Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Mel B.
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Bay Area
Posts: 237
M.O.C. #19469
Battery question

When running a set of 4 6volt flooded golf cart battery's in
Equalization Mode do you remove the caps off the cells?
__________________
2004 2955RL 2nd owners 400 watt solar, 2000 inverter/charger 4-6volt golf cart battery's & a champion 3400 remote start dual fuel genny
2000 F-350 swd crew cab long bed 7.3 power stroke transflow 77 gal fuel tank.
Mel B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
mjammersc
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 361
M.O.C. #17609
Here is the description form the Trojan Battery User Guide - caps on tight.


4.4.3 Equalizing (deep-cycle flooded/wet batteries only)








Equalizing is an overcharge performed after fully charging deep-cycle flooded/wet batteries. An


equalizing charge prevents battery stratification and reduces sulfation which are leading causes of


battery failure. Trojan recommends equalizing every 30 days or when batteries have a low specific


gravity reading after fully charging, below 1.235, or have a wide ranging specific gravity of >0.030 points


between cells. Reference Section 8.3 for instructions on specific gravity measurement.






Deep-cycle AGM or gel batteries should NEVER be equalized.








Equalization can be performed either automatically (as programmed on the charger) or by following the


procedure below:






Check the battery’s electrolyte level in each cell to make sure the plates are covered before charging.


Check that all vent caps are secured properly on the battery before charging.


Set charger to equalizing mode.


The batteries will gas (bubble) during the equalization process.


Measure the specific gravity every hour. Refer to Table 7 for specific gravity and voltage








measurements. Discontinue the equalization charge when the specific gravity no longer rises.






WAR N I N G Do not equalize deep-cycle AGM or gel batteries.
__________________
2016 Montana 3160RL
855W Solar System, TriStar MPPT-60 Controller, Magnum 2800W Inverter, 6 Trojan T-105REs
MOR/Ryde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes & Storage Tray
2015 Chevy Duramax SRW SB Crew Cab
mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Poplar Bluff
Posts: 2,781
M.O.C. #13395
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjammersc View Post
Here is the description form the Trojan Battery User Guide - caps on tight.


4.4.3 Equalizing (deep-cycle flooded/wet batteries only)








Equalizing is an overcharge performed after fully charging deep-cycle flooded/wet batteries. An


equalizing charge prevents battery stratification and reduces sulfation which are leading causes of


battery failure. Trojan recommends equalizing every 30 days or when batteries have a low specific


gravity reading after fully charging, below 1.235, or have a wide ranging specific gravity of >0.030 points


between cells. Reference Section 8.3 for instructions on specific gravity measurement.






Deep-cycle AGM or gel batteries should NEVER be equalized.








Equalization can be performed either automatically (as programmed on the charger) or by following the


procedure below:






Check the batterys electrolyte level in each cell to make sure the plates are covered before charging.


Check that all vent caps are secured properly on the battery before charging.


Set charger to equalizing mode.


The batteries will gas (bubble) during the equalization process.


Measure the specific gravity every hour. Refer to Table 7 for specific gravity and voltage








measurements. Discontinue the equalization charge when the specific gravity no longer rises.






WAR N I N G Do not equalize deep-cycle AGM or gel batteries.
That's real good to know! Thanks
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
mjammersc
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 361
M.O.C. #17609
here is the link to the whole document. Good general info on batteries.


http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/Tro...UsersGuide.pdf
__________________
2016 Montana 3160RL
855W Solar System, TriStar MPPT-60 Controller, Magnum 2800W Inverter, 6 Trojan T-105REs
MOR/Ryde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes & Storage Tray
2015 Chevy Duramax SRW SB Crew Cab
mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
Mel B.
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Bay Area
Posts: 237
M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjammersc View Post
here is the link to the whole document. Good general info on batteries.


http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/Tro...UsersGuide.pdf
Thanks everyone
__________________
2004 2955RL 2nd owners 400 watt solar, 2000 inverter/charger 4-6volt golf cart battery's & a champion 3400 remote start dual fuel genny
2000 F-350 swd crew cab long bed 7.3 power stroke transflow 77 gal fuel tank.
Mel B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
topjustice
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Coeur D Alene
Posts: 109
M.O.C. #19835
4 6 volt batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
When running a set of 4 6volt flooded golf cart battery's in
Equalization Mode do you remove the caps off the cells?
When running 4 6 volt batteries, where do you set the other two? Usually there is only room for two batteries in the battery compartment. Thanks.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #7
carl n susan
Site Team
 
carl n susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Carmichael
Posts: 2,732
M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
When running 4 6 volt batteries, where do you set the other two? Usually there is only room for two batteries in the battery compartment. Thanks.
You don;t say what year and model you have, but most Montanas have plenty of room for four, or even six, 6V batteries. If you have the generator prep you might be too tight for six 6V but four definitely should fit. I use the white plastic battery box for four of my batteries.



Here is a description the of the four 6V battery box and one of the places you can buy one. Clicky
__________________
Carl (n Susan) Youngren
There is more to life than fuel mileage.
2012 Montana 3700RL Big Sky Package towed by a 2015 Ford F350 6.7L PSD 4WD CC LWB

carl n susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
topjustice
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Coeur D Alene
Posts: 109
M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
You don;t say what year and model you have, but most Montanas have plenty of room for four, or even six, 6V batteries. If you have the generator prep you might be too tight for six 6V but four definitely should fit. I use the white plastic battery box for four of my batteries.




Here is a description the of the four 6V battery box and one of the places you can buy one. Clicky
Thank you for replying. I haven't purchased the Montana yet, but I plan on getting a new 3791RD. Still trying to sell my 2014 Alpine 39 footer. In my battery compartment it's only set up for two batteries and you would have to drill a hole into the adjacent basement area to add any additional batteries. Glad to hear that the Montana is set up to accommodate more than two. Thanks again.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
artfuldodger
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chatsworth
Posts: 208
M.O.C. #10933
They warn you not to equalize agm and gel batts. Our converters do this automatically, so if I install agms how do I stop the converter from doing what it is programmed to do?
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #10
mjammersc
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 361
M.O.C. #17609
The progressive dynamics power centers with their charge wizard only charges at a max of 14.4V including its 15 min equalization mode once a day. That is the bulk charge voltage for AGM and Gel batteries so it should be OK, assuming that is the type of power center/converter you have.
__________________
2016 Montana 3160RL
855W Solar System, TriStar MPPT-60 Controller, Magnum 2800W Inverter, 6 Trojan T-105REs
MOR/Ryde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes & Storage Tray
2015 Chevy Duramax SRW SB Crew Cab
mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #11
topjustice
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Coeur D Alene
Posts: 109
M.O.C. #19835
Does the battery (front) compartment itself have outside vent(s)? If so, are they located?

Also if you are using 4 six volt batteries, which Century Plastics battery box is best and fits comfortably? The case that holds 4 batteries; two cases that hold two batteries each (side by side); or two cases that hold two batteries (lengthwise)? I'm asking because I don't have mine yet. The cases are linked below.

https://www.allbatterysalesandservic...fm/4,5576.html

https://www.allbatterysalesandservic...cfm/4,573.html

https://www.allbatterysalesandservic...cfm/4,576.html
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #12
carl n susan
Site Team
 
carl n susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Carmichael
Posts: 2,732
M.O.C. #4831
No, the battery compartment, which is the front storage area, and home to various electronic devices, does not have outside vents. The battery box which comes with the rig has lower and upper vent lines. You will need to adapt them to the replacement box (easy to do).

I use and recommend the 4 battery box. It fits easily is the available space and requires just one vent line which can be the same one previously installed by Montana.
__________________
Carl (n Susan) Youngren
There is more to life than fuel mileage.
2012 Montana 3700RL Big Sky Package towed by a 2015 Ford F350 6.7L PSD 4WD CC LWB

carl n susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #13
topjustice
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Coeur D Alene
Posts: 109
M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
No, the battery compartment, which is the front storage area, and home to various electronic devices, does not have outside vents. The battery box which comes with the rig has lower and upper vent lines. You will need to adapt them to the replacement box (easy to do).

I use and recommend the 4 battery box. It fits easily is the available space and requires just one vent line which can be the same one previously installed by Montana.
Thanks for the information. If the front compartment does not have outside vents then where does the battery box vent to? Just inside the unvented compartment? I thought it had to be vented to the outside to avoid hydrogen buildup, or am I missing something?
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #14
carl n susan
Site Team
 
carl n susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Carmichael
Posts: 2,732
M.O.C. #4831
The front compartment is anything but airtight. There are holes poked everywhere for landing gear, propane lines, hydraulic lines, and electrical. Never the less, technically there should be a dedicated vent for the batteries (yea I know some don't bother and with AGMs or Lithium, you don't need to) as the hydrogen gas doesn't play well with electronics. Montana will provide a 2" flex hose from the orifice on the top of the battery box to a dedicated exhaust port on the front wall above and to the right of the door. You just need to adapt that to your needs.
__________________
Carl (n Susan) Youngren
There is more to life than fuel mileage.
2012 Montana 3700RL Big Sky Package towed by a 2015 Ford F350 6.7L PSD 4WD CC LWB

carl n susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #15
topjustice
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Coeur D Alene
Posts: 109
M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
The front compartment is anything but airtight. There are holes poked everywhere for landing gear, propane lines, hydraulic lines, and electrical. Never the less, technically there should be a dedicated vent for the batteries (yea I know some don't bother and with AGMs or Lithium, you don't need to) as the hydrogen gas doesn't play well with electronics. Montana will provide a 2" flex hose from the orifice on the top of the battery box to a dedicated exhaust port on the front wall above and to the right of the door. You just need to adapt that to your needs.
Ah, there it is. So there is an exhaust port already there. That clears it up. Thanks.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #16
Mel B.
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Bay Area
Posts: 237
M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
When running 4 6 volt batteries, where do you set the other two? Usually there is only room for two batteries in the battery compartment. Thanks.
Sorry just saw this, I have plenty of room, 2 sets of 2 6v batterys with 2 battery boxes and a 2000 watt inverter/charger. And I'm thinking of adding 1 more 100w solar panel and adding 2 more 6v batterys?? Plenty of room in my older 2952RL
__________________
2004 2955RL 2nd owners 400 watt solar, 2000 inverter/charger 4-6volt golf cart battery's & a champion 3400 remote start dual fuel genny
2000 F-350 swd crew cab long bed 7.3 power stroke transflow 77 gal fuel tank.
Mel B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #17
Mel B.
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Bay Area
Posts: 237
M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
Does the battery (front) compartment itself have outside vent(s)? If so, are they located?

Also if you are using 4 six volt batteries, which Century Plastics battery box is best and fits comfortably? The case that holds 4 batteries; two cases that hold two batteries each (side by side); or two cases that hold two batteries (lengthwise)? I'm asking because I don't have mine yet. The cases are linked below.

https://www.allbatterysalesandservic...fm/4,5576.html

https://www.allbatterysalesandservic...cfm/4,573.html

https://www.allbatterysalesandservic...cfm/4,576.html
I bought 2 battery boxes at inter state each one holds 2 batterys and each one has a secure top that I drilled a 2" hole in each box top & bottom and I added a vent system. These boxes were about $75 each but they are better built then most.
__________________
2004 2955RL 2nd owners 400 watt solar, 2000 inverter/charger 4-6volt golf cart battery's & a champion 3400 remote start dual fuel genny
2000 F-350 swd crew cab long bed 7.3 power stroke transflow 77 gal fuel tank.
Mel B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #18
topjustice
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Coeur D Alene
Posts: 109
M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
Sorry just saw this, I have plenty of room, 2 sets of 2 6v batterys with 2 battery boxes and a 2000 watt inverter/charger. And I'm thinking of adding 1 more 100w solar panel and adding 2 more 6v batterys?? Plenty of room in my older 2952RL
Do you need a larger inverter with the extra batteries? The unit I will be getting comes with a 1000 watt inverter for the residential refer.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #19
Mel B.
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Bay Area
Posts: 237
M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
Do you need a larger inverter with the extra batteries? The unit I will be getting comes with a 1000 watt inverter for the residential refer.
No,not really? I bought the 2000 watt so we could be watching tv, make a bag of micro-wave popcorn (Which you might have a hard time doing with 1000 watt) and not interupt one or the other, also The wife likes her curling iron. I sometimes run a skill saw. The bottom line is no one really needs a inverter. This is my first solar system on any of my RV'S i've owned, but when you have one you need to figure your own needs, then decide about the size of your inverter.
__________________
2004 2955RL 2nd owners 400 watt solar, 2000 inverter/charger 4-6volt golf cart battery's & a champion 3400 remote start dual fuel genny
2000 F-350 swd crew cab long bed 7.3 power stroke transflow 77 gal fuel tank.
Mel B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.