Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Seamless roto-cast holding tanks

When we were considering (in October) trading our 2012 Montana for a new 2018 I noticed in the then current brochure that Montana had made a change to a new style holding tank and meant to discuss with our very knowledgeable dealer but I failed to do so. I just looked at the latest brochure on their website and see the same information.

I have noticed on the forum that there aren't many, if any complaints about holding tanks like there were about the old style tanks. It used to be that every day or 2 someone had a leaking tank. I know we had galley tank problems 3 times on 2 different Montanas we bought new.Was this change made at the same time tank heaters were added and also did they change the style of sending units being used? We full time in ours and after 2 full months the tank level readings are actually still working. On both the other 2 Montanas they worked properly for less than 2 weeks and I just learned to do without them.

My curiosity has been a awakened! Any thoughts/input?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think these are the same type of tanks that are in my MH. Many canoes are made in roto cast molds. If this is correct they are far superior to the ones now used. The ones in my MH are almost indestructible.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
If this is correct they are far superior to the ones now used.
Lynwood
According to the Montana brochure the roto-cast ARE now the ones being used.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I've noticed that too with our 2017. Seems like by now the old sensors were already worthless.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the 2013 year with the crappy tanks and were told that the new tanks are not comparable.It only took them a decade plus to improve on the tanks and sensors.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:23 PM   #6
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
Glad they finally started improving the tanks. I lost 3 tanks in 4 years and when I called Keystone I was told that they were not aware of any problem with the tanks and that they had sold very few if any replacement tanks!! Hope these become less of a problem for the newer owners!
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcgrew View Post
Glad they finally started improving the tanks. I lost 3 tanks in 4 years and when I called Keystone I was told that they were not aware of any problem with the tanks and that they had sold very few if any replacement tanks!! Hope these become less of a problem for the newer owners!
Keystone did not sell any holding tanks they come from the vendor.I guess they did not record the 10 tanks that failed on our 2 Montanas.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #8
gkonney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19870
We are Newbies and were lucky to have found a leftover 2016 3000RE Legacy Edition last May. It features the InCommand system and the Tank Monitoring system has never functioned properly so we learned how to estimate Grey Levels after the Shower filled up. Not a real problem but it would be nice if our "high tech" system was a bit more accurate.
It is interesting that we never read of others having problems with the InCommand system...ours also shuts the Water Heater down when it feels like it. It comes up with a "Check Water Heater" message meaning turn it back on. The Factory could not find anything wrong with it at the Fall Rally.
Thanks for the idea about getting a spare Anode and Socket for replacement on the road!
You can follow us at: https://campingkonneys.wordpress.com/
gkonney is offline   Reply With Quote