PDA

View Full Version : Ding in the Dish ?

old turbo
11-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Working on my dish to take to Texas. I just received my new tripod and all the hookup goodies from an E-Bay dealer. I put the Dish on the mounting pipe and I now notice a small bump.It is on the signal receiving side of the dish about in the middle of the bottom two flat mount screws heads. It sticks up about as high as the flat mount screw heads. It is not close to the lnb aim on the dish. I hate to haul this all the way to Texas and find out it may not work. I can not hook the portable system up at the home base because the only clear area to a satellite is on the second story roof. I am not going up on that roof. Any thoughts?

bsmeaton
11-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Not sure what the bump will do. Have you tried picking up a signal from the street (sidewalk) with your portable? I've seen some installs in attics because of the HOA, even though it is discouraged.

I usually don't have too many problems with anything accept ME. It will pick up through the truck, sometimes through the Monty, but if I walk in front of it there is catastrophic signal loss!

Just wondered if it would be good enough to test.

Parrothead
11-15-2006, 02:00 PM
I've seen dishes at CG with several dings and still working. I think you will be okay.
Happy trails.........................

bobgay
11-15-2006, 02:02 PM
For what it's worth, my dish has quite a few dings and dents in it from being dragged all over North America, but it still works fine.
Bob

Trailer Trash 2
11-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Just a dumb question but, why cant you take a small ball pen hammer and reverce the dent with a slight tap.[?]

richfaa
11-15-2006, 02:58 PM
My dish looks like it has been in a train wreck..Dings and bends all over it.. Vise grips and small hammer will smooth things out.

texdeano
11-15-2006, 04:17 PM
The one I use is dinged and bent but doesn't seem to bother it at all.

ols1932
11-16-2006, 02:08 AM
I saw a carnival worker at the fairgrounds in Chippewa Falls, WI who had DirecTV with a dish that had been run over with one of their trucks. He banged it out and his picture was great.

Orv

DHenry
11-16-2006, 03:09 AM
Sounds like the dingie dish will work. Thanks for bringing up the question as my dish has a small dent and I was wondering if it would affect it.

old turbo
11-16-2006, 06:13 AM
Thanks for all the help.It looks like mine might be in good shape compared to others.