PDA

View Full Version : How do you use your Montana?

Lady RV
06-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Here is a quick poll to see how everyone uses their Montana, Mountaineer, Cambridge or Big Sky.

Check one below. Make sure you VOTE first; if you choose the option to view results you'll use up your chance to vote.

You may only choose one option. Please choose that which best describes your situation.

Lady RV
06-21-2007, 02:16 PM
[^]

sailer
06-21-2007, 05:36 PM
please add 1 more section as we use it for more then vacation but not long timer as we use it 1 month solid in the spring the n 2 months solid in the fall and then fill in so how about do you use it 3 months at a time or 2 months at a time plus john

Steve and Brenda
06-22-2007, 08:46 AM
This is the nicest way to spend a weekend short of a cruise!!!

Ronnelly
06-22-2007, 06:45 PM
I didn't know how to vote, so probably voted wrong. We lived in our Montana for 4 months this year so far, so could not call us Long timers. Under which catagory should I have put us under? WE left for Florida Jan 4 and returned to our home in May. Plan to be in Arizona this fall for the winter.

richfaa
06-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Four months in a camper is a long time. Remember these are recreational vehicles intended for occasional use.We have thus far spent about 5 months in ours and will have been out 6 weeks by the time we get back from this trip. That is not occasional use..We are long timers.

adelmoll
06-24-2007, 04:10 AM
Two years ago today and 60,000 miles ago, we signed the closing papers on our house and moved into the Montana. Since then it is the only bed we have slept in and we love it. I sure was pleased to check us in as fulltimers.

Helen

simonsrf
06-24-2007, 04:56 AM
9 months ago we moved into or Montana fulltime. Our bed, kitchen and belongings are all under our one roof. Wouldn't trade the fulltiming life for living in a castle or a fulltime cruise.

TheCoachPotatoes
06-24-2007, 05:13 AM
Weekenders and Vacationers could be in the same catergory. We do both. In 2 years we will be longtimers. I put ours under vacationers, but really feel most vacationers also do long weekends.

Lije Baley
06-24-2007, 06:58 AM
We'll be weekenders until retirement (which seems to approach more rapidly as the months wind down). And then I guess we're on permanent vacation whatever we do. Our crystal ball sees several multi-month trips each year after retirement, interrupted by the occasional cruise.

RC and Samantha
06-24-2007, 01:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by TheCoachPotatoes

Weekenders and Vacationers could be in the same catergory. We do both. In 2 years we will be longtimers. I put ours under vacationers, but really feel most vacationers also do long weekends.

Oh I don't know about that. [:o)] We are only vacationers. We rarely if ever get away for the weekend and have never used the Montana for weekend trips.

So we voted as vacationers. If we are going on vacation we'd rather be in our Montana.

This weekend if the very first weekend we have ever used the Montana, our one and only two day trip.

Patty

vabluebird
06-24-2007, 03:54 PM
I voted Longtimers but we spend more time in the Montana then we do the house. This spring Apr 1st, we got home to VA after 5 months in FL in our Monty. Then we went to PA for the NE Rally and bought the new 2007 Big Sky. From there we went to VT for a week and NY for a week. We were gone almost 3 weeks. Samuel wants to leave Sept 1st for SD and spend a month and from there to Fl for 6 months. That's only 2 months and a week away. I'd dare say, were getting awful close to full time even thought we don't want to give up our lake house. One thing for sure, the Montana's suit all lifestyles.

Dustytuu
06-26-2007, 08:28 AM
We would be considered half and half. Is that a category? Half long term and half vacationers.

richfaa
06-27-2007, 05:54 AM
This may help in your choice

http://www.rvia.org/Content/NavigationMenu/AboutRVIA/RVIAGovernance/default.htm

stiles watson
06-27-2007, 07:18 AM
I think you are what you define yourself to be. I don't think it matters much how others define you. If you see yourself as a longtimer, that's what you are. If you see yourself as a weekender, so be it.

Rigid and somewhat arbitrary definitions are not what RVing is about. It is about enjoying what you do with your Monty. However you define your use of your Montana, there is no hierarchy or pecking order. Before I became a fulltimer, I was a "as-much-as-I-can-er", having fun either way..

1luckylady
06-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Ours is set up on a lot on the Potomac river in WV. so I voted seasonal. We do live in it there for 7 months out of the year though.

Native Tex
06-29-2007, 12:25 PM
We, like many of the others use our for whatever the occasion demands. We do vacation for the most part, but have used it to live in up to six months while building a new home. We have used it during the holidays to house extra guest and even taken to family outings on weekends just as a place to sit, cool off, and have a clean rest room.

clutch
06-30-2007, 08:44 PM
I guess that long timer describes us but we also set ours up for the summer on our river lot and use it on weekends.

richfaa
07-03-2007, 06:07 AM
This poll is very enlightening. There may be a fine line between weekender and vacationer. In our prior campers we were both, doing weekend camping trips as well as a vacation or two during the year. I would define a vacation as 7 days or more on the road. It also confirms my suspicion that many of us, Fulltimers and Longtimers, (40%) use our Montana's in a manner that they were NOT designed to be used yet they hold up pretty good considering.. This kind of data gives some substance to our "opinions"

Tom Gina 06
07-08-2007, 05:35 AM
We fulltime live in ours and I believe the key to it is preventitive maintainence. I am always going over ours to make sure everything is 100%. Just because we sold our stick house doesn't mean that we do not have to take care of things. Just need to do it in another way. Less in the long run but more detailed. Learning what makes this thing click is what it is all about and taking care of that potential problem before it becomes an issue is the key. Just asked Gina if she was getting tired of living in a space this size and we both agreed....NO WAY! Besides now we are in control of our destiny and can live where we want. Sometimes hard to leave our friends new and old but oh my, it is so exciting being in our position. All our friends back in South Dakota got to see our life for the first time since getting our 3400RL last week. Once they saw what we were doing now understand why we live the way we do. Almost envious of our position in a way as one said. Yes they are not to be used to live in but then I see people living in card board boxes along the RR where I work and think to myself. Life is very very good. As one once said "home is where the heart is" and our Monty is home.........

simonsrf
07-08-2007, 06:41 AM
Tom and Gina,

We feel exactly the same way. We love fulltiming in our Montana, but have a real challenge trying to get others to accept our lifestyle, including our children. Everyone wants to feel sorry for the poor people who live in a trailer. Geesh, guess it is just a matter of opinion, but we have never been happier and wouldn't want it to be any different.

We are now temporarily in our old home town, Seattle. We can hardly wait to get out of this place! Hope the house sells quickly so we can get back on the road and back to our freedom.

ols1932
07-10-2007, 04:59 PM
We have been living in our Montana 24/7/365 for almost 7 years. We are only considered "fulltimers" because people ask us, "Do you live in THAT full time?" The only reason we use that term when talking to anyone is merely to provide them with experiental information. You can usually get more from someone who "has been there, done that."

I don't think it's important to have a "title." As Stiles says,"I think you are what you define yourself to be. I don't think it matters much how others define you."

Orv

DiananColin
07-13-2007, 01:37 PM
We tow our Montana down from Ontario in September to Tampa, we spend approx 5 weeks and return home mid November to look after our clients accounts. We return to Tampa in January going home again in mid February for Tax Season and then drive back down again in May and return home with the Monty in mid May. This year we will bring the Monty down to Tampa at the end of September, drive up to New Jersey mid October so as to sail in the Queen Mary 2 to England, stay there 6 days to visit relatives in England and come back on the Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas to Ford Lauderdale, from there we will fly to Newark, pick up the truck and drive home. We will drive down to Tampa in January, fly to LA and do a cruise from LA to Miami and drive home from there. It's a hard life!!!!

Okie Guy
07-16-2007, 03:51 PM
How do we vote? there are no check boxes next to the catregory but it says the poll is open.
Weekender here

mikeguscott
07-21-2007, 09:41 AM
I have a 10 year lease on a spot at a gun club that hosts major trap shooting competitions. It's in North central PA.Two hours from home. It's there from April to September. We stay from 2 days to 2 weeks 7 times a year. I believe I checked the category.

Searchers
07-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Until May of this year we would have been considered vacationeers, but with the wife's recent retirement we've spent 7 weeks on the road so far and we're getting ready to go out for 6-8 weeks more so I voted as a long timer.

deerrahn
07-26-2007, 02:54 PM
We started out as weekenders, but have gone to extended trips. With our other 5th we took three 2 month trips and as you can see in our picture, this is a 4 month'r. What are we? HAPPY and having a lot of fun. See you in Goshen in September.

Driftwoodgal
07-29-2007, 12:38 PM
I had to vote as a vacationer because that is all that we have used it for so far. If a hurricane hits we will be longtimers as it will be our home where ever the storm hits.

We are having a great vacation right now here in Nashville, TN. We have a 3400RL parked behind us and another model Montana parked next to us. We haven't got to meet our neighbors yet, hopefully we will before we pull out on Wednesday.

Colleen

rames14
07-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Terrie and I have done weekends, vacations and seasonal all in the same year. This year we do not have a seasonal site (yet) but due to homeowner covenants, we will soon find a place to keep Monty ready to go. We spend over fifty nights a year in our 3400, but only once have we spent more than two weeks. Unlike other seasonal campers in some places, we like to have a site we can get in and get out of in a hurry for the next trip. And, now with three grandchildren, we use it to commute on weekends to see them. The only category we didn't fall into was long timer or fulltimer. We hope to be a long timer eventually, but its more than five years off. Until then, we'll have to live vicariously through our MOC friends.

Sweetfire
08-27-2007, 03:30 PM
I've been living in mine for a month now in Prescott and plan to stay here at least a year. Having a real comfortable time. I'm staying at Orchard RV Ranch, nice place, clean and quiet. There are several other Montanas here in the park but I haven't met any of them yet.

jsrang
08-29-2007, 04:46 AM
We have been living in Monty since August 04. We spend about 8-9 months in a Ameri-Cana Park near Melbourne FL and the remaining Summer months visiting the Grandkids in the Upper Midwest. No second thoughts whatsoever. We love our lifestyle and can't think of a better way to spend our retirement.

mike johnson
09-03-2007, 04:38 PM
We voted vacationeers! We spend about 7 to 10 days every 4 to 8 weeks on the road, in California and Oregon mostly. It depends on what family obligations we have going on at any given time. But as much as we love our Montana we also love to come home to Petaluma, a very fun town. We just got back from a week in Santa Cruz 2 days ago. So basically we have the freedom to go wherever we want whenever we want as much as we want. It's the ideal lifestyle, don't you think?

guru1961
09-16-2007, 01:02 PM
We voted long timers. We spend all year in our Monty but have a stick house in Alabama...that is for sale!! We spend so much time in it that the stick house is uncomfortable now. We would rather be in our "home"!

Karl and Lois
09-17-2007, 06:01 AM
Karl and I have been in our fifth wheel 5 months. We closed on our house July 11 and became full-timers. We are both newly retired and I love it. We are in northern MN and plan a trip through the southwest and landing in Texas close to Padre Island for 5 months. We have a 2955RL (2005) 250 Heavy duty Ford Diesel. (2004) We wieghed in at 1640 lbs under weight. We sold everything, guess I could have kept my shoes, but we love it. We did a little remodeling, we took out the couch and put in an oak desk with a fancy rug, plus desk chair and antique rocker. It is our little den. with a table and chair set the floor space looks larger. I have a bit of gypsy and look forward to seeing the entire USA. Our kids are grown live everywhere and busy with their families. We are also looking forward to the full time lifestyle.
I have good hope
Karl and Lois

garyka
10-04-2007, 01:53 AM
couldn't find the place to vote

Glenn and Lorraine
10-09-2007, 03:13 AM
Well I don't mind a label. We are "FULL TIMERS" and have been since Oct 18, 2003. We purchased our first RV, an 04 2955RL, in September of 03 and less than a month later we were "Full Timers". This past summer we traveled across the US. Put well over 10,000 miles on the Monty and, for the most part, really enjoyed it. Over the past 4 years, we went places and saw sites we never would have seen had it not been for our lifestyle. We do spend 6 to 7 months in Florida each winter but we are still in our Monty and still "FULL TIMING IT" and still doing the site seeing thing.
Quite often we are asked "where is your home". More often than not they give you a strange look when we say "Right here in whatever RV park we happen to be in". For us "Home is where you park it" works for us 150% and we wouldn't have it any other way.
Also by not being property owners we don't pay property taxes and school taxes. We also don't worry about the stick house up keep such as painting, paper hanging, etc. We haven't cut grass, trimmed the hedge, racked leaves, shoveled snow, pulled weeds, etc in the past 4 years. We also don't worry about the stick house while we are on the road.
To Lorraine and I it just doesn't get any better.
Speaking of labels, they also tag us with labels such as "Trailer Trash", "Gypsies" and "Vagabonds" and so on. Well than "Trailer Trash", "Gypsies" and "Vagabonds" is what we will be and loving every minute of it. This is what I love about the U. S. of A. We can pick and choose how and where we want to live and to he&$ with anyone who doesn't agree.
Now I am not naive enough to think that everyone can or will become Full Timers but this is their option and if Long Timing, Short Timing, Weekender, whatever is their bag than so be it.

Jim Jarvis
10-17-2007, 06:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Well I don't mind a label. We are "FULL TIMERS" and have been since Oct 18, 2003. We purchased our first RV, an 04 2955RL, in September of 03 and less than a month later we were "Full Timers". This past summer we traveled across the US. Put well over 10,000 miles on the Monty and, for the most part, really enjoyed it. Over the past 4 years, we went places and saw sites we never would have seen had it not been for our lifestyle. We do spend 6 to 7 months in Florida each winter but we are still in our Monty and still "FULL TIMING IT" and still doing the site seeing thing.
Quite often we are asked "where is your home". More often than not they give you a strange look when we say "Right here in whatever RV park we happen to be in". For us "Home is where you park it" works for us 150% and we wouldn't have it any other way.
Also by not being property owners we don't pay property taxes and school taxes. We also don't worry about the stick house up keep such as painting, paper hanging, etc. We haven't cut grass, trimmed the hedge, racked leaves, shoveled snow, pulled weeds, etc in the past 4 years. We also don't worry about the stick house while we are on the road.
To Lorraine and I it just doesn't get any better.
Speaking of labels, they also tag us with labels such as "Trailer Trash", "Gypsies" and "Vagabonds" and so on. Well than "Trailer Trash", "Gypsies" and "Vagabonds" is what we will be and loving every minute of it. This is what I love about the U. S. of A. We can pick and choose how and where we want to live and to he&$ with anyone who doesn't agree.
Now I am not naive enough to think that everyone can or will become Full Timers but this is their option and if Long Timing, Short Timing, Weekender, whatever is their bag than so be it.

I like your thoughts expressed here Glenn. I hope I can one day become a full timer just like you. What a lifestyle!

smc
10-28-2007, 01:48 AM
Full timers. Since May 15 2004. Spend the summers in Canada, as we have to, to keep our health care, winters in Arizona. We love it, though we are thinking of getting a park model for the winters here, It would pay for itself in the fuel we would save hauling the trailer down.

TLightning
11-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Long timer.

nghelwer
02-21-2008, 01:39 AM
We voted weekender however we also use our unit on vacations(7 days or more) and are looking forward to being long timers in 2 yrs. DW doesn't want to sell stick house because most of our grandchildren live close while others live in Guatemala (kind of hard to get 5th wheel down there.)

n4rzh
02-24-2008, 08:06 AM
We use it as a weekender of sorts. We are retired and go when we want. We have friends that we go with on weekends.

Retread
04-12-2008, 08:39 AM
We are Full Timers since Feb 06

Bill-N-Donna
04-22-2008, 09:42 AM
I must have voted on this before because I only see the results. However, we like to take one or two vacation trips a year and we also enjoy the weekends.

rving2us
11-09-2008, 02:18 PM
We do vacations and weekends and anything we can fit in between.
Jon

Art-n-Marge
05-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Hello all,

I realize this poll is now locked (can no longer vote) but it's fun reading all the comments from many of you. I believe a better description of a Full-Timer would be "Life-Timer" because I have only run into ONE person that was not happy with their decision. The word Life to me depicts a chosen decision to LIVE in your rig which is vastly different that someone who lives in a trailer because they have no other choice in order to survive.

Honestly, I hear some of the members joke of being trailer trash, but with the investments in their rigs and their efforts to keep them working and the toys and conveniences they buy for them, is not the mentality of a trailer trash resident who is unable to accomplish this. But I think we all know what is meant.

We have a stick house and we are retired. But we use our Monty often; more than a vacationer; way more than a weekender; but we have not spent more than about 12 days in it so I don't consider ourselves long-timers. We go out about every 1-2 months as an average. I thought we could call ourselves Part-timers but that's not quite descriptive enough. How about Any-Timer, meaning we go out when we feel like it for up to two weeks, more often than a vacationer, but not as long as a long-timer? Our friends or family with rigs come up with a camping date and we'll add days in front and in back and we meet them wherever they go. Or we get away from the stickhouse just because it's been a while and I want to USE our Monty, not watch it sit in our driveway.

We live in Southern California and we've towed lotsa places around where we live (California, Nevada, Arizona, that's about it) and mostly within a long day's drive away. However, we have driven (no trailer) or Amtrak'd to all but 10 states of these United States and tented, cabined, Amtrak'd or motel/hoteled it, because we choose not to fly. That means we've been to 40 states!

My hope is that one of these days we'll tow where it will be several days drive away, then we will have the experience of boondocking or overnighting at Walmart or someplace else using all the equipment I have invested in. I am now well prepared for travel especially hearing from fellow members who had the same concerns and solutions that I had and have given me the knowledge and confidence that we can travel and overcome "bad" events and get around new ones.

Thanks for all your help!

ndrzewiecki
04-26-2010, 02:45 AM
My wife, two daughters and I spend weekends camping around Michigan and get in one or two longer vacations during the summer months. You can't beat camping!

Les
04-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Weekender/Vacationer......Looking to go long timer in about six years.

Sinterior
04-27-2010, 07:13 PM
I guess we are long timers as we Snowbird in winter and have an RV lot in BC for the summer, and a small stick house we spend less and less time in for the rest of the year.

emorris548
04-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Missed the poll, due to being a 'long timers, with sometimes limited internet'. We spend 3 months in Baja for the winter and have a unlimited Thousand Trails membership. I guess we log about 5 months or more a year in the coach. Still cann't get rid of the stick house. Guess we realize that as we age it will be harder to travel, and I don't want to buy a house when I'm 75 or more.

clutch
04-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Well since this is about three years old we need to update. We used to be about half and half but now we spend about 9 months in the trailer. So kind of like 3/4---1/4. lol.

R Berry
06-22-2017, 06:13 PM
working on going fulltime doing some remodeling to the house planing on selling and then staying one step ahead of the law!:whistling:

Phabask
03-09-2018, 04:26 PM
Only when work takes me out for more than. 3 months did 4.5yrs in my last Montana it was a 2013 RL3700 it’s time to upgrade want washer/dryer & dishwasher,residential fridge,

mtlakejim
03-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Weekends and vacations now. Primarily base camp to support our very active lifestyle

Retire in 8 years then extended trips and some snowbirding but will never sell our sticks and bricks in the Ozark Mountains!

Mike117
03-09-2018, 10:10 PM
Retire in 3 months. Snowbird starting this November until April. Have a HC and it will work.

jeffba
03-10-2018, 03:46 AM
DW refuses to use showers at campgrounds. Catch me around a campfire for details.

RoadRunnerTR21
03-10-2018, 05:19 AM
We like to just get away even if it's 1 hour out. We like the change of scenery.

richfaa
03-10-2018, 07:56 AM
This is a great poll. Our first post was in 2007 the year we purchased our 06 3400 and hit the road. We wore that one out and are now in a 2013 3402 Big Sky. We are more than long timers but since we have An S&B not full timers, We spend 6 months in Florida or other warm areas during the winter and for 6 months are based at our S&B were we have a RV pad,full hooks, 50 amp installed. We travel extensively and have traveled over 100K since 2007 so we may be out 9 or 10 months of the year but after 12 years are slowing down.

The Bone
03-10-2018, 08:13 AM
Not sure what category I fall into. When we purchased our 2003 3280RL we hooked up and did a weekend at a lake near our house. Everything was great so for our next trip we went across the country to Florida visiting as many places as we could along the way. That was 3 months. Then next trip was across the northern states to Maine. Visiting as many places as we could. Another 3 months. We have been to 52 different places on out travels. So far we have towed our Monty 26,000 miles. Wanting to trade up next year. Everything in my Monty still works like new. Going to be sad to see her go but we are beating it up a little with all the crappy roads. I keep up with all the maintenance. And fix any little thing so it doesnt become a big thing.

Dave W
03-10-2018, 09:06 AM
An oldie thread:thumbsup:

We try to do a short spring trip, then a seasonal site on Lake Champlain late May - mid August until the kids go back to school in the fall then out on a long trip for 5-6 weeks, Our average nights in our 2014 High Country is about 82/year. We may not make that spring trip if my S&B and 5er projects are stopped by the continuing Nor'easters

dieselguy
03-10-2018, 09:50 AM
I'll keep the re-awakening of this thread going. Up until the last couple of years after a hard day on the lake water skiing and power boating exploring the shoreline ... we'd head back to the fiver for a nice camp fire, meal, and shut eye for the next day out ... maybe 3-4 weeks out of the year. Since I no longer punch the "ole time clock" ... we've been hitting the road for a month or so at a time revisiting the places across the US that were of no interest to me when I was a kid in the back seat of Dad's station wagon. We've been burning a lot of diesel, but it has been worth every gallon.

AZ Traveler
03-10-2018, 11:46 AM
We try to get out every few weeks for short trips and then a one or two month long summer trip. Headed to Canada this summer and then back to AK next year.

mlh
03-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Mine is a great place to take a nap. Good night!
Lynwood

lundwc16
03-21-2018, 01:10 PM
We live in the North East, & head South with the Montana in tow 2 or 3 days after Christmass. We head back home the 1st or 2nd week in April, depending on the weather. The Montana then sits till we spend three weeks in it at the Cape Cod Canal in Sept.
John

mtlakejim
03-21-2018, 02:03 PM
Like many of you we are sort of half and half. We use it regularly for weekends but also vacation in it too. So really we are both.

And what about those folks that are retired and take 3 month long vacations but still own a S&B. Are they long timers or vacationers?

And after all isn't full timing sort of full time vacation LOL....

Need to modify the poll to allow us to use percentages of each category I guess....

topjustice
03-21-2018, 02:33 PM
We used our previous SOB on ten acres of treed and view property we own in Idaho (no home there but large 2600 sq. ft. garage/shop). When we pick up the on order Montana 3791RD in Indiana in May it will have a new home on the property. I built a nice RV pad with 50 amp service, water (well) and sewer (septic). We use it on weekends or any other time we want to get away from town where our home is (only 10 minutes away from home but much higher elevation). In the winter we store the RV in the garage/shop (18 ft. ceiling; 14X14 roll up door and two 10 X 10 roll up doors). Camping on the property is better than any campground. Plenty of deer, wild turkey, porcupine, and occasional moose or bear. Once or twice during the summer we usually hit the road to Utah, Yellowstone, South Dakota, etc. for a couple of weeks each time. Life is good!

Rondo
03-22-2018, 12:21 AM
Weekends-- Vacations-- Rallies-- and Snowbirding

Razrbk
03-22-2018, 01:02 PM
Fulltime

richfaa
03-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Full time , long time, Etc who cares.It is how long do you use the RV. We keep a S&B but are on the road most of the year.Many Full timers have a lot somewhere so does that change their status.I know full timers who have a lot in Ohio and one in Florida and exchange States every year they may travel 2500 miles a year but they are full timers as they do not own a S&B We may travel 8 to 10K a year but have a S&B. We know full timers that workcamp all over the country and full timers that travel all over the country spending a couple of months here or there. We know full timers that never move the RV but have no S&B...IMO the titles mean nothing

Lenny K
03-22-2018, 03:07 PM
We are in ours about 6 months of the year. This includes the 4 1/2 months we spend in Arizona every winter.

airboatart
03-22-2018, 03:49 PM
Full time since 2012

powerhaulic
04-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Still work summer and winter In Adirondacks of NY, but self employed.
We spend 6ish weeks in Oct. / Nov. then another 6ish weeks March/April in Florida.
We try to get out a weekend or two in summer, but its not easy......lol