed fact that my dog, regardless of size will NOT be of threat to anyone and when Im gone, so is my pet. To my knowledge every campground we've been to has required a 10 foot leash, but Im sure theyre are plenty who want 6 feet and even some who dont allow pets at all, thats why its important to know the rules before you go. Regardless I know we'd never tie out a dog whith any length leash that would allow the pets to reach a public area, thats just irresponsible, which is what this whole thread boils down to....Being a responsible pet owner. Our pet is our only child and shes treated as such.

Bill and Ann
02-25-2008, 04:11 AM
Since we have a wireless fence for our two dogs and have been using it at home and in the park where we winter I think they are great. We have the perimeter set to the edge of the grass and the road. The collar "beeps" when the dogs are getting near their limit and "zaps" them if the reach the limit. It only has to "zap" them a couple of times and they stay away from the road from then on. We cn now leave the collars off them and they will not go on the road. They are a training tool.
Carlsons had one on their lab when we first saw how one worked. The lab was a pup and with the collar on he would lie at the edge of his "limit" and watch the world go by.
We set the range for the area we are at. When home we set it for about 30' dia. as that is all they need. At our park, it is set for about 15' and it works great.
When I walk the dogs I use a leash.

Waynem
02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Every campground that I have stay at had rules about pets and being on a leash. Six foot was stated in many of them, but some did not set a limit. However, every camp I stayed at had a rule that no pet could be left unattended. Does that mean you could not leave them in your RV when you went somewhere? I don't think it literally means that, but is in references, I did ask once, to being left outside unattended. That would include being tied up outside unattended.

I have a 20 foot rope with loops at varying distances so that I can shorten to 6 feet or lengthen out to 20 feet. However, regardless of what distance I have it set for, if she is outside, I'm there with her. If we are just running into town for groceries, she is in the RV, in her wire cage. As is she for other special events. Never for punishment.

Yes, I do worry about power failures and try to make arrangements with neighbors for her well being, or to call me with any concerns.

To leash or not to leash is a responsibility of the owner and in keeping with campground policy. I have had dogs that did not require a leash. I say that because if I called their name and told them to sit, come, stay, down, or any other trained command, it was immediately obeyed, regardless of the situation. My present owner (Miya) is not at that stage. (Yet!) So she'll stay leashed.

jrhaman
02-26-2008, 01:04 AM
We use a portable fence from www.digitpet.com. They have the cheapest prices and you can add more fence to enlarge them. Works great for Bayer, his little buddy Buddy, and Mr.B

EJH
02-26-2008, 01:46 AM
Traveled from NH to Alaska and back last year with two full grown Rottweilers 110 and 100 lbs respectively. Took the entire summer, May through September. Stayed at campgrounds across the US, Canada and Alaska. Walked the dogs around the campgrounds every day usually on an expandable single leash (2 dogs on one lead). Never had any problems with other campers, visitors etc. I have trained each dog myself, there was never any sign of aggression toward other dogs or people, nor would I allow any. An owner has a responsibility to train, manage and control their animals, and they are legally responsible to do so. Our dogs are never left tied outside the camper unless we are outside with them. On the other hand as I've walked around campgrounds with and without my dogs I have had camper's pets charge at me as I walk on the roadway, usually the smaller types, I call them yippy-yappers. The Rotties call them play chew toys. Some owners call out " he won't hurt you". others just smile and wave or the really inconsiderate ones simply ignore their animals behavior. I won't even comment on their lack of picking up the droppings left behind or when they pull out of their campsite.
Most of the campgrounds have rules about pets, I'll admit that at some we had Hound dogs http://montanaadministrator.forumco.com/images/montanaadministrator/icon_mi_6.gif not Rotties.
Bottom line is that we are always responsible for our dogs behavior, no excuses for the bad actions of the animals, many times their behavior is after all a reflection of their owners.
Enough said, have to go out and finish shoveling the 3 feet of snow of the house roof.

ejh

Trailer Trash 2
02-26-2008, 04:31 AM
This is how I'v been doing my fencing for years. you got to wait for sales it is costly but well worth the spend. I cut re-bar to 3 foot lengths and drive them into the ground then use tie wraps to hold the fence to them.

http://i31.tinypic.com/a40af.jpg

kimmy99016
02-26-2008, 05:31 AM
Thanks for your help, I am really trying to come up with some creative ways to make sure the dogs are safe and easy to travel with. We are going to be taking them with us for our 9 month trip with the kids. I am doing some brain storming here...

Turn the master shower into a crate, put in water, doggie bed, etc.

Anyone use a screened in porch that attaches from the awning? If they were tent staked down I wonder if that would hold a dog or two oh ya or three[8D]

I like the portable fence idea, I think I would fence off our whole area so the puppies can roam around a bit, in our area of course. Even thought about making some sort of contraption to put in the back of the truck, using PVC pipe, wire fencing and zip ties... Even went so far so to try and come up with a portable dog yard to attach to the back of the 5th wheel and pull UNTIL I read the posts about double hauling... nipped that idea RIGHT in the bud.

I know I can use crates, I have two little dogs who have traveled with us since they were born, but my new big and "dangerous" breed dog has never traveled with us and is a bit of a home wrecker. Just brain storming, if one of my ideas is really bad, a gentle reprimand is much appreciated. Thanks!

kimmy99016
02-26-2008, 06:08 AM
Sorry. To clarify... the truck fence thingee would only be after the 5th wheels is unattached, to take them with us when you travel without the 5th wheel. Don't want to puppies getting squished by the 5th wheel hitch :D

Mrs. CountryGuy
02-26-2008, 06:59 AM
kimmy99016 ,

go to JB Wholesalers, http://www.jbpet.com/

type exercise pens in the search.

This is what a lot of us use for portable pens, used widely by show people.

There are other companies that also sell, I just happen to know this one. Maybe it would help you not have to reinvent the wheel??? [:p]

Good luck

DarMar
02-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Good thread with good info. We have never tried the fence thing either and have learned a lot from this thread. Good picture Don & Georgia you've definately got us thinking for our seasonal spot this year.

Carol: No need to be sorry for anything you've said. ALL responsible pet owners have an axe to grind with those irresponsible pet owners, and there are many!

Trailer Trash 2
02-26-2008, 09:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Good thread with good info. We have never tried the fence thing either and have learned a lot from this thread. Good picture Don & Georgia you've definately got us thinking for our seasonal spot this year.

OK Here is the best deal that I could find on the net, the price is great too. I have 24 x 24 by eight pannels and 3/8" x 3 foot rebar from Home Depot, I hope it works out for you

http://www.petproductdepot.net/Gold-Series-ExPens-540.htm?gclid=CKj7y-3k4pECFQUWiQod03fMpQ

Model 540-24
8 Panels With Door
Size: 24W x 24H
Mesh: 1 1/2 x 6"
Material: 9 & 11 Gauge Wire
Weight: 21 lbs. (product) / 23 lbs. (in carton)
On Sale for $34.62 Order Now

Mrs. CountryGuy
02-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Don,

Ya got me real curious, why do you use the rebar?????

Trailer Trash 2
02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

[font=Comic Sans MS]Don,

]Ya got me real curious, why do you use the rebar?????

The Re-bar is used as a fence post, in reality the fence needs to be secured to somthing when it is extended in long lengths otherwise it will fall over, or the pets can push it over, if you look at the picture of my first post on this topic you will see the re-bar spaced so far apart, I also use it to assist in making gates stronger, but the newer fence has gates built in. it's a little more work setting up camp, but I figure our pet is well worth the effort, the plus side is, my pet can roam the yard and I have no worry about him wandering where he's not supose to be.

Mrs. CountryGuy
02-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Don,

Got it. :)

I have used 5 sets of xpens (each set is 24 inch by 24 inch by 8 sections long) all strung out together. I got these long bars that came with them, use them pretty much the same as you are saying. I have also used some long "nails" to add some substance to the set up. I do this at home. (by the way, the long bars is a bad description, they are more like rods, not near as heavy as your rebar, smooth, and made to connect the ends of xpens together, not sure they even sell them with these bars anymore, whewie, it has been years since I purchased any, so, would not surprise me to see they are sold differently now.)

On the road, in Tana, we use 4 piece sets and 8 piece sets, but I never put more than 2 together at a time, and we set out somewhere in our campsite. I do not find I need the bars or rods with that small a set up.

Trailer Trash 2
02-26-2008, 03:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Don,

Got it. :)

I have used 5 sets of xpens (each set is 24 inch by 24 inch by 8 sections long) all strung out together. I got these long bars that came with them, use them pretty much the same as you are saying. I have also used some long "nails" to add some substance to the set up. I do this at home. (by the way, the long bars is a bad description, they are more like rods, not near as heavy as your rebar, smooth, and made to connect the ends of xpens together, not sure they even sell them with these bars anymore, whewie, it has been years since I purchased any, so, would not surprise me to see they are sold differently now.)

On the road, in Tana, we use 4 piece sets and 8 piece sets, but I never put more than 2 together at a time, and we set out somewhere in our campsite. I do not find I need the bars or rods with that small a set up.

Ya I know the bars you are talking about I've been looking for them for almost 3 years with no luck. they were available at Home Depot, they looked like a 3 foot nail with no point on them.

old turbo
02-27-2008, 02:18 AM
I notice parks now that have a pet only camping area and you have to keep your pet in the pet only area and not in the rest of the park. The parks also charge for the pets. The owner of one park told me it had to do with insurance issues. He also said that in his many years as a park owner the number of pets per campsite has increased.

Trailer Trash 2
02-27-2008, 02:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by old turbo

I notice parks now that have a pet only camping area and you have to keep your pet in the pet only area and not in the rest of the park. The parks also charge for the pets. The owner of one park told me it had to do with insurance issues. He also said that in his many years as a park owner the number of pets per campsite has increased.

Yes I have seen that to, Oasis RV Park in Los Vegas has a area that no pets are alowed in there area, not even to walk them through, does this mean the campers that camp there stay out of the area we camp in? Ha Ha. it's getting out of control and I'm off the subject good-by.

kimmy99016
02-27-2008, 05:30 AM
Thanks so much for the websites, these are exactly what I am looking for!!

rames14
03-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Just a note on the wireless fence. First, they do not interfere at all with wireless. We have an Invisible Fence that we used for Magnum and no problem. Second, with a large dog, the electricity did a better job of keeping Magnum from lunging than a leash ever did. As a matter of fact, twice Terrie came home with black eyes and all scraped up because Magnum saw a squirrel and took Terrie airborne. And, as a matter of fact, all of the campgrounds that I explained Magnum's training collar to understood why it was a better choice. In his eleven years, not once did Magnum charge another dog, or a human. He was the world's largest lap dog. (Thought he was a chihuahua). Anyone that has spent time training a dog knows its not the dog that gets trained - its the owner. There are lots of opinions on this, I know. But, as long as my dog is under control and not bothering anyone (including incessant barking), I felt I was a responsible pet owner. Good luck with finding a solution that works for you.

eeoski
03-25-2008, 05:55 PM
I have the following that I've used at the house when we need to keep them contained due to people working on the house, individuals visiting who are afraid of dogs, and children who are not properly "trained" in interacting with animals. I plan to put it to use with the 5th wheel. While it is more bulky than metal it is lighter and I can tote it around pretty easily. You can also purchase extension panels for it if needed/desired. To view the Pet Yard Containment Pen go to: http://www.petsmart.com/entry.jsp?source=PE&entry=2754775

My biggest challenge will be convincing the "kids" that my being on the outside of the fencing is appropriate when we are outside...I am sure that I will be "trained" by them and will wind up with my chair inside the fence with them. LOL

Robin

PartyCrashers
03-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Love them dogs! :D I've got two.

We have not used any pens or fences for our dogs. They stay on leashes. We also use a short rope for tying in our campground space. ONLY our space.

But husband just invented something new. When the awing is down he ties a cable from one awing post to the other. then he puts the two leashes on this cable. The dogs are able to run back and forth the length of our trailer and only able to be in our campsite. If no awing can be used he ties under the frame from wheel to wheel.

Keep in mind we are only weekend warriors at this point in our lives.

If we were to stay at any place longer then a few days, I would be interested in setting up pens as suggested above.

As for the wireless fencing, well this post got me thinking....
I too get frighten when I see a dog out and I can not see signs of it being tied[:0].....the bigger the dog, the more frighten I am.
I have changed my direction before because I have seen a dog and could not tell if it was running free or not....then when I have done this, I am left with the feeling of anger because of someone else's actions.[}:)][}:)]
So this post has made me realize I too need to make it noticeable that my dogs are leashed....and I too hate those extended leashes.

Since we are on the topic of tying or penning up dogs.

I hope the owners are not allowing their dogs to be outside alone in a pen. I have heard of horror stories of the (small) pet being dragged off by a wild animal, even birds.[:I]

Best of luck...

Kimmrg
03-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Gosh what a great topic. I have two large golden retrievers. We use leashes, the long ones that are retractable. I retract when necessary, people, dogs, places they should not be, etc. I let them out when we are in a free and clean area. Here at Bentsen Palm Village (RGV) we have a terrific off leash park. We also use a short rope attached to the trailer, but they are NEVER out without me.
I am grateful that we have such great dogs and find that most folks are very nice about seeing them, loving on them and so forth. Need I add that we always leash, and SCOOP???? We always inform the campground when we make reservations. I'd like to think we do a little good for the reputation of camping pet owners. Believe me, we need that!

PartyCrashers
03-28-2008, 06:25 AM
I have noticed more RV parks that have a pet free run area. I am grateful for this area.

We too walk with are dogs on their leashes and carry the needed supplies for stool clean up.

Many of us ( if not all) on this board are responsible pet owners, but it is just those few out there who damer it for the rest of us.

This is a reason why many campgrounds will now bannned certain breeds of dogs.

What a shame!

But if we all continue to do our part maybe times will change back for the better.....we are already on our way with campgrounds willing to set up these dog runs:D

Ms McGyver
07-01-2008, 10:04 AM
I guess we're lucky. Our daughter got a pet yard at a yard sale (about $10 for the 8 panel model, plus 2 extensions) and when she didn't need it anymore I inherited it for Ringo. It works great! I put it up just aft of the door so I can place him in the pen on my way out. I didn't know about the "spikes" though. I just use tent stakes when necessary--they're lighter and smaller.

He's funny though. He prefers a mat to lie upon, not the grass. Such a fop!