PDA

View Full Version : RV Directory for GPS

Art
10-04-2007, 03:40 AM
I placed this topic in "general topics" rather than "GPS" for more of our members to read it. If any of you Garmin or TomTom owners would like a "RV Parks and Campgrounds" directory as part of your GPS system, I have a website that you can visit. The easy and immediate (after you pay $49.95)download will provide you with 20,260 parks/campgrounds throughout the U.S. It requires 4 MB of memory and comes up as Points of Interest (POIs) in your menu. You also have the option of ordering/downloading either the eastern US or western US for less money. The website is http://www.coolrvtoyz.com for anyone who is interested. By the way, I am NOT receiving any financial benefit from this site!

dscott
10-04-2007, 05:02 AM
Will this work in other GPS systems? I have the factory one in my chevy.

Art
10-04-2007, 05:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by dscott

I don't think so!

bsmeaton
10-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Art,

Aren't these campgrounds already in the Garmin database? If they have an address, they should already be in there. Am I missing something?

The Oldguard
10-04-2007, 09:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Art,

Aren't these campgrounds already in the Garmin database? If they have an address, they should already be in there. Am I missing something?

Brad, don't most campgrounds have a "GPS" address on the web site[:p][:p][:p]

Mrs. CountryGuy
10-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Oldguard,

I find that to be an intriguing question. In my limited amount of campground internet surfing, I don't find many with the GPS on the web sites. Do you really?? And, if so, please enlighten us all, seriously, I guess as much surfing as I do, I just don't look up campgrounds like that.

What process do you use, I asked this question a while back, and as far as I know, received no answers.

I know there is something I need to learn here, someone HELP!!!

Parrothead
10-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Longitude and altitude
Happy trails..................

bsmeaton
10-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Bill,

Yes you are right, that is pretty cool that the campgrounds are including their GPS coordinates.

But I'm still confused why I would want to pay $49 to download a directory of campgrounds that is already in my Garmin (Nuvi). When I enter an address to a campground or even do a search, it already shows up with the name of the campground, telephone number, and directions, just like on this products website. Maybe some GPS system don't work from an address?

msmoonsatx
10-04-2007, 10:24 AM
When using my garmin, I have found some campgrounds listed under lodging. However, most of the time they are not. I generally input the address into my Garmin for a routing. In addition, the routing provided in the Garmin is not always accurate compared to using the address. For example, we were looking for a campground near the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. The campground came up in the Garmin, but the routing was totally erroneous. We ended up in a residential area with no sign of a campground. When I inserted the address, it routed me to the correct location just a short distance from where the Garmin originally took me.

bsmeaton
10-04-2007, 10:32 AM
But Mark, do you think this software would be any different? I bet they get the info from the same source (phone company).

The only advantage would be if it put a new button for campgrounds on the screen instead of using the lodging button, but I'm sure it can't as that would be Garmin Nuvi specific software changes.

PS - Not surprised the Garmin tried to dump you in a residential area in Colorado Springs! There has been so much major highway construction in that town for the last two years my Nuvi usually things I'm driving in the river as I run down the freeway. :D

msmoonsatx
10-04-2007, 11:11 AM
I agree. For that reason I can't see paying anything extra for additional software. I find it's generally more accurate to use trailer life or woodalls on line, get the address then input the address.

The Oldguard
10-04-2007, 05:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Oldguard,

I find that to be an intriguing question. In my limited amount of campground internet surfing, I don't find many with the GPS on the web sites. Do you really?? And, if so, please enlighten us all, seriously, I guess as much surfing as I do, I just don't look up campgrounds like that.

What process do you use, I asked this question a while back, and as far as I know, received no answers.

I know there is something I need to learn here, someone HELP!!!

Carol,if you look at this link you will see the GPS location[:p][:p][:p]

http://www.resortsofdistinction.com/directory/index.cfm

Mrs. CountryGuy
10-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Oldguard

AH HA :)

Thanks, for the link, are there many others, first, not a member of resortsofdistinction, second, not a lot of parks there.

Probably a wave of the future, as GPS coordinates were found for Elkhart County Fair Grounds on their web site, first I personally had seen.

VanMan
10-05-2007, 04:47 AM
I think another argument for the Campground being POIs (like Brad,however, I can't see shelling out $50 for this) is that (I believe I read it right) a proximity alarm can be set up with the Nuvi so that you get a notice when you get close to one of the POIs.

PartyCrashers
10-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Ok I must be really lame here......

I'm not getting information for a campground as easy as you guys, but you did mention "putting in the address"

What if you don't have an address?

What if you are traveling and plans change and you are in a different cit......you need a campground....how do you then find one on your GPS? The only inforamtion you have is the city name? [:I]

We have done this. We have a Garmin Nuvi and was not too successful in finding campgrounds in the area.

Am I missing something?

msmoonsatx
10-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Kevin and Denise

I usually carry a copy of trailer life or woodalls with me and make my plans for stopping about lunch time. If the address is not in the directory, I'll pull out the cell phone and call the campground for the address.

8.1al
11-24-2007, 05:08 AM
I'm with Kevin and Denise. I have a new Nuvi650 and am not having much luck finding campgrounds. Am I missing something here?

rames14
12-08-2007, 12:21 PM
There are a couple of questions here. First, there are ways of using POI files between different GPS makers. Many, like Garmin, use a .csv file, while others use .gpx files. This can be read in an excel spreadsheet. The program POI edit can be used, evidently to switch between formats. However, Tom Tom encrypts some of their files (such as their Dunkin Donut file) and use a .ov2 format. Go to POI-Factory.com for a lot of information on this. I have not gotten my new Nuvi 680, but I went into Garmin Mapsource and the campgrounds are under Lodging, Sub Category Camprgound/RV Park. Found every RV campground within the area, including those not found in Woodalls or Trailer Life. Hope this helps "a little".

slewis
12-08-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm in the same boat with Partycrasher. We just got our 760 Garmin. Looked for a cg in/near Memphis and I couldn't believe there were no cg's listed under lodging. And I know there are cg's there. So this program may well be worth the price.
Sandy

HughM
12-08-2007, 02:29 PM
slewis, Next time you are looking for a campground near Memphis try the Argicenter. It's on Germantown Rd. south of I-40 about 6-7 miles. Not a lot of amenities but in a safe location with great eating places nearby.
The Argicenter probably has 300 campsites. All with E&W and some with sewer.
Very little shade but a lot better than some of the other CG's around Memphis, I know I'm retired from there.
Hugh

8.1al
12-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Unfortunately my 650 does not have a sub category camping under lodging. I have to type in campground and see what is there, then rv park, then rv resort. Sort of laborius and frustrating.

rames14
12-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Charlie and Nila -

I did a little more research and searching for RV in the title seems to be one way. Another is to go to POI Factory and download some of their campground lists. Most of the POI's on POI Factory are free. I am sure there are other campground POI files out there for free. I eventually want to download a low bridge POI file, Dunkin Donuts File (the coffee), and campgrounds.

8.1al
12-09-2007, 05:16 AM
Ron,
Thanks for all the help. All these GPS's have their own quirks, I guess it's just a matter of getting used to the ones in my Nuvi650

rames14
12-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Charlie and Nila -
You're right, they all have their quirks. But I really like the features on the new units. It will be especially nice when I go through Chicago if the MSN Direct part works the way its supposed to work. I've been very happy with Garmin and can hardly wait to get my hands on the 680 for Christmas.

sreigle
12-14-2007, 05:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Art

quote:Originally posted by dscott

I don't think so!

The system has to be able to import "points of interest." Usually that's described as "custom poi." My truck's builtin won't import them. My portable Garmin will.

sreigle
12-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Partycrashers, if I don't have the address and I don't find the CG listed, then I note the directions stated on the cg's website or directory listing (TL, PA, SKP, etc). I follow those directions on the gps map and put in my own waypoint at the resulting location. Sometimes you'll see a street layout that looks like it's probably a CG and it's in the correct location. We're in a CG right now where that's exactly how I located the park on the gps. And I was right about the location. Well, I actually did all this on mapsource (mapping software for my gps) then uploaded it to the gps.