Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
Good Life
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 93
M.O.C. #19869
Disappointed but not Surprised !

We brought our 3721 home last week, along the week long trip we made a mini vacation out of it. I noticed the A/C s struggling, return air grills would not hold a paper towel up!
Off to Home Depot!
I started working on it by removing the grills only to find the rough cut outs in the ceiling and duct was in some places 1" away from the inside of the grill ring, this was on all four!
I took a marker and a pair of tin snips and began to operate on the openings once satisfied I felt up in the ducts and they were almost mashed closed!Also in all 4 ducts low side it was full of sawdust! Vacuumed all out!
Off to Home Depot! Trip 2
Found some 12" X 1-1/2" and 6" pvc tailpiece , bought 4-12", 8-6" a small can of glue,roll of aluminum tape, all pieces have a slip joint on one end that can be glued together.
I pushed the 12" piece in first followed by 2-6" pieces with a little glue as close to the center as I could, as I finished each one I did the paper towel test, it almost sucked it out of my hand!
Finished all four returns and we were amazed with the difference in air movement!
I then proceeded to remove each register where I noticed they were sticking up into the duct within a 1/2" of the top, I took a tape, measured from the ceiling face up into the duct 1/4" and cut the stub off. Once I got all of them cut we noticed the temp was coming down, a lot!
I have 5 more registers coming, I will cut out and install till I think I have any hot spots covered!
Will report on my findings once installed!
Now to tackle the TV cable issue!
__________________
Bobby & Debbie
LSUisiana
2011 3580RL "For Sale"
2016 3721RL
Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
bshgto
Montana Fan
 
bshgto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hagerstown
Posts: 418
M.O.C. #16013
can`t make this stuff up

Really, how do those clowns on the line think they deserve a pay check, must be that Amish quality thing.
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salem
Posts: 4,946
M.O.C. #2283
Some times if you wont something done and done right just do it yourself. Whining don't help. You did the right thing and now the job is done.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
bshgto
Montana Fan
 
bshgto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hagerstown
Posts: 418
M.O.C. #16013
can`t make this stuff up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Some times if you wont something done and done right just do it yourself. Whining don't help. You did the right thing and now the job is done.
Lynwood
Your right. Where do you buy the frames for these things?
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
Good Life
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 93
M.O.C. #19869
Got the cable issue resolved, they had a splitter in the cable in not in the antenna cable!
__________________
Bobby & Debbie
LSUisiana
2011 3580RL "For Sale"
2016 3721RL
Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
jeff_banning
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Monett
Posts: 138
M.O.C. #20129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Life View Post
We brought our 3721 home last week, along the week long trip we made a mini vacation out of it. I noticed the A/C s struggling, return air grills would not hold a paper towel up!
Off to Home Depot!
I started working on it by removing the grills only to find the rough cut outs in the ceiling and duct was in some places 1" away from the inside of the grill ring, this was on all four!
I took a marker and a pair of tin snips and began to operate on the openings once satisfied I felt up in the ducts and they were almost mashed closed!Also in all 4 ducts low side it was full of sawdust! Vacuumed all out!
Off to Home Depot! Trip 2
Found some 12" X 1-1/2" and 6" pvc tailpiece , bought 4-12", 8-6" a small can of glue,roll of aluminum tape, all pieces have a slip joint on one end that can be glued together.
I pushed the 12" piece in first followed by 2-6" pieces with a little glue as close to the center as I could, as I finished each one I did the paper towel test, it almost sucked it out of my hand!
Finished all four returns and we were amazed with the difference in air movement!
I then proceeded to remove each register where I noticed they were sticking up into the duct within a 1/2" of the top, I took a tape, measured from the ceiling face up into the duct 1/4" and cut the stub off. Once I got all of them cut we noticed the temp was coming down, a lot!
I have 5 more registers coming, I will cut out and install till I think I have any hot spots covered!
Will report on my findings once installed!
Now to tackle the TV cable issue!


So was this a new old stock 2016 3721 or a used unit?
__________________
Jeff & Lori Banning + the Yorkies Lucy and Ricky
2018 3950BR
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:00 PM   #7
Good Life
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 93
M.O.C. #19869
Used 2 X
__________________
Bobby & Debbie
LSUisiana
2011 3580RL "For Sale"
2016 3721RL
Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
jeff_banning
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Monett
Posts: 138
M.O.C. #20129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Life View Post
Used 2 X
So my 2018 has been in shop since 7/3 on air conditioning and refrigerator issues... was wondering.
__________________
Jeff & Lori Banning + the Yorkies Lucy and Ricky
2018 3950BR
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
Good Life
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 93
M.O.C. #19869
Sorry to hear that, you will probably have to fix the A/C issue yourself unless you send it back to Factory to remedy problem! What Refrig problem are you having, ours has been flawless so far!
__________________
Bobby & Debbie
LSUisiana
2011 3580RL "For Sale"
2016 3721RL
Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #10
jeff_banning
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Monett
Posts: 138
M.O.C. #20129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Life View Post
Sorry to hear that, you will probably have to fix the A/C issue yourself unless you send it back to Factory to remedy problem! What Refrig problem are you having, ours has been flawless so far!
Norcold dual door. Runs 52 degrees on coldest setting. Supposedly they have fixed this issue, yet to see.
__________________
Jeff & Lori Banning + the Yorkies Lucy and Ricky
2018 3950BR
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:34 AM   #11
Good Life
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 93
M.O.C. #19869
We have a Samsung 3 door residential ! So X that off my repair list!
__________________
Bobby & Debbie
LSUisiana
2011 3580RL "For Sale"
2016 3721RL
Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×