Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
when this

Saw this, kinda funny that the tail is wagging the dog. I never experienced any swaying even with a bumper pull for 20 or so years, not sure why they let it get that bad before they put on the brakes.

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Years ago came up behind one accident similar. Happened right in front of us. Crosswind hit camper. DW was driving. Husband sleeping. Trailer started fishtailing. DW did not know what to do. Camper on its side and Truck on its roof. I turned off Propane tanks, turned off engine. Wife was able to crawl out window. Husband caught between roof and seat. Yes he had his seatbelt on. I crawled into truck and was able to release seat back so he could breathe. He then insisted in getting out of the the truck. I assisted since I could not stop him. He had a protruding fracture of his collar bone. Stayed with them until Dr. arrived on scene. Poor DW was beside herself with grief. Not sure if they had any kind of sway control.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
My wife and I had two tow behinds before we got a fiver. The 30' trailer handled great.....until I bought new tires for the tow vehicle. I was naive back then and didn't know about tire load rating. And I failed to tell the tire shop I towed a trailer. I ended up with C rated tires that looked good and rode fine. But when towing they were not up to the task. After several near disastrous incidents I had to buy an anti-swap hitch which helped a lot. But the proper tires would have prevented the problem before it started.
Point being, stuff happens. Towing an RV is not something to be taken lightly. And even those with experience can end up with the unexpected happening.

Travel safe out there folks.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote