PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on traveling in Canada

jrgwdenner
07-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Thoughts about traveling through Canada.

Traveling in Canada is a very pleasant experience. The country is beautiful and the people are very nice.
Diesel gas is cheaper than regular gas, $.88 C per liter versus $.99 C per liter. The gas stations can be
Very far apart. Fill up when you can.
The grocery stores may be small but they hold a lot of merchandise.
Be sure you have a percolator or coffee press for your morning coffee, if and
When you boondock. The McDonalds may be far, far away.
Thick grits are a good substitute for instant potatoes….if you’re from the South.
Don’t pay any attention to the “campground full” signs. Someone may have just left and you can
Get their site. Be sure to ask. Locals will tell you where to boondock.
Campground facilities in the Parks are very nice and clean.
The Rockies are more majestic than anything you can imagine.
Wildlife can and do appear anywhere along the road. Their presence is usually marked by a large
Group of parked automobiles.
The roads can be wonderful or horrible, just like the lower 48. Frost heaves are a reality but
They are very well marked. Speed limits vary and may be lower than you would expect out of
Respect for the wildlife’s safety.
Be sure to consider buying a National Parks Pass. It is good for a year and will quickly become a bargain.
Plan to travel in Canada. It is awesome.

Bill Hill
07-14-2005, 06:13 PM
What an awesome shot! Very nicely positioned with the mountains in the background duplicated on the rig. I asked Shari if we could leave tonight, she said "No", not for 1 year, 8 months, 10 days (when we retire).

Bill and Ann
07-15-2005, 01:20 AM
Judy and Glen. Neat post. As a Canadian, I think this is the first time I have every seen a post where an American has posted comments re their impression of Canada. We notice things diff. when we head south also but mainly the lower price of beer and liquor. We sure pay a sin tax up here. Glad you are enjoying Canada. Not often you get more for your dollar. In more ways than one.

jrgwdenner
07-15-2005, 05:12 AM
Beer isn't the only thing that is cheaper in the US, Bill and Ann. I had to pay $.20 deposit on a bottle of cranberry juice and an oil change is $20.00 more. But it's all worth it.

It's worth the wait, Bill and Shari. We're having a great time but the time is going far too quickly.