Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
scottandanna
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Issaquah
Posts: 27
M.O.C. #20158
I need a replacement panel that holds the tank dump valve handles.

One of our hoses had a leak, and black tank valve started to wobble, so previous owner hired someone to fix it. Their fix was to leave the leak leaking, and put a large washer on both sides of the rotten wood. So I now have a large chunk of saturated and rotten plywood and two drain valves that are breaking through the material.

I need to replace the entire back panel. See pictures of front and back of panel.

Any idea where I could get one of these? I could make it, but it would be a lot of work, but not out of the question, if that is the route I will need to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170722_133812_resized.jpg (257.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20170722_133806_resized.jpg (271.9 KB, 7 views)
__________________
Full-time in a new-to-us '14 3402RL
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
DQDick
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Council Grove
Posts: 13,929
M.O.C. #11455
You might be able to order one from a Montana dealer, or you could go to the national rally and see if Keystone will fix it for you. If you could order one, my guess is the cost would convince you to fix it yourself.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
scottandanna
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Issaquah
Posts: 27
M.O.C. #20158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
You might be able to order one from a Montana dealer, or you could go to the national rally and see if Keystone will fix it for you. If you could order one, my guess is the cost would convince you to fix it yourself.
We are full time, and don't even own a vehicle to tow it, so it has to be repaired at the rv park.

That said, I agree with you 100%. I am already trying to locate all my hole-saws, etc. because I am afraid they will want $500 for this part, and I could slap one together in a couple hours for about $25.

I have a couple emails out to local shops to see if they can locate one for me.
__________________
Full-time in a new-to-us '14 3402RL
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
DQDick
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Council Grove
Posts: 13,929
M.O.C. #11455
You might check and see if there are any RV salvage yards near you.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
scottandanna
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Issaquah
Posts: 27
M.O.C. #20158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
You might check and see if there are any RV salvage yards near you.
How would I find one? Can I google "RV salvage"?
__________________
Full-time in a new-to-us '14 3402RL
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master
 
rohrmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Box Elder
Posts: 1,716
M.O.C. #12947
If you have the leak fixed, and the plywood is drying out, why don't you just go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a piece of 1/8" aluminum 2" wide, cut a couple pieces, drill holes for the drain pulls in addition to holes for 1/2" sheet metal screws and put one in front and the other behind. That should give you plenty of support for the valves. To make installing the plates easier, drill the holes for the pulls, then cut slots just wide enough to slide over the cables, and you don't have to totally remove the cable pulls and you will still have plenty of metal to support the pulls. You also could, instead of using sheet metal screws, drill through both plates and use machine screws and nuts so you will gain additional strength at the damaged plywood.
__________________
Bob & Becky
2012 3402RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD D/A CC 4WD
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
DQDick
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Council Grove
Posts: 13,929
M.O.C. #11455
To find a salvage yard google RV Salvage yards in (insert the state or states)
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salem
Posts: 3,433
M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
If you have the leak fixed, and the plywood is drying out, why don't you just go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a piece of 1/8" aluminum 2" wide, cut a couple pieces, drill holes for the drain pulls in addition to holes for 1/2" sheet metal screws and put one in front and the other behind. That should give you plenty of support for the valves. To make installing the plates easier, drill the holes for the pulls, then cut slots just wide enough to slide over the cables, and you don't have to totally remove the cable pulls and you will still have plenty of metal to support the pulls. You also could, instead of using sheet metal screws, drill through both plates and use machine screws and nuts so you will gain additional strength at the damaged plywood.
That what I would do. Any company that installs sidling on houses thin aluminum that should work.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
scottandanna
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Issaquah
Posts: 27
M.O.C. #20158
Currently, the wood is still pretty wet, so I ripped off a chunk of that plastic sheeting and am letting it dry out more. If it dries well enough that I think it will hold, I might go that route. Be way easier, and way cheaper.
__________________
Full-time in a new-to-us '14 3402RL
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #10
phillyg
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SWFL
Posts: 246
M.O.C. #17801
From the photo it looks like only the bottom 8" or so is wet. I'd remove the whole panel, saw across the panel leaving the plastic front untouched, and hopefully the soaked wood will come off. Then glue another piece of plywood to fit, glue it to the plastic, trim, drill and reinstall.
__________________
2016 Montana 3711FL
2005 Ford F350, 6.0 diesel, short bed
Demco Hitchiker Auto Slide hitch
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
scottandanna
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Issaquah
Posts: 27
M.O.C. #20158
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
From the photo it looks like only the bottom 8" or so is wet. I'd remove the whole panel, saw across the panel leaving the plastic front untouched, and hopefully the soaked wood will come off. Then glue another piece of plywood to fit, glue it to the plastic, trim, drill and reinstall.
Another option that i have been going over. I would need to make sure it is VERY securely fastened to the two side pieces of wood, b/c I still have the stiff OEM valve handles, and they put quite a it of pressure on that back panel, both going in and out. So, until I swap those valves, I need that back panel to be pretty firm.

Right now, I have sprayed bleach on the wet and black wood, and put the dehumidifier in the storage bin with it, and will re-evaluate once that wood is dry.

Personally, I don't like the idea of having black and moldy wood in the trailer, so one way or another, I will probably have to replace at least the bottom chunk.

If I go that route, I might just peel the plastic off both sides, and replace the entire chunk with a single solid piece of plywood, glue the plastic pieces back on, re-drill the holes, and put it all back together.

Unless Keystone sells that panel for cheap (less than $100 or $150). If so, new panel all the way.
__________________
Full-time in a new-to-us '14 3402RL
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master
 
rohrmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Box Elder
Posts: 1,716
M.O.C. #12947
I seriously doubt you will be able to get a new panel for that or any rig, as I'm pretty sure they are made for the production runs and they don't keep extras in stock. If you do decide to fully replace it, you are in for quite a project, as all the plumbing will have to removed and relocated to the new panel once it has been replaced. I would wait until the wood is fully dry, spray it with Zinsser® Bulls Eye 1-2-3® Primer Spray, multiple coats, and put things back together. Once the wood is sealed, there will be no danger of the mold causing any health problems if that is what you are worrying about.
__________________
Bob & Becky
2012 3402RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD D/A CC 4WD
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #13
scottandanna
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Issaquah
Posts: 27
M.O.C. #20158
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I seriously doubt you will be able to get a new panel for that or any rig, as I'm pretty sure they are made for the production runs and they don't keep extras in stock. If you do decide to fully replace it, you are in for quite a project, as all the plumbing will have to removed and relocated to the new panel once it has been replaced. I would wait until the wood is fully dry, spray it with Zinsser® Bulls Eye 1-2-3® Primer Spray, multiple coats, and put things back together. Once the wood is sealed, there will be no danger of the mold causing any health problems if that is what you are worrying about.
Thanks for the sealant suggestion
__________________
Full-time in a new-to-us '14 3402RL
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.