Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
stephan dittrick
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: gulf breeze
Posts: 5
M.O.C. #21567
camping world

I would like to share my experience with the camping world in Robertsdale AL.
The wife and I found a Keystone Montana that we liked. ( We are looking to go full time in the near future) So the wife and I wanted to see where we stood with our credit and everything. I am also trading in a boat. So Camping world ran my credit and it was a 719. Now the wife and I know our income to dept ratio is tight until we sell the house but was told that you have to own a home to get a RV loan by the finance guy at camping world. So we discussed with the finance guy that once we agree on a price and numbers that we would just run it though M&T bank because we have a relationship with them. If we came back declined then we would know what we have to do. and my credit would only be ran 1 time. So as we are sitting with the salesman (talk more about him later) I start getting emails that my credit has been run. So I ask him what is going on. So before we agreed on the price of my trade and the price of the unit , I guess they just came up with everything and started sending this out to multiple banks. So my credit got run from 5 different banks. Needless to say we were not happy and they would not even send over a manager . The salesman also wanted to sell me a hitch. He said just to pay him cash and the hitch would be waiting for me in the back of my truck. He said he was going to purchase it with his discount. PRETTY SHADY. I hope to God it is not like this at all dealers because I am not going back there. And now I bet my credit scores fell below 700 because they hit it so many times... We are steaming mad and the manager today on the phone just seemed like I was bugging him and was really rude. Sorry had to vent
stephan dittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salem
Posts: 4,952
M.O.C. #2283
It’s CW. That’s all you expect from most of them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Wicked1
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Manahawkin
Posts: 255
M.O.C. #21100
Yeah you have to notify them not to shotgun it out there but when they run it, we found it is to 1 local bank, M&T which I told them never would I use that bank again, and then BOFA.

We put a lot of $ down and got the rate we wanted from BOFA.

Call around about the hitch or make them work that into the deal, they will do that if not then you can get it somewhere else, they quoted me $2,000-$2800 for the same hitch I can get on Amazon for $1400

Make sure whomever you do business with you discuss all fees and agree before signing. Most fees are BS so we only paid a $239 dealer fee but they gave us a better price and we got the deal we wanted in Columbia SC CW however would never go back or use their service again...

Good luck but you DONT have to own a home to finance an RV it is all based on credit and even with a 700 you should get a rate lower then 6%, tell them what rate you want bc if you don’t they will hand you 6.9% all day bc they make money on the loans.
__________________
2016 F350FX4 King Ranch CC SB 6.7PSD
2018 Keystone Montana 3121RL
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Ridgeville
Posts: 19,779
M.O.C. #2839
we lock our credit reports so they can not be assessed by anyone and only open them when we want our credit checked.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
DQDick
Montana Master
 
DQDick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wilsey
Posts: 16,726
M.O.C. #11455
Since we full time and run a lot of miles in a year, I keep a spread sheet of good and bad recommendations from here and facebook. Camping World has many more bad than good ones to the point where I won't take a chance, except on one we had to use early on and found was good, because the odds are too high it's a bad one.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Ridgeville
Posts: 19,779
M.O.C. #2839
We are same as DQDick We do watch the specials at CW and will purchase if the price is right and we need it. We have only used CW twice over the years for repairs and had good service. CW is high on their RV prices and they are a hassle to Negotiate with besides they never had a brand I was interested it.

We do not have a CW near us in Ohio and the one in Florida where we winter is a nightmare. They are however like a wall mart ,near everywhere and are around if you need one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
K0LCB
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Fresnos
Posts: 3,098
M.O.C. #13395
I bought my Montana 3750FL at Camping World of South Alabama in Robertsdale. They have always treated me good. I’ve actually never had a bad experience anywhere with CW. I am not affiliated with them, just stating my opinion
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Ridgeville
Posts: 19,779
M.O.C. #2839
In regard to CW. The price you pay for a RV is dependent on your skill as a negotiator
and the homework you did before purchase, camping world or anywhere else.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 2,171
M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
In regard to CW. The price you pay for a RV is dependent on your skill as a negotiator
and the homework you did before purchase, camping world or anywhere else.
AMEN

What I have been saying since day one

Best way to pay the least for the most is learn how to properly negotiate!! My advice is make the unit you want a commodity bid between at least 3 dealers. I found that CW is consistently able to offer significantly lower pricing due to their large volumes. I buy from the lowest price dealer but have service done at service ONLY business
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
Wicked1
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Manahawkin
Posts: 255
M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
AMEN

What I have been saying since day one

Best way to pay the least for the most is learn how to properly negotiate!! My advice is make the unit you want a commodity bid between at least 3 dealers. I found that CW is consistently able to offer significantly lower pricing due to their large volumes. I buy from the lowest price dealer but have service done at service ONLY business
This was my first new purchase, normally buy a few years old, fix and clean myself and use for a few years.

I shopped around, I found that most would low ball me on the trade, then offer a price a little higher then CW.

Only reason I bought from CW is I pinned 4 against each other, the deal I got was the lowest I could negotiate, the most offered for our trade and the least for the new unit, and they knocked $1500 more off to get the deal.

We got exact model we wanted with only the options we wanted. I would not return to this particular CW, however I did get the unit for the lowest I think I could have only because I called many dealers over 4 months and all were thousands away in price.

The biggest challenge I had was getting CW to toss the Freight, Prep, and all their other little charges, also they matched my Credit Unions rate but with better terms thru BOFA, however we are paying it off with our plan on 2-3 years so won't pay much interest.

I think there are a few things that will help anyone get the best deal they can

1). Know the wholesale values of your unit, and what they are selling for
2). work with a bank to get the lowest rate based on your credit so you can negotiate with the selling dealer.
3). DO not pay freight, prep, hidden fees, have that all worked out before hand
4). Do not show them you seem desperate to make a deal, they will find all sorts of ways to make it appealing to you and toss in hidden fees, they are out to make money so that is what they will try to do.

Good Luck
__________________
2016 F350FX4 King Ranch CC SB 6.7PSD
2018 Keystone Montana 3121RL
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 2,171
M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
This was my first new purchase, normally buy a few years old, fix and clean myself and use for a few years.

I shopped around, I found that most would low ball me on the trade, then offer a price a little higher then CW.

Only reason I bought from CW is I pinned 4 against each other, the deal I got was the lowest I could negotiate, the most offered for our trade and the least for the new unit, and they knocked $1500 more off to get the deal.

We got exact model we wanted with only the options we wanted. I would not return to this particular CW, however I did get the unit for the lowest I think I could have only because I called many dealers over 4 months and all were thousands away in price.

The biggest challenge I had was getting CW to toss the Freight, Prep, and all their other little charges, also they matched my Credit Unions rate but with better terms thru BOFA, however we are paying it off with our plan on 2-3 years so won't pay much interest.

I think there are a few things that will help anyone get the best deal they can

1). Know the wholesale values of your unit, and what they are selling for
2). work with a bank to get the lowest rate based on your credit so you can negotiate with the selling dealer.
3). DO not pay freight, prep, hidden fees, have that all worked out before hand
4). Do not show them you seem desperate to make a deal, they will find all sorts of ways to make it appealing to you and toss in hidden fees, they are out to make money so that is what they will try to do.

Good Luck
Agree 100%

Where most people go wrong is buying from someone they like personally or falling for the old we will give you better service if you buy from us. Keep the emotions out of it and dont listen to the sales hype!!
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #12
mobilcastle
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ravenna
Posts: 115
M.O.C. #11759
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
we lock our credit reports so they can not be assessed by anyone and only open them when we want our credit checked.
X2. Lock it up.
mobilcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #13
jking
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Twin Falls, ID
Posts: 176
M.O.C. #20361
The more you say NO, the better the deal gets.
__________________
Jim and Barb
Chica and Baby (the fury kids)
2014 3402rl
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #14
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: livingston,tx
Posts: 418
M.O.C. #21685
We bought our unit from Pete's RV in Indiana about 80 miles from Keystone, and paid $7,000.00 less from the Houston area in Texas. We picked it up ourselves and Indiana Dunes state park was our first stop on Lake Michigan. 2018 3790 RD
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #15
mmturtle
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Livingston
Posts: 14
M.O.C. #19521
Angry never buy from Camping world

I am 81 and have been full time for 15 years. We stopped in El Passo Tx. to get our state inspection done. Traded up from a 2003 sob to a used Mt. I am a life member of CW, had there road service and insurance and life time medical insurance. I found out after we left they had tacked on the contract every service CW offers including a new membership and a maint warranty. The first week I tride to use the warrenty and they would not pay for repairing the frig. I started at that time trying to cancel the plan. A year later I am still trying. I have written letters, called dozens of times and only get the run around. our awing riped and tried to have it repaired last month and was told I had to take the trailer to a CW which is 75 miles away to have it evaluated.
safe travels Jon
mmturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Ridgeville
Posts: 19,779
M.O.C. #2839
I assume you did not read the contract before signing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #17
mmturtle
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Livingston
Posts: 14
M.O.C. #19521
never buy from Camping world

I did but nothing was listed and was told that the $3000 for other was prep and labor for the things I added. I was told that the warrenty would take care of anything that was wrong with the trailer. It was getting late and we had been there all day. My wife has alzemers an was getting tired. I supose in hind site I should have I called it a day gone back the next day. I cant be leave I was so taken,
jon
mmturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #18
Wicked1
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Manahawkin
Posts: 255
M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmturtle View Post
I did but nothing was listed and was told that the $3000 for other was prep and labor for the things I added. I was told that the warrenty would take care of anything that was wrong with the trailer. It was getting late and we had been there all day. My wife has alzemers an was getting tired. I supose in hind site I should have I called it a day gone back the next day. I cant be leave I was so taken,
jon
Yep there are some dealers that are tricky, have to watch everything any dealer does bc once you sign those papers hard even with a lawyer to battle them.

I wish you the best of luck but if you feel strongly keep fighting until you get it resolved.
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #19
coachgrowl
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: ALAMEDA
Posts: 224
M.O.C. #20448
We use good sam. CW I believe is owned by good sam or maybe the other way around.
good Sam insurance for repairs has been good to us. Now I fix most of my own problems within reason. If you find a sleazy salesman RUN away.
__________________
2017 Montana High Country 310RE
2017 Ram 2500 Diesel, 4 wd crew cab, slr, pulrite super glide, short bed, 2 ea 100 Ah LiFePO4 12 volt Deep Cycle Battery
coachgrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:59 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Ridgeville
Posts: 19,779
M.O.C. #2839
3,000.00 for "other" would have got my attention.The deed is done and the chances that you will get out of it are slim.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×