PDA

View Full Version : Some Recommendations Sought

RMccord
10-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I am about to move from our 2005 Mountaineer to a 2008 Montana or Big Sky.
I have not had a 5th wheel before so I will need to make some decisions on the hitch and possibly to my 2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax, Allison longbed extended cab TV.
What hitch would you recommend and why. I have a long bed so won't need a slider.
Also what pin box would you use. The moryde that comes on it or another one?
Also would you modify the GMC in any way. By modify I mean air bags, etc. My unit is stock all the way.
Your feedback is going to help allot and I will be choosing based a large part on the experience from this group so let me have it.

Thanks

gj4040
10-07-2007, 02:38 PM
We need critical information on what you are actually going to buy and tow. Also need your actual scaled truck axle weights and GVWR. There are many factors to consider.

ols1932
10-07-2007, 03:22 PM
How much are you willing to spend? I have the Trailer Saver air ride hitch that I wouldn't be without. I paid $1700 for it in 2003 but I think they sell for around $2000+ right now. It depends on what and how much traveling you're going to be doing. For a lot of long hauls, the better the trailer rides the better and the longer your frame structure will hold together.

Orv

Montana Sky
10-07-2007, 05:24 PM
I suggest the Super 5th by Pullrite. I have been very impressed with my Superglide as well as the Pullrite company. They truly stand behind their product.

exav8tr
10-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Bob, I added an extra leaf spring to support the extra weight. Many add air bags, a great choice also. I also added a Transfer Flow 45 gal underbed fuel tank. The 26 gal was just not enough for longer trips. I do not like to refuel truck with Monty attached. In hindsight, knowing what I do now about loads on the truck, I would have bought a bigger truck. This is strictly my opinion and I am not trying to start a bru ha ha....

Bill and Ann
10-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Bob: We have a stock 2003 GMC crew cab short box. I haven't made any additions re air bags, extra springs, etc. and there really isn't any sag when hitched. I have to watch closely to see when I have the weight off the truck before unhitching. I have a Big Sky which is fully loaded as we live it for 6 mos. each winter. We have a Reese 20K hitch without a slider. For your info I did upgrade to 265 tires.

Mudchief
10-08-2007, 04:55 AM
Bob, I am running a stock unit also. When hooked up to the Montana it only sits down 1 1/4 inches. I have never had anyone flash me because my lights were sitting too high. Like Bill I did go to the 265 tires.

Eagle Man
10-08-2007, 08:35 AM
You might want to read the thread in this section entitled "Trailer Weight Ratings."

sreigle
10-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Many are doing exactly what you propose to do and doing it without problem. You may need the airbags or extra leaf but the truck otherwise should be fine to handle it.

Eagle Man
10-13-2007, 10:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by gj4040

We need critical information on what you are actually going to buy and tow. Also need your actual scaled truck axle weights and GVWR. There are many factors to consider.

Agree. You need to find all your weights and do the numbers. As one of the other posters likes to say, "pin weight, pin weight, pin weight." Also, IMHO, a truck that is level or not level has nothing to do with its weight carrying ability. If level, it just does not blind on coming drivers at night.