PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July

Fordzilla
06-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Where will everyone be watching fireworks from? We will be in Winterset Iowa. Then traveling into Des Moines for the fireworks at sundown.

SAndreasen
06-24-2005, 03:29 PM
We'll be at Blackhawk Lake in Lake View, IA Celebrating the 4th and my grandson's 7th birthday!

sreigle
06-24-2005, 03:55 PM
The best (purported) fireworks show in the metro Kansas City area is maybe 300 yards behind this RV Park. This will be our third 4Th watching them from the hill about 100 feet from our rig.

bob n pam
06-24-2005, 04:27 PM
We'll be in Glen Ellyn/Glendale Heights, IL.

Parrothead
06-24-2005, 05:03 PM
We are having our usual July birthday bash at our stick house. One daughter born on the 4th (she is in Florida so we will celebrate long distance), one daughter on the 9th, one granddaughter on the 11th and one grandson on the 17th. And my pocket book is empty after all this!!
Happy trails...................

Fordzilla
06-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Steve sound like a nice place to be parked over the 4th. Maybe we will have to look into traveling down there next year.

Sue & Ed sounds like a busy month.

Wordsmith
06-24-2005, 05:23 PM
We won’t have to go far from home, just to Athens, Georgia to see the annual fireworks display there. Hope everyone enjoys the show and remembers the reason for the holiday wherever they are! :)

padredw
06-24-2005, 05:44 PM
There will be a very nice fireworks display here in our little town courtesy of our fire chief and member of our congregation, Bubba DeBerry.

Our big celebration will be on July 5 this year. We will have 6 or 7 couples, retired Methodist ministers and spouses from across East Texas for our annual barbeque. The one day delay is to give our friends opportunity to be with younger family members over the long weekend.

Montana_2785
06-24-2005, 10:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by bob n pam

We'll be in Glen Ellyn/Glendale Heights, IL.

Bob & Pam,

I lived in Glendale Heights for several years. I'm now in Carpentersville. How long will you be in the area?

As for the 4th, we will be in Wisconsin a few miles SW of Milwaukee. We were there last year and saw good enough fireworks for us.

Eric

old turbo
06-25-2005, 03:25 AM
Hickory Hollow Campgroung, Utica, Ill. July 30.July 1 and 2 Cuttys Des Moines Camping Club In Grimes West of Des Moines,Iowa.July 3 KOA Gothenburg NB. July 4 Corral Camp & RV Park Ogallala NB. then on to Denver.Anyone ever stayed at any of these parks?

jpkelpe
06-25-2005, 03:34 AM
we have friends that have stayed at Cuttys and they really like it. I think there is a big rodeo at North Platte over the weekend of the Fourth--you might want to check that out. (Ogallala is just down the road from N.P.:)

jpkelpe
06-25-2005, 03:36 AM
we will be staying home for the fourth--our first grandchild (boy) :D:Dwas born 6/23 and we will be having relatives for a picnic at either our house or son's house. we can see fireworks from our front yard.

hodag
06-25-2005, 04:36 AM
we plan to be at a campground/golfcoarse near tomah, wis. don,t think fireworks will compare to the show they put on at lakefront here in milwaukee.

Iowafan
06-25-2005, 05:40 AM
Looks like most of the fireworks are in the midwest! I know that's not really the case. We will leave Nebraska, south of Yankton, SD, on July 1st and head for Flathead Lake in Montana. We'll be somewhere around the lake on the fourth so I don't know where or if we'll see the fireworks. Hope we can find some somewhere even though Greta won't like it. Judy

Bill DeMeulle
06-25-2005, 06:46 AM
Iowafan,we will be at the Flathead Lake in august,first time back in over 50 years. I worked at the Flathead Lake Lodge when I was 16 for the summer,absolutely fantastic experience for a city boy.We will be at Morro Strand RV park in Morro Bay,Calif. from the third to the fifteenth.

sreigle
06-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Bill DeMeulle, we'll be at Hungry Horse, MT, just north of Flathead Lake from 7/14 to 8/14. If timing works out maybe we can get together during your stay there.

Bill DeMeulle
06-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Steve, that would be nice. I will try to make it work.

Bill Hill
06-25-2005, 05:17 PM
We'll be in Prescott AZ for the 4th, and understand that they put on a pretty good show. Our current hometown of San Pedro CA has several good shows in the L.A. Harbor area: Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro and the Queen Mary across the harbor in Long Beach CA. A happy, SANE 4th of July to all. Aren't we the lucky ones who can live in a country that can celebrate its freedoms like we do. And it's another opportunity to think of and thank all those who have given so much to make it so.

awaywego
06-25-2005, 08:55 PM
We will be in Cody Wyoming for the forth.
We were there in 2003 but can not remember if they have fireworks but they have a great parade and redeo.

FredG
06-26-2005, 12:05 PM
We will be in a PA state campground near Gettysburg for the weekend. Planning on watching some of the re-enactments and seeing more than just the driving tour of the battlefields.

Fred

ronstan
06-26-2005, 02:15 PM
We will be camping at eel river campground in churabusco,IN. Till Sunday night and will then come home and watch the fireworks here in Ft. Wayne. We will be leaving on Wed. for WV for our National Campvention.

NJ Hillbilly
06-26-2005, 06:38 PM
My parents will be at Mt. Rushmore and we'll be in Gettysburg Pa. Going with a few families from our local group. Staying in Artillery Ridge, they have horseback turs of the batlefields. I'll be sitting the tour out, I have toddler duty.

Happy and SAFE 4th to EVERYONE!!!!

John

jrgwdenner
06-27-2005, 01:47 AM
Bill, your trip to Flathead should bring back a lot of good memories. Have a great time. Sorry we're going to miss you and Steve and Vicki. We'll be heading north about July 8th.

Jeff Heiser
06-27-2005, 06:10 AM
We will be cheating this year. Staying at a motel on Mederia Beach near St. Pete Florida. We have a family get together planned (we do it every year) and have over 10 rooms reserved. Plan to be pool side all weekend spending moot of my time either in the pool or hot tub.

God Bleass America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida

sreigle
06-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Jeff, we recently had occasion to stay in a Holiday Inn Express for a few days and a Baymont Inn for 3 nights. It just made us appreciate our Montana that much more. Have fun on your trip.

toolmanroy
06-28-2005, 12:14 PM
We had not planned to go away this weekend but at the last minute we decided to try to find a destination within reasonable driving distance with an open spot. We had a good time at Lake Siskiyou in May and I put them on the list to call. They had just one spot open and we took it, so we are going back to Mount Shasta this weekend. :D

tweir
06-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Going to one of our favorite parks---Dos Picos in Ramona, CA. The Katz love the place---lots of birds & squirrels to watch. Its my B'day on the 4th., so I got to choose. Its only a 45 minute drive from the house, but seems a world apart. Everyone, please drive safely---seems like holiday weekends brings out those who should not have a driver's license...!

Broome101
06-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Be at Pigeon forge, TN at KOA right beside Patriot's Park where there is huge 4th celebration ever year. Last year Aaron Tippen and Oak Ridge were there free concert in the park then at night huge fireworks display.

Bill DeMeulle
06-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Steve, it doesn't seem we will be at Flathead until 8-17 staying in a Kalispell park,then down to West Yellowstone for three days on the 20th.Is US14 a good route to take to Rapid Falls from West Yellowstone.

sreigle
06-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks, Bill, I'll take a look at US 14. Looks like we'll miss you then. We leave Hungry horse on 8/14, arrive at Island Park, ID, on 8/15. Sorry we'll miss you.

SRD
07-04-2005, 04:11 AM
We'll be home for the 4th, but my son and I went to the Pepsi 400. Great race (even with the 2 1/2 hour rain delay). Fireworks show after is always awesome. Hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th of July.

sreigle
07-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Happy birthday, Tweir! You're one of the few people I know for whom govt entities all over the country go out and celebrate with fireworks!

Parrothead
07-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Happy Birthday Tweir. Our youngest daughter's birthday is also today. She was probably 4 or 5 before she realized all the celebration was not for her! We've been thinking about going to Ramona for a few days. We've never been there even though it is not far for us either. We need to travel on flat ground until we get our new truck. Is Ramona fairly flat coming from the North?
Happy trails...............

tweir
07-05-2005, 03:56 AM
Sue & Ed,
I see you are comming from Hemet. The 15 is fairly "flat"---only two long grades; (1) just outside of Temecula heading south and the second, around Rainbow just before Escondido. If you take "the 78" from Escondido to Ramona there is one area just on the other side of the Wild Animal Park that is a little hilly, about 3-4 miles worth, but your 454 should have no problems. The other route off of the 15 through Poway is a bit steeper but several miles closer, at least to San Marcos. Either way, I don't think you'll have any problems.

sreigle
07-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Sue and Ed, we'd recommend while you're at Ramona that you trek to Julian and look around this neat old town. And have some pie from the Julian Pie Company (fabulous pie!).

Tweir, we used to live in Poway (1974-77) on Ridgedale Dr., just a block north of Poway Road. Seems like a long time ago. When we were out there this past October it sure has grown!