PDA

View Full Version : HughesNet

gojodo
04-19-2006, 01:22 AM
I have been trying to research the best system for my new Monty that would provide both Internet service and television. I came across this system that seems to fit the bill but I have never had satellite tv so i am concerned that I don't know what I am doing. This system starts with HughesNet that offers high speed internet access. According to one site http://www.elitesat.com/Scripts/default.asp this can be installed in an RV and with a minor upgrade can be used to also recieve Direct TV signals. They say you can't get one bill because Direct TV only owns 50% of Hughes (or vice versa), but apparently both services could be available through one dish. If any of you know anything about these systems I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

jrgwdenner
04-19-2006, 02:28 AM
Hughesnet was DirecTV until last month. You might want to do a search of Direcway for general system information. The term 'bird on a wire' refers to having your TV and internet signals coming in on the same system. Many MOCers use this system very successfully. You're right about the two companies not being totally connected.

Parrothead
04-19-2006, 01:27 PM
John, go to dustyfoot.com and you may get some answers. Also PM Hamrad (Dennis), he has the double hookup on his DirecWay. We decided not to combine ours because some times we will set up DirecTV when we won't set up the DirecWay.
Happy trails...........................

Coach Driver
04-26-2006, 03:14 PM
I have had the Motostat-Directway system since October and have been very satisfied with it . The only problem is that you have to have a clear shot at the southern sky but it is fast and works great.

Paul