PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV Service: A question for FULLTIMERS!

CanDo
10-07-2007, 11:07 AM
BACKGROUND: We have been fulltiming since mid-May 2007. In July we changed our permanent residence and mailing address (also read "billing address") to South Dakota. We had DirecTV service in our stick house in VA for many years and before fulltiming would simply take one of the two receivers from the stick house and use it in the Monty with a portable, round, single-LNB antenna. This worked very well and we were always able to receive local channels except when we went on a trip to Charleston, SC. Now, unless the campground has cable, we can not get "local" programming and therefore no "regular" TV (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX). Also, as has been mentioned in various threads under this topic, the cable selections in many campgrounds are very limited. We have been investigating options with the DirecTV folks and have been told some very interesting things. If you have two receivers and you sign the waiver to receive "local" channels via the distant network service (DNS) from LA & NY, then you will be charged separately for programming on each receiver! What this means is that if you have the Basic programming package ($49.99/month) and the DNS ($9.00/month) on your living room receiver, you will be charged the SAME FEES for the bedroom receiver - no more $4.99/mo "piggyback" fee for each additional receiver like it was in the stick house. This doubles the DirecTV bill!!!

QUESTIONS: Are there any fulltimers out there who have DirecTV and are using two receivers with DNS service? Is my info correct or not?

DONnANNIE
10-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Dave, I'm not a fulltimer and I don't have Direct TV. I have Dishnet with DNS on a HD DVR receiver. This receiver has two outputs and you can watch and/or record two channels at the same time, hence LvRm & BdRm(or Basement) They charge $5 for the second room output, but DNS is activated on that receiver irregardless of the two outputs. This should allow you to receive the DNS where ever you go. I'm sure Direct TV has the HD DVR receivers with two outputs.

William H. Collier
10-07-2007, 01:25 PM
I know that things are changing at Direct TV, and I also know that if you talk to 4 reps at Direct TV it is possible to get 4 different stories. I have one home account and 4 receivers, 3 of which they call "mirrored" and 2 of these are in the Monty. The 2 in the Monty are HD and the 2 in the house are not. There is an additional charge for HD about $10 a month. The 4th receiver was just added to the Monty a couple of weeks ago, there was no problem adding it to the account $4.99. I was told that if I wanted the DNS channels I would have to have a separate account for the Monty because I get the locals over the air "antenna" here on the home account.
I would call them back and if I got the same story I would ask for a supervisor, I dont think you are getting the right info.
Bill

ols1932
10-07-2007, 03:28 PM
We full time and have for over 7 years. During 6 of those years we have had DirecTV. If you only use DirecTV in your RV you MUST have a RV waiver which you get through DirecTV. Since I'm not sure just what your status is, I can't give any more info.

Orv

Parrothead
10-08-2007, 04:33 AM
Chris and Dave, that is my understanding also. I read this somewhere on their site. Since we opted for paperless statement, Direct TV does not know we have moved. We still get the LA channels (major). Until we have a problem, I am going to leave it that way. Direct TV was first installed in our previous fifth wheel and then we moved to the stick house. I just changed the address on line. Now that we are full timing we just didn't do anything and will not until we need to.
Happy trails..............................

kerry
10-08-2007, 04:00 PM
I've had DTV for years.I get the E & W feeds for the major networks by having the system registered in the RV, only I don't get the locals. I use a tripod so if there is a tree in the way I can get around it. Today I just got my HiDef upgrade, and the pictures are great. One thing, and a question to others, I can't get the west feeds in HD being in the east. The DTV girl I talked to said that the HD feeds for the major networks don't work like the analog east west feeds at this time. She said if I'm in the west I'll get the west feeds and not the east. Any input on this from anyone? Kerry FYI _ If and when you call DTV, and you want to talk to someone in the USA, ask for someone in the Retention Center. They understand English and have better answers to your questions.

Dont
02-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Hi I have DTV and I live in Iowa in the summer and Az in the winter and I just call DTV and tell them i want to get AZ local channel and give them the zip code and they switch it for me then I call them when I get back to Iowa and yhry swith it. No waiver was ever as for I told them that we live in the RV full time.

Dont
02-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Hi I have DTV and I live in Iowa in the summer and Az in the winter and I just call DTV and tell them i want to get AZ local channel and give them the zip code and they switch it for me then I call them when I get back to Iowa and they swith it. No waiver was ever as for I told them that we live in the RV full time.