PDA

View Full Version : Laundry

Native Tex
12-09-2006, 06:49 AM
My wife has a question that maybe only long timers could answer. Most full timers would have a washer and dryer combo, we thought the long timers may not at this point. At any rate, if you do not have a washer/dryer, how and where is the best place to store dirty laundry until you can get to a Laundromat or home? [?][?][?]

jrgwdenner
12-09-2006, 07:19 AM
We have chosen to not get a W/D because we don't always like to park where we get full hookups. We like to get it all done at once during a two hour trip to a laundromat every week or ten days. We put a clothes basket on the floor of our shower and toss dirty clothes over the top into the basket. We replaced our floor hamper wire basket with a wood box that holds extra paper rolls of different kinds. This system has worked good for us. If we take a shower, or I should say 'when' we take a shower we just take the basket out of the shower until that task is done. I don't want to give up the storage in our entry closet for a W/D.

Montana Sky
12-09-2006, 07:39 AM
I found a small basket that fits on the top shelf of the front closet. It slides back behind the tv cabinet out of sight. Like Judy, I usually wait until I have enough to do one or two full loads at the laundromat.

Parrothead
12-09-2006, 10:32 AM
We use the hamper that is in the floor. I made a cover for the wire basket so you can't see our dirty undies if the basement door is open. In our previous 5er we used the shower as storage for dirty clothes but I like not having to move something to take a shower.
Happy trails....................

illapah
12-09-2006, 10:36 AM
We use the wire basket that is under the floor. I am not too sure that I am any happier with it than the plastic hamper that just sat on the floor. Wife says that right now she really doesn't want a built in washer/drier.

richfaa
12-09-2006, 11:19 AM
We are long timers and we have the W/D.When you are out for a month or more doing laundry at a Laundromat or at the campground laundry can get very expensive.Helen also made a cover for the in floor basket.

ols1932
12-09-2006, 12:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Native Tex

My wife has a question that maybe only long timers could answer. Most full timers would have a washer and dryer combo, we thought the long timers may not at this point. At any rate, if you do not have a washer/dryer, how and where is the best place to store dirty laundry until you can get to a Laundromat or home? [?][?][?]

We are full timers and do not have or want a washer/dryer combo. Marge says she can wash/dry a lot of clothes for the money it costs to have the washer/dryer. In addition, we have the washer/dryer room made into a closet for hanging coats/garments, collapsible clothes hamper, vacuum cleaner, brooms and other paraphenalia.

We had a washer/dryer in our 1982 40' Kountry Aire but Marge found that it took too long to do our laundry. Now she can go to a laundromat, load three or four machines and do the laundry in 1/4 the time. Before you ladies jump on me for her doing the laundry, I'm right there with her and I help fold and hang the clothes!

We have gone into some RV parks where we have been asked if we had a washer. When we asked why they asked, we were told that they didn't want people to use their washers because it overloaded their septic systems. I understand that, having worked a lot with septic systems in various places where we have lived prior to full timing.

There are many who are full timers (but I don't believe it is MOST) who have washer/dryer combos and swear by them.

Orv

rrheik
12-09-2006, 12:40 PM
We got one of those folding trash cans at Walmart for dirty clothes. We set it in the shower, and usually do a big washing every ten days at the rv park or a laundromat. We decided to put a small freezer in the water closet, which we have really enjoyed. Don't have any future plans to add a washer/dryer at this point.

barb and bob

Mrs. CountryGuy
12-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Ditto Sue and Orv

I can do many many loads of laundry for what it would cost me to purchase and install a washer/dryer.

I have the laundry basket in the basement and can stuff 3 weeks of laundry in there if the need arises (did once when we were both very sick, too sick to run to any laundrymat). I do not want dirty laundry in my shower, did that for 15 years, hated lifting it out every day for showers, LOVE my little cubby in the basement!!! [:p]

I don't want to give up the space at this point, ok, the dog gear takes up a lot of storage, :D ;) [}:)] ;) :D.

We constantly re-evaluate what we haul around and how it is stored. If I ever felt I could really give up the storage area, I might campaign for a splendide type washer/dryer, probably after I win a lottery somewhere! HA HA

I do not mind going to the laundrymat, and have yet to have some of the bad experiences reported here by others. If, I did have one of those experiences, I might change my mind quite fast! ;)

Glenn and Lorraine
12-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Gotta agree with Carol and Orv. We are full timers and a W/D is not only expensive but also additional unnecessary weight. Lorraine can wash and dry two or three loads at a laundromat in 1/4 the time it takes to do a load in a single RV W/D and that includes driving to and from the laundromat. We also have never had any kind of a problem at any laundromat.

We also use the laundry basket in the basement via the trap door in the floor.

SlickWillie
12-09-2006, 02:20 PM
On our Mountaineer, the toliet and one vanity is separate from the bedroom. This vanity has room under it for a regular size laundry basket. No w/d. We started out wanting one, then decided we could do without it.

Native Tex
12-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Hey gang as always you guys are the best and provide some good ideas. We have been using the shower/basket process like most of you. However, like someone said, we too hate to have to move the hamper to take a shower. I guess we will just stop filling the under floor basket with other items and start using it for dirty laundry. That was one of our fall backs, but we hoping some might have a very cleaver idea. Thanks again guys, we are still searching.

Native Tex
12-09-2006, 03:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Gotta agree with Carol and Orv. We are full timers and a W/D is not only expensive but also additional unnecessary weight. Lorraine can wash and dry two or three loads at a laundromat in 1/4 the time it takes to do a load in a single RV W/D and that includes driving to and from the laundromat. We also have never had any kind of a problem at any laundromat.

We also use the laundry basket in the basement via the trap door in the floor.

Glenn, Lorraine, Carol, and Orv I agree with you guys regarding the costs and loss of space with the W/D install. I guess in my mind, most of you guys just had one for convenience. I agree with Parrothead that you can wash and dry a lot of clothes for the cost. Thanks for the good words.:D

Joyce H
12-10-2006, 12:47 AM
We also opted to use a coin laundry versus having the WD in the Monty. When we calculated the cost, we found by the time we put that many coins in we would be ready to trade for a new Montana. LOL
Also like the time saving factor by doing two or three loads all at once. We only have to do laundry once every two weeks as we have enough clothing and sheets to carry us through. We use the laundry facilities ar the RV park. We also wanted the storage space in the WD closet. I have put several drawer plastic containers (available at WalMart) in the closet to keep things organized. We use the laundry basket and hatch under the stairs for dirty laundry. Like the idea of lining the basket so dirties are not visible when opening the basement door. Would also prevent those socks from falling through some of the openings in the wire.

Gpa_Dick
12-10-2006, 03:29 AM
We elected not to have the w/d option. Although we are w/d ready in the coach in case we change our mind. Like others said, the w/d closet provide lots of extra storage and I would rather have the extra weight from storage items instead of the w/d.

We did the laundromat trips when we first got married almost 39 years ago and it was a team effort like Orv mentioned for him. We too use the laundry basket in the basement. Good luck in your search. I am curious what some of the bad experiences at the laundromat were. Was it safety issues or bad washers/dryers? Can someone point me to a thread I can read?

Thanks.

-Dick

Parrothead
12-10-2006, 05:16 AM
Dick,
We have had several really bad experiences with laundromats and was one of the reasons we bought the washer/dryer. Dirty machines, coin slots that don't work, machines all full (especially true at CG) and once I lost some clothes. We didn't feel we lost that much storage with the W/D because you don't need as many clothes with you since you can run a load every day. We have shelves above the W/D that hold a lot of stuff and we have a wicker basket that sits on top of the W/D. Actually I was misquoted in one of the posts above. I didn't say you can wash and dry a lot for the cost. When we first purchased our Monty I was living in it full time while working away from home. That is when we purchased the W/D also. I did a calculation on how long it would take for the W/D to pay for itself. It was just over a year if I remember correctly. Another point at the time I had to wear "dress up" clothes to work and laundromats don't do well with nice clothes. The combo Splendide uses very little water so I'm not sure why CG don't like them. We have not run into this problem yet. I like the idea that I can start a load of clothes in the morning while still in my PJ's and having my coffee. Sorry for the long post.
Happy trails........................

mfoss
12-10-2006, 05:30 AM
I agree that you can do lots more laundry in a fraction of the time by going to a laundromat. My reason for having my own is that I'm a bit of a germ-a-phob. Oh, I tolerate our own germs quite well, ha ha! I just like using my own toilet and shower too. Things like public door knobs, shopping cart handles etc.....I'm getting off subject. It's nice for me to be able to wash whenever AT HOME. I have a Splendide combo (vented). Marilyn

Sunshine
12-10-2006, 08:17 AM
We have a collapsible mesh laundry hamper that goes at one end of the closet. We can go at least a couple weeks without having to do laundry. We're plumbed for W/D, but that closet is for coats and other storage.

CanDo
12-10-2006, 08:47 AM
We thought long and hard before having a Splendide (vented) installed because we, too, used the closet for storage. We finally realized that since we always come back to the rig after a day's outing, we can start a load of wash while sitting outside with a toddy, or getting dinner started, and kick back and relax. This is truly one of those personal preference decisions. What works for us may not work for you. Whatever you decide, you will enjoy your rig - your way. We haved a small wicker basket on top of the washer for dirty laundry. We used to have a mesh laundry hamper which we kept in the big front closet, but did some relocating when we installed the w/d. This way all the laundry stuff is in one place. When we wash the sheets, we take them off the bed, into the washer/dryer, then back on the bed. I love freshly laundered sheets - they smell so good and are so soft!

Bowie
12-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Personal reasons we will have a W/D in our long-time unit:
1.Someone else's bubble gum hard dried all over our bedding.
2.Observation of what goes in CG laundramats dirty and comes out clean--this from being parked in sight of laundries in several campgrounds:
..... Outdoor rugs
..... Dog bedding
..... Cleaning rags after rigs are washed and dried
..... Work clothes from road crews
..... CG owners bathroom cleaning rags

Enough!

adelmoll
12-10-2006, 10:52 AM
1- Someone had left a tube of lipstick in a dryer and even our blue jeans were ruined.
2- Dog hair stuck to our clothes
3- Dirty laundry rooms
4- Clothes shrinking or turning yellow from the dryers

That is why I don't like the Laundromats but I still use them when I'm in a hurry. I am very cautious though and usually wipe out both the washer and dryer before using. I use my Splendite for most of our things.

Bill Hill
12-11-2006, 03:45 AM
Even though Shari would agree regarding being a "germ-o-phobe", we use the laundramat in the CG rather than having a W/D. The W/D closet in our 2980 is the coat & shoe closet. We keep a laundry basket in the main closet for the dirties. The basement is too full to be able to use the laundry "chute". We do the laundry together and get it done in 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Of course, we're still working right now, so time is an issue. I also did not want the extra weight, especially since the W/D closet on the 2980 is in the bedromm and would add directly to the pin weight, which is already high.

Roamingusa
12-11-2006, 07:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by Native Tex

We keep a regular laundry basket in the bedroom closet, under the hanging slacks, jeans, plenty of room. The wire basket is full of shoes and the attachments for the central vac.
We do have a washer and dryer, as we are fulltimers and have been for 12 yrs. We have had the same washer and dryer from Sears for 10 yrs. I do not like what I see in public/rv park laundromats either. The final straw was when I was in a public laundromat in town a girl came in with a new baby in tow and a diaper pail full of cloth diapers (yep I guess some people still use them) and she proceeded to put the diapers in the washer NOT RINSED OUT ! I also have had dog hairs come out of the washer on clothes, lipstick, gum ect. I walked into a laundromat here in Reno one am and there were homeless people sleeping under the tables covered with abandoned clothing. NOPE! I'll pay the extra electric and sit home and watch General Hospital while my laundry is going ! LOL

rickety
12-19-2006, 01:11 PM
We use the laundry basket that came with the MOnty, don't have a W/D, wifey doesn't want one, says she can do a ton of laundry in the laundromat for what one would cost.
I tend to agree, and the time is much quicker.[:p][:p]

bob n pam
12-19-2006, 02:17 PM
We are fulltimers without W/D. Since I've never had one, I don't know if I would like it or not. But, we just take our to the laundromat every week to 10 days. We also keep our dirty laundry baskets in the shower.

rvfirefighter
12-20-2006, 12:48 AM
We do not see the need to have a W/D. We like the extra room, we do not stay on sewer enough. We have "Wash Day" when needed and get-r-done.
As far as cleanliness, if I was that concerned, I would not eat out at fast food restaurants or any restaurants. After 30 years as a firefighter, germs are everywhere and a laundrymat is low on the list of problems.

richfaa
12-20-2006, 04:27 AM
We have not yet used our recently installed Splendede, We had 7 days worth of "on the road laundry) and did not want to run that much through the splendede.The laundry facilities here are squeaky clean but cost us 1.50 per wash load (3 loads) and 1.00 per dryer load (3 loads) that equates to @ 30.00 per month.We have just about determined that large bulky things will still require a Laundromat but if they are as nice as the faculties here..no problem.We will begin to use the Splendede.In the 3400 front closet which we use as a pantry the only room we lost was floor space.The unit is 33 1/4 inches high and did not infringe on the shelf space in the closet at all. Everything is a trade off when rv'ing and our trade off was 33 1/4 inches of floor space for , in our opinion, a bit of convenience.For the number crunchers the money factor was not the issue.Making our life a bit easier was..We never considered a W/D something we needed prior to long timing. I doubt that in all our years of weekend and summer vacation camping we used a laundromat 7 or 8 times. We just took our dirty laundry home..Home is now 2300 miles away and we won't be back there till April.

Parrothead
12-20-2006, 06:30 AM
This is another of those topics - if you have it, you love it - if you don't, you are happy with your way. We love ours. If I had been in Rich and Helen's shoes, I would have done all of it in the Splendide. We don't always wash every day and I have had a week's worth when we were busy doing other things. So I just start in and do one load after the other. In the meantime, we watched a couple of movies, had a great steak dinner, went to the store, took a walk, had a nap and read. Plus I didn't have to go hunt quarters. My clothes were clean and put away the minute they came out of the dryer. JMHO
Happy trails.................

richfaa
12-20-2006, 07:19 AM
We are learning Sue..We will start using the splendede on a every couple of days basis and see how that works for us We would rather do as Sue describes rather than hang around a Laundromat no matter how nice it is///

Dustytuu
12-20-2006, 07:38 AM
We have a stack washer/dryer and I love it. I don't like to hang around a laundermat doing laundry. We do one load every day and doesn't take long. Watch movies, walk dogs, cook, sit outside while laundry is being done.
We use the basement laundry trap door storage for dirty clothing.

sreigle
12-20-2006, 11:47 AM
We have the stack and Vicki does a week or more worth of laundry in one day, allowing her to watch TV or whatever while the laundry is going. The laundry chute we use for cleaning supplies, like Windex, etc. and have a separate hamper between the dresser and the drawers under the TV. The lower drawers contain seldom accessed things so this works for us. I know some like laundromats but our past experiences with them leave us with no desire to do that again. Just our opinion.

Broome101
12-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Rich, DW uses our at night or evening one load before bed the other while we are going to bed and finished up while we are sleep, get up in morning run it in dry cycle to get wrinkles to min and done. She would not be without it.

Parrothead
12-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Oh thing I forgot. You can have a cold one while you are doing the laundry when you do it in your Monty - or a glass of wine or whatever.
Happy trails.....................

Glenn and Lorraine
12-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Or you can go out to eat a 4 course meal with cocktails during the time saved by doing the entire load at a laundromat in under 2 hours.

RKassl
12-20-2006, 11:36 PM
At this time we feel that it is not worth carrying a w/d in the Monty. On some of longer trips we would do laundry every two weeks. We use the basket in the floor to store dirty cloths.

rvfirefighter
12-21-2006, 01:16 AM
I love this debate on W/D, it is gradually leaning toward eating and drinking. That is one area we can all agree.
Wonder if the RV'ers in a nudist colony debate on this topic.

refocused
12-21-2006, 02:11 AM
Our cat, Murphy, forbids us to ever get a washer/dryer - that is his little cueva and he does not wish to be evicted!

Glenn and Lorraine
12-21-2006, 03:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by refocused

Our cat, Murphy, forbids us to ever get a washer/dryer - that is his little cueva and he does not wish to be evicted!

And that is part of my point.. There are so many other useful things that space can be used for, even a cat house. And you're not hauling around all that extra dead weight. As a full timer extra weight can come in of other stuff and by not waisting my money on a W/D I have money to buy that other stuff.

Montana Sky
12-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Sue,
I like the way you think! Any reason to enjoy some "adult" beverages is good for me. I doubt in this coach, but the next one will have a set of stackable washer/dryers in it. Especially since you can now order them direct from Keystone to be installed while the coach is being built. Price is pretty equal to what my dealership could have installed them for...

sreigle
12-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Some of us have a different opinion. We abhor laundromats. We've had nasty experiences in them, including in RV parks. We LIKE having our washer and dryer here where we can be home while doing laundry, able to do other things rather than sitting around in a laundromat in an uncomfortable chari. Much more a pleasant experience for us to do our laundry right here. And we still find places to store everything. We feel NOT having a washer and dryer in our rig would be a deal breaker for us. Everyone has their own opinions and their own priorities and should go or not go with a w/d for those personal reasons and only those reasons. In my opinion.

By the way, I read an article in an eNewsletter from Woodall's where they recommend NOT buying an RV washer and dryer but getting an apartment sized w/d instead. When we bought this 3400 we went with a new Majestic washer/dryer stack that was designed for an RV. We had those pulled out and our apartment sized w/d from our tradein installed into this 3400. The tubs on these hold so much more than the RV w/d and just do a better job, in our opinion.

Vicki doesn't do laundry every day. She normally does it once per week. Las Monday she started around noon and did 9 days worth of laundry by evening while able to do other things around the house at the same time. She could not have done that in one day with the RV sized w/d.

To have or not to have is a personal decision in my opinion based purely and only on a person's own preferences, priorities, and desires. For us it's a no-brainer. But our decision is no more correct for anyone else than anyone else's is for us.

Ozz
12-21-2006, 12:46 PM
I am on the same page with Steve, as many of you know, we have the Maytag's, 220V dryer. The dryer really is powerful, the capacity is very large for an RV. Sue could do 4 pair of jeans in the washer, and easily 4 in the dryer.
It has an automatic sensor, the dryer shuts off when it drys the clothes, even if it is set for a longer time. They are warm and dry when they come out.
I would do it all over, and recommend it to all. Our small combo reefer and freezer and the Monty's freezer are plenty for Sue and I, after all, are close enough to towns if we run low on frozen foods. JMHO..........
Sears, Lowe's, and many appliance centers.
Ozz

Wannabe Full-timer
12-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Does having the 220V dryer installed by a dealer void your warranty portion of your electrical system on the Monty??? Ozz, where did you buy your apartment size Maytags? I was actually leaning more towards a Sears brand but I would want the one that holds the most clothes and does the best job. Have you compared these two brands as far as capacity??

I would rather have the 220 dryer as I have had experience with a 110 in the past and it took a long time to dry clothes but this was years ago and things may have improved considerably. (The park we would be "living in" does have new 50 amp service). I wouldn't want to void our warranty though either.

Ozz
12-22-2006, 03:39 AM
They would have to prove that adding a 220 circuit to the dryer damaged a system. I would be the one to repair any electrical problems anyway. Just like my addition of a bike rack on my hitch, I bought this unit to enjoy my time in it, if a warranty problem arises in connection with any of my mods, I will deal with them on it.
We got them at Sears, but I have seen them at Lowe's and appliance dealers. These are the biggest ones that will fit into the space we have.

Wannabe Full-timer
12-22-2006, 04:11 AM
Ozz, thanks so much for your reply. We sure appreciate it, as always. :)

My SIL is a saleslady in the appliance dept. at our local Sears so I will have to talk to her about the Maytag versus Kenmore apartment size washer and dryers. She is pretty knowledgeable about the appliances they sell and a very honest salesperson too I might add. :) Of course, it would also depend on whether the Maytag or Kenmore set would fit in the 3295 closet too (?).

While we have no electrical knowledge/abilities as you do (but then we all know you are the KING of mods! LOL True!!), I think I might still be inclined to take my chances and go with 220V for a dryer and have a circuit installed for it as I think I would be much happier with the dryer. We would have it installed by a qualified electrician (the dealer???) and plan to purchase an extended warranty (but not sure added electrical would be covered??).

Ozz
12-22-2006, 05:38 AM
The dealer may not be the best choice for the electrical work. The hat they are wearing is warranty minded, and self serving, as they will not want to get into any situation that they are unfamiliar with. Also they (may not) be qualified for electrical work in this degree. I agree with your first thought of an electrician-a real one. He, or she, will find it no big deal.
I would think the extended warr. would be fine if the electrical was done by a qualified electrician.
You will not be sorry doing this addition.
Ozz

Wannabe Full-timer
12-22-2006, 05:47 AM
Thanks Ozz. I appreciate your input and, when the time comes, we will pay for the certified electrician to do the 220V installation if we live full-time in a Monty. :)

c5racer
12-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Ozz,
Can you run your 220 dryer on 30 amp service? Just wondering, cause a lot of the campgrounds we visit don't offer 50 amp service.

Ozz
12-22-2006, 07:04 AM
No, but Check out the 'cheater' at CW, you can get 50 amps that way.

richfaa
12-22-2006, 07:39 AM
We used our 2100 Splendede for the first time..we are happy campers..does a good job...not fast ..but good...beats waiting in a Laundromat.Thanks all, as usual, for the great advise.

virgil47
12-22-2006, 09:45 AM
When we bought our used Montana, the stacked washer and dryer were already there. On our March through August trip this year we found them to be very convienient. We always washed on rainy days, leaving the sunny days for exploring the territory we were in at the time. This issue is probably not as important for fulltimers because everyday is a vacation day!
During those periods of non-rainy days, we washed a load a day if we wanted. Just found the darned thing very convienient and expect it would be pretty hard to talk my wife out of it today. We never worried about the weight, even when pulling with the F250 PSD. I like what David said about this discussion getting around to eating and drinking. I sure like to eat.

sreigle
12-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Our 110v apartment sized dryer is relatively fast at drying clothes. It takes longer than the 200v dryer in our stick home did but Vicki says it is not objectionably long. This is an apartment sized dryer, not one designed for an RV, however.

If you go with the Sears Kenmore, several here have reported they come with a switch so you can run the washer or the dryer but not both simultaneously. Dustytuu's husband (an electrician) wired around that so they can run both. So you might make sure the installer takes care of that. Our Crosley/Whirlpool units both run at the same time.

mjflora
12-27-2006, 01:01 PM
We're sitting in a campground just outside of Dallas and I decided to do my first load of laundry in our combo machine. I'm sitting in the back at the desk and it just went in to spin cycle and I'm bouncing up and down. Is this normal? Would a kingpin support help? Or maybe our rig isn't stabilized well enough to begin with? What do you think?

Driftwoodgal
12-27-2006, 01:33 PM
We aren't in our Monty long enough right now to worry about the washer/dryer thing yet. When we do start staying in it for longer periods we will look into the pros and cons of buying them.

While reading the posts it looks like the women wash most of the clothes. You guys best be sure that you are remembering to buy some fresh flowers, the Hallmark card..... etc. You don't want the little woman to go on strike. :D

Colleen

richfaa
12-27-2006, 02:07 PM
We have now used our splendede a few times now and it does send a vibration throughout the 3400 when it goes into spin. I think we could be stabilized a bit more.. however I figure the vibration goes with the territory.

DonandBonnie
12-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Rich,
Just curious. About how much laundry can you put in one load with your new Splendide and how long does it take to run full cycle?

richfaa
12-27-2006, 04:18 PM
According to our owners manual...the length of time depends on which cycle you use. The wash cycles run anywhere from 45-80 minutes to wash and the dryer cycle runs from 30-120 minutes. It also says that you can put a full set of sheets and pillow cases in one load (for a queen size bed). It uses very little water and lower amounts of electricity. When you watch it wash, you wonder where the water is... it's very different. The book says to load the laundry based on the drying load since the barrel is small and there is less space to dry. It's not as easy to interrupt a wash load and at certain points, it won't let you open the door if you interrup it... but overall, it does a great job washing and drying. Vented is the only way to go. We've heard from several people, who don't have vented units, that they never really dry completely. We have found that if everything is not dry, we remove the dry stuff and put the damp stuff back in for a short tumble. The dry cycle is very easy to interrupt. (Helen wrote the above..not me..)

Parrothead
12-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Ours vibrates a little but we don't bounce up and down. Are you sure the w/d is level. That would cause a bounce if it isn't. The spin cycle is the only time it vibrates. Otherwise we aren't even aware it is on. It takes a bit of trial and error to get use to it but in the long run we feel is the only way to go. BTW we have the smaller of the 2 Spendide combos and I do the sheets in two loads. Flat sheet with a few underwear or towels and then fitted sheet and pillow cases. I like the way they come out better that way. JMHO
Happy trails........................

sreigle
01-06-2007, 03:23 PM
The only place we feel vibration is a very slight vibration in the floor when you are standing next to it, on certain cycles. But ours is a different brand, Crosley/Whirlpool and a stack, not a combo. But that shouldn't matter. When we had the Majestic stack in here, we got a lot of movement in the rig. So I think it has at least partially to do with the stability of the w/d. You might also make sure all the packing materials were removed. On the Majestics I read that if not all are removed, the result is vibration. Ours are running right now and have been for several hours. No vibration.

Ozz
01-06-2007, 04:53 PM
A HVAC note; remember with a vented unit, you are drawing air out of your RV, open the closest window or vent, otherwise, the air is being sucked through the slide seals, stove vent and places that will not be what you would choose first.
Air out=air in.
Ozz

Parrothead
01-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Okay, Jim, I' not following you. Where is the dryer getting the air? Isn't the motor or fan in the dryer creating what blows out the vent? The washer/dryer is completely enclosed. We always have vents opened anyway and there is that vent in the top of the closet in the 3400.
Happy trails......................

sreigle
01-07-2007, 05:06 AM
Jim, in the 3400 would it likely be drawing air from the cold air return under the step? I would think there would be air passage via that vent. At least we get cold drafts from there in the winter. Just wondering if that's sufficient. I'm not real excited about opening a vent on laundry days when it's 8 degrees F outside. :) That return vent is right next to the w/d closet, as you know, so the path of the air from the vent would not be throughout the coach.

Parrothead
01-07-2007, 05:22 AM
Steve
Our return air vent is not under the steps. It is in the Kitchen in the island. That was changed in the late 2005's to under the step. Since we aren't camping in cold weather I don't think I'm going to worry a lot about this. But I still don't understand Jim's comment.
Happy trails...............

patodonn
01-08-2007, 03:34 AM
Agree with Orv & Marge and Glenn and Lorraine..we are full timers, and have made good use of the space which would be occupied by the W/D. I don't think that "most" full-timers have (or want) the W/D, for the reasons stated by others above. I would try out the "without" option for a while before making a decision to get a W/D a install it. It sure takes up a lot of usable space!!

Best,

richfaa
01-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Will agree with wait and see if you want one or not.. We did....we got one.

sreigle
01-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks, Sue. I see I read your other post backwards.

We did laundromats on two, three, and four week vacations. That was our "wait and see" period. There was no doubt in our minds that we will not fulltime without our own washer and dryer. But this is very much a personal decision to make the best use of that space to meet your own priorities. For us it's a no brainer. Washer and Dryer. For others it's also a no brainer - storage space. To each his very own on this one.

Native Tex
01-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Steve - after about some 6 weeks of everyday RV living and trips to the laundromat, it is now a given, we will need to invest in a washer/dryer if we are to long or full time. It seems we are very dirty people and did not realize how many dirty clothes we accumulate on a weekly basis. Of course, living in a stick built home, with everything there, and plenty of room, the laundry was not that visible. Thank goodness we have the room and plumbing in place in the Monty.

dsprik
01-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Native Tex, we also must be dirty people. Cheryl seems absolutely amazed at the amount of clothes I can go through in one day. I think I just spill a lot. Maybe a diet???

We have been FT now for almost 6 months. We are saving up now for a w/d. Cheryl has decided... We are looking at the new(?) Splendide stackables. Trying to balance the loss of the top part of our closet for storage vs the capacity to do laundry at a much higher rate.

richfaa
01-08-2007, 04:20 PM
The splendede 2100 is @34 inches high . We still have 3 shelves of storage space in the W/D closet in the 3400 which we use as a pantry not to mention 25 inches of space between the top of the W/D and the lowest shelf. The W/D is working now. I am doing this and watching the football game...(aagghhh)..Helen is working on our travel blog. Doing the laundry is a non event.

patodonn
01-09-2007, 09:09 AM
'Zxactly correct...strictly a personal decision..We opt for the extra space, and prefer once a week for several loads of laundry (while out and about on other tasks) rather than small amounts, daily, in the rig. One less thing to break down, initial cost, adding a drier vent, ya-da, ya-da. Flip of the coin..

Best to all,

Delaine and Lindy
01-09-2007, 05:51 PM
We did our laundry today, at the Rv park we are in very nice Rv Park. We are in Benson Arizona, and laundry room was nice but small. We sold our Splendide 2100 in Mission Tx. DW ordered a new Splendide stackable W/D and its already in Mesa Arizona and have appointment for install on 15 Jan. and DW can't wait. This is the first time we have been without a W/D. Since we are full timing we can't do without a W/D. Yes we will give up some space but will still have some space above the Dryer. Good Luck on your choice. GBY...