PDA

View Full Version : too many mutts

Montana Rog
03-19-2007, 04:34 PM
How come some of you people with pets..like dogs, think you need 3 or 4 of them? Is it a control thing? We just came from a RV park and almost everybody had more than two. I like pets, but come on..just what does it take to make you happy. Then you take them to poop, and then when they do, you act like you never saw the pile or pick it up and walk away. Ya, I know it's not you...Then you want to go sight see, and leave them locked up in the RV and the little fur piles bark the whole time you are gone. I'm sittin there and have to listen to that racket the whole time. As soon as you hit the home stretch..they all of a sudden quit, and are not barking when you reach the RV. And then the leash law is not applicable to your hound. They gotta pee on my tires. I see people kissing their dogs too. Usually right after the dog licks their junk. I better quit before I really get goin..sorry..I had 4 months of it and am venting..I feel better now..Hopefully I didn't offend anybody...

Driftwoodgal
03-19-2007, 05:24 PM
I take it that you don't own a pet. Lumping every owner of an RV into your post is not fair. How many RV owners don't have pets? How many RV owners don't have a barking dog, but a cat the meows? How many RV owners pull their RV's with a gas motor and not a diesel..... when you fire that diesel up in the mornings or evenings it sure makes noise. How many pit stops do you take and take a potty break without using a restroom with a septic tank? That would be in ala natural... no public restroom?

Sorry I am a pet owner and I would rather stay next to lots of pets then some RV owners. Please don't blame the pet.. when they are exicted to see the owner, they can hear the truck and are welcoming their owner home. Do you have your TV to loud for your neighbor?

< removed content bordering on personal attack - hotr >

jrgwdenner
03-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Montana Roq, we are pet owners and have been upset by the behavior of many pet owners and their pets. That doesn't mean we're going to vent to a group of people such as those on the forum who have never caused us any trouble. When you vent to people it is not necessary or desirable to address them as though they are the perpetrators. You're blaming everyone here on the forum for people who have offended you elsewhere. It's bound to stir up anger in the innocent people on the forum.

ols1932
03-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Ouch! Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the rock.

Yes, there are some pet owners who should not have pets. But please don't lump everyone into one bag.

I don't have any pets but love them all. I just ask all pet owners to pick up after them.

Orv

Chuck and Carol
03-20-2007, 01:06 AM
We travel with two dogs. This year one will be a puppy and we are working hard getting him ready for camping. A different set of manners needed.
When we walk our dogs (on leashes) we carry with us small plastic bags I bought at Walmart. They are the type you put soiled diapers in. I even try not to "stink" up the trash.
We never leave our dogs tied outside unattended. Can you say the same about the kids or grandkids???? They drive us nuts. Running around the trailers screaming until 10-11 at night. What really gets me is when they ride their bikes and try to come as close as they can to us when we are walking with or without the dogs. Apparently helmet laws don't apply in campgrounds. Have you ever seen what damage can be done to a head of a child with no helmet when it hits gravel?? I have. When I see a child riding a bike as fast as they can (we can only do 5-15 in a car) at full speed, I call the office. I don't want to see or hear the results of a head striking the ground again.
You ask us dog owners to be more considerate. I ask parents and grandparents to do the same with the two legged creatures. A campground is not one big playground. They still need to supervised.

Carol

Park next to us. My dogs won't pee on your tires. But, don't look around toward the high grass ---- many men are out there. Not bird watching either.

Sunnyside
03-20-2007, 01:26 AM
OP, I feel your pain. I too hate loose or constantly barking dogs, stepping in dog poop, etc. I do however, travel with 2 dogs, a Chihuahua
and a Pomeranian. We walk our dogs only on a leash, in the dog park area, and clean up after them.

As the above poster stated, just because some kids are brats and run wild, does not mean that all parents are jerks. The same applies to pet owners. Please don't lump us all together, but I can understand your venting.

Jim

Montana Rog
03-20-2007, 01:41 AM
Guess I struck a nerve there..Sorry to all who I have offended. I just set up in a new RV Park, and it does seem to be the same wherever I go. Don't try to divert attention from the Dog subject to Kids, and Diesels..Got to address one problem at at time.

Mrs. CountryGuy
03-20-2007, 04:22 AM
Feel your anger and angst. Oh, ya, I got 4 yorkies. Why? Ya know, I ask myself the same reason, God must have had a reason to give me 4 to care for.

Many people believe the rules are not made for them, this goes in pet ownership and in all other arenas of their lives too. I see them speeding down the highways at 85 miles per hour all the time (just one poor example, but ya get the drift).

Barking while the owners are gone is one of my main concerns, and in my informal study of dogs left in rigs I find that the little critters that are left in crates or pens tend to be more quiet. They cannot run around and look out the windows and bark at everyone who walks too close to their HOME! Gotta protect that HOME! Find this particularly true with the little ones like mine who are considered guard dogs (check out a good dog book, look up yorkies, errr, guard dogs).

Course, a good part of the human population feels it is cruel to put dog in a crate. OK, cannot change your minds.

Sometimes mine do bark, but they won't be barking AT the windows where it is so easy to hear them.

Like I said, feel your pain and angst, I rarely walk my dogs past our campsite, in over 20 years of yorkie ownership, I have NEVER, and I mean NEVER been in a campground where we were not charged at by a dog not on a leash, or a 30 foot leash that allowed it to get well into the road. Nope, the rules do not apply to anyone but me (sad, eh?)

Oh, and I tend to get mouthy and passionate on this subject, just ask anyone who has ever stayed in a campground with me. SIGHHH

Let's face it, campgrounds are living in close quarters, ill manners really blow into gigantic proportions in a hurry.

DarMar
03-20-2007, 05:03 AM
We are the PROUD owners of two dogs that are every bit a part of our family. They are and we are well behaved and responsible. The behaviour of pets can be no different than human behavior. Having stayed in a few hotels recently with our dogs kenneled and quiet I've got to tell you that I wish I was able to kennel a gooood number of the noisy and inconsiderate human beings that walk the face of the earth. Yes there are irresponsible people out there, some of them have children, some of them have various pets, some of them just have themselves and it's there own behavior that is the problem. That's my point, human behaviour is at the root of these problems, it really isn't the dogs or the children's fault at all.

rogersuemegan
03-20-2007, 05:24 AM
We also have 2 pets, and enjoy them all of the time, can't say the same about some of the people we have meet. They are better cared for than some children and part of our family. Why don't you seek out campgrounds that have a no pet policy, you would probably be much happier. There is a very nice one just down the road from the one we are in. It is beautiful and we would have liked have stayed there except for the no pets, have become friends with many there, nice people. Barking dogs are one of my gripes and I also don't think that you should have to listen to that. We board our dogs at the local vets if we are going to be gone for a whole day.

ols1932
03-20-2007, 06:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Barking while the owners are gone is one of my main concerns, and in my informal study of dogs left in rigs I find that the little critters that are left in crates or pens tend to be more quiet.

I agree that those pets that are placed in their little kennels when the owners are gone are the best. I've yet to hear any disturbance from those pets when their owners are gone.

If every pet owner would take heed, I don't believe the first poster on this thread would have much to say about pets/owners.

Orv

Glenn and Lorraine
03-20-2007, 07:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

..... Yes there are irresponsible people out there, some of them have children, some of them have various pets, some of them just have themselves and it's there own behavior that is the problem. That's my point, human behaviour is at the root of these problems, it really isn't the dogs or the children's fault at all.

Amen to that. It isn't the kids or the pets fault but rather their parents/owners. The proper up bringing/training is lacking. Many adults, like those above, take excellent care of their children, including the furry ones, but too darn many have better things to do and therein lies the problem. It is due to these "A" holes that there are more and more +55 and no pet parks.

Dustytuu
03-20-2007, 08:17 AM
We travel with two dogs. We ALWAYS pick up our dog's doodles. We carry plastic bags from the newspaper. Always walk them leashed. We very rarely leave them in the trailer alone. They usually go with us or we don't go. They may bark a little when we leave but then they are quiet. We have checked this out. Almost every park we have stayed in.... unruly children will run past our dogs while we are walking them or run up to them to pet them. Our dogs are afraid of children. Some will ask if they can pet. Some don't. Or a tiny kid will be trying to walk a very big dog that they can't control. Our dogs have been almost attacked by this scenario. Or a dog running loose. Our dogs are well behaved and trained well.

I would suggest someone that doesn't care to live around pets, stay at a campground that doesn't allow pets. I think they would be much happier.

ols1932
03-20-2007, 08:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by Dustytuu

Or a tiny kid will be trying to walk a very big dog that they can't control.
I would suggest someone that doesn't care to live around pets, stay at a campground that doesn't allow pets. I think they would be much happier.

Amen. And families that allow a little child to walk a big dog should know that their big dog is going to want to sniff every other dog. Then they will pull the child along to get to the other dog. Have seen it happen time and time again. Not too smart.

Orv

KBLH
03-20-2007, 08:58 AM
As someone who has always had animals around....and children.... sometimes I would rather take the dogs!:D We have been traveling with our Shih Tzu "Lexie" for the past 2 years and I think she has as much enjoyment with the open roads and camping as we do. How many of you out there can see that their dog just knows your getting ready forthe trip? Ours starts racing back and forth in anticipation. It's quite comical. I agree, a leash and respect for others HAS to be maintained, as well as where they do...and what WE do with their business[^]. Shame on anyone that allows a dog to continue barking, run wild, and leave their markings.....they are probably the same people that have very unruly children.....That said....at the end of the day when Lexie climbs up on our laps to give us a kiss and her unfaltering love....What's better than that?

Kelly

jrgwdenner
03-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Our Greta picks up on so many signals that we're getting ready to move. She immediately wants to go sit in her beloved truck. I'm sure she's afraid that we'll leave her. She goes with us most of the time because she's the first one to the door and we can't get out without taking her!

DHenry
03-20-2007, 12:21 PM
We also travel with a pet. Our Lexi is a 3 1/2 year old 6 lb. Cockapoo. Obedience training is a must for us with our pets. It makes a wonderful pet and also teaches us how to handle them, big or small. I for one would not be offended at all if someone wrote a (polite)note and put it on our door if our pet was barking while we were out. We try to take her with us as much as possible, but sometimes we have to leave her in the Montana. When we do we pull the shades down so she will not be tempted by people who pass by close to the 5th wheel.

tollmann
03-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I guess that some people should not have pets and some should not have children. Its too bad these people don't know who they are. We not only have a pet but we have children that have pets. Hopefully we have been successful at teaching them manors and consideration. Pets have a place in our lives whether its to provide love, protection, or both. It is our job to show the pets the same in return. My 2 cents worth.

The Oldguard
03-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Montana Roq, we are also pet owners and also have grandchildren, And have to agree with you on some points about people and their pets, and others about the kids running wild but let us not forget about the parent and grandparent who along with the pets, and kids wander not around you’re camp site you are paying for, but right through it, if it is raining they may even walk under your awning to stay dry. Is it no surprise the poor little darling is barking it head off while the owner is there or gone. They are just trying to do the job of protecting their home.[:p][:p]

sreigle
03-22-2007, 05:07 AM
I had to go back and re-read the first post in this thread a couple of times because it seemed to me some of the replies went off on a tangent. Not all, but some. The original post had to do partially with dogs barking all the time their owners are away from the trailer. We, too, have experienced that and it is the height of annoyance for us. There is absolutely nothing we can do about it and yet our day is very difficult because of the constant barking. We paid for our site and should not have to put up with that kind of disturbance.

It is not very often we have encountered this but when it happens it is very frustrating. The problem I see is that as Montana Rog said, the dogs stop barking when the owners are nearing the trailer and, thus, the owners never know the dogs have been carrying on while they were gone. The only way I know is to say something to the owner or to the park management. I would bet most of the pet owners would want to know if there is a problem. For those who would not want to directly confront the pet owners, a word to the park management might be the best approach. After all, everyone who pays for their site deserves to not have to put up with that kind of racket, whether it be barking dogs or a loud party going on.

When we see someone's pet take a dump on our site and not pick it up, we are quick to open the door and say something to them. Vicki has been known to say "you ARE going to pick that up, right?"

We have had pets in the past but do not at this time. We chose to not have pets so one of our granddaughters and a daughter-in-law can spend time in our trailer. Both are allergic. We do enjoy being around the pets of our friends. And I can say all our friends' pets are well-behaved and have never caused this problem that we have seen.

The vast majority of pet owners we've met in rv parks are very responsible. The majority of dogs do not create a disturbance during the owners' absence. Like many other situations, it is the few who create the problems. But when you're living next to this problem, it is a major problem. In my opinion. All of this is just my opinion.

Chuck and Carol
03-22-2007, 06:18 AM
I think I am the one that took this off topic. I apoligize for that.

As a dog owner, I would want to know if my dogs acted up while we were gone. We usually take them with us unless it is extremely hot. Otherwise, I crate them and turn up the TV. Don't turn it up too loud, that could bother the neighbors.

I do say something to the campground owners. They seem genuinely concerned with my complaints. I have found in 8 out of 10 cases if I talk to the pet owners it goes in one ear and out the other.

We are still training our new puppy on "good" camping manners. When we can get our unit home, we will take him out there so he will be comfortable with his surroundings. Hopefully, he will get the idea and be a happy camper.

Carol

Dustytuu
03-22-2007, 03:56 PM
I would want to know if our dogs bother anyone. We usually take them where we go.

Judy jrgwdenner, When we meet in AZ in April....be sure and let us meet Greta.

jrgwdenner
03-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Dusty, no doubt she'll be with us and we'll gladly introduce her to you.

Connorsmom
03-23-2007, 08:36 AM
I swore I would never have another doggie after I lost Daniel. But alas, when I saw Molly at 10 weeks old, she stole my heart. I purchased her from another seasonal at the campground I belong to in the summer months. She has grown up camping, and does extremely well. She only gives out a low bark (more of a growl) if she thinks someone is in our "yard", but will stop when I tell her it's okay. I have tested to be sure, she does not bark when I'm not there. And she would never dream of getting on the furniture. All 80 pounds of her stays on the floor...LOL I live in an apartment complex, so I'm used to ALWAYS cleaning up after her, and having her on a leash. It angers me when other people walk their dogs over here by us, and they don't clean up after their dog. It's not fair, and I truly do not appreciate it! But, I'll be darned if I'm cleaning up after someone elses dog. That just ain't gonna happen. Any campground we go to, I will walk Molly even before setting up, and designate a "yard" area for her. After that, she knows she cannot go potty until I get her back to that spot. She is an incredibly intelligent dog.

The birds are a different story. I sit and watch people trying to figure out who's telephone is ringing, where the cat is coming from, and who's microwave is going off. The entire time it's Chloe, my african grey going through her sound effects...LOL I'm more concerned about the noises Connor and Chloe make, than I do about Molly. But, I think people are more used to hearing birds in the wild, so they don't notice Connor's "yelling" as much. At least, no one has ever said anything.

There are many "issues" that are more noticed at campgrounds due to being in such close quarters with our neighbors. It's just one of the aspects of camping that has to be dealt with. Sometimes it can be frustrating, and it can leave a negative aftertaste. But, you try to enjoy the space that you have created, and once you close your door, turn up your tv or stereo loud enough to drown that stuff out, (but not loud enough to infringe on your neighbor)...well, then you remember why you're there. Hey, it's all good...:-)

Jan

sreigle
03-24-2007, 06:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

I think I am the one that took this off topic. I apoligize for that.

Carol

Carol, I didn't mean to point fingers at anyone and I should not have stated it the way I did. I just wanted to get back to the key point Montana Rog posted as it is one of my pet peeves, also. As I said, the vast majority are not the problem. It's the few. And I think most owners would want to know there is a problem.

richfaa
03-24-2007, 02:07 PM
We had a sort of Australian Shepard Dawg for many years (15) and when it passed on we decided not to get another so we got this "Bird" instead.For some reason C.G's do not consider a bird a pet, They are more concerned with noise and poop However the bird can very noisy and its mimicking of various things can drive you nuts.The Dawg and I were buds..the Bird would rather peck on my head or bite off various parts of my body. I am not a fan of noisy pets or kids and dogs seem to more guilty of that than other pets.What bothers me more is the dog owner who thinks that "it is cute" and.. oh it won't bark for long.The dog is doing what dogs do..bark..and the owners are doing what many owners do..being uncaring and inconsiderate because "it is cute." The vast majority of pet owners are considerate of others but we seem to get the ones who are not next to us. Unfortunately it is having a effect as more and more C.G's are going to a no pet policy.

jchw
03-25-2007, 05:46 AM
I'm proud to say that we currently have 2 wonderful Border Collies residing with us. Both are obedience trained as well as compete in dog agility and dog flyball. I share everyone's "passion" about being a good dog owner. When left alone, our dogs are in their crates. No noise from them when others walk by. When we walk them, we carry bags, and at night time, I carry a flash light. But more than once I've used the light from my cell phone screen to pick up their "nasty" stuff.

We use to own 3 Rotweillers, and they were also obedience trained and we competed with them as above. When we would go in to Pet's Mart, they would heal, three abreast as we walked through the store. Yes, they were on leash, but I didn't have to have the leash tight. When we would stay in hotels, more than once people would needlessly take a wide birth around us. When commanded, all 3 would sit. They were wonderful, and rarely barked.

I believe even the smallest dog or the largest dog can be properly trained to be as obedient as "little kids" running around campgrounds. But at least I don't have to worry about someone yelling at me or my dogs for knocking over their drain line, upsetting their satellite dish, leaving "messes" around the campground, etc.

From a conscientious dog owner in in Texas...
John

P.S. I'm not upset with your monologue Montana Rog... just expressing the belief that any dog can be well behaved :-)

Rocky2
03-25-2007, 07:11 AM
We travel and live with 3 well behaved and friendly dogs - 2 Australian Shepards and 1 who is a mix of (our best guess) Rotweiller, Chow and Australian Shepard.
They are all rescued dogs and when we decided to go fulltime we could not just give them away - they are like our children (only better behaved).

We have had comments from people on how well behaved they are and they are much quieter than most of the children we have come across in our travels.

AND we always pick up after our dogs - I even pick up after other peoples dogs because I don't want to step in it either.

Laura

simonsrf
03-26-2007, 05:12 AM
In the past, I’ve been a pet owner. We now live in “square-inches” and do not have the room or desire to give up precious space and time to a pet, regardless of how much we think we would be loved by that pet.

Most people who have pets are responsible people who believe the pet could be a problem for others if not properly cared for; they worry about the care and feeding of their pets. …and then there’s the guy next to me who has a real nice dog, but twice in two days, the dog has wrapped his leash around my satellite dish. The neighbor was very apologetic for the dog. ?? We’ll be moving tomorrow.

…and then there are those “real smart” people who think they can talk to their dogs…. We are especially amused by the people who tell us what their dogs think!! …..guess that’s a subject for a different topic.

Boondocking is our solution to this annoying problem, works EVERY time for us.

M00N1
04-03-2007, 05:33 PM
we have one large dog and when we go out, we close all the blinds and leave the tv on or the radio. We have always asked when we return to the neighbours if she was a nuisance in any way and they always say they did not even know a dog was in there. She also has the air conditioning on, so all the inside noice stops her from hearing anything outside.

Trailer Trash 2
04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Sometimes a dog next to you in a campground is far better than a bunch of out of control children running through your camp or screeming there lungs off.
And there are some pet owners that should not even own a pet, much less bring it with them on a campout.

madeforeachother
04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I wish every camper would just be considerate to their fellow campers. Pretty much like the saying- do unto others like you would have them do unto you! That says it all, so when I hear a dog/dogs barking all day ruining what I was hoping to be a relaxing day for us, I take the problem to the source. First I write a note explaining that while they were out having a wonderful time and ruining their fellow campers day with constant dog barking that they have been warned and the next step is to contact the park management. I have not had a problem after this is done. Now for all of you dog owners thinking that I dislike animals, YOU ARE WRONG!!. I grew up with eleven dogs at the same time thru my younger years and know that when an animal is left alone for long periods of time it gets scared and that is what makes me mad!If their pets are like family as they say then take them with you when you leave for an outing. The pets will love the company and we back at the campground can enjoy the solitude for which we all are seeking.

simonsrf
04-09-2007, 06:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Sometimes a dog next to you in a campground is far better than a bunch of out of control children running through your camp or screeming there lungs off.
And there are some pet owners that should not even own a pet, much less bring it with them on a campout.

...and there are some parents who should not have children.

texdeano
05-08-2007, 03:24 AM
We do travel with one small dog and do look for parks that allow pet's.Looks to me like if anyone hates dogs that they would stay in the parks that do not allow pet's and everyone could be happy.