Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #61
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Count this ground pounder in. why stop at tires. Lets finish the job. Where are the insurance companies on this?
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:36 AM   #62
belldog
Established Member

M.O.C. #4165
I have had problems with Goodyear tires in past. Last year on trip to Wyoming I had three two blowouts and one tread separation .Contacted Goodyear and they payed for tire replacement and damage.
belldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #63
JeffBusarow
Established Member

M.O.C. #12116
Been nervous reading about tires the last year. I'm lighter than most of you. My 2011 3100rl scaled under 12,500# yesterday- 9400# total for both trailer axles. My 3yr old Marathons have been fine. I never go over 65mph, and not often at that. I am replacing my tires though next week. I've got a flat spot on one. Dexter replaced free my front axle after 2 years. (RF tire was wearing out faster on outside part of tread two years in a row, even after rotating tires and rebalance and alignment check. I now don't think I need to upgrade to G series and replace my wheels along with the added expense. I've hemmed and hawed over this. 2 weeks ago I was going to go with the G upgrade. I am going to the most knowledgeable tire dealer in my area and use their advice for my final decision. But today I think the grade of tire I've had will do me just fine. I am posting this because I also respect the opinions of my fellow Montana owners.
JeffBusarow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #64
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
As I write this, I am now sitting in Adairsville, GA on the journey to our winter rv park in Florida. The trip from Trenton, Maine to our 2nd stop at a rv park in PA saw temps from 59F to low 70's and I checked the temps on the sidewalls of the new Sumitomo tires at fuel and lunch stops, which were consistently in the low 90's. From there to Adairsville, GA (just north of atlanta)the outside temps were from low 60's to low 80's and my tire temps ranged from the low 90's to 123F as the highest reading. I am still towing at 60 mph and did go up to mid 60's on a couple of occasions during a couple of passes. I sure do feel better doing my 3800RE with these tires than the Marathons and the cost of the upgrade is certainly less than what could occur during a blowout on lesser quality tires...win/win situation. John
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #65
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JeffBusarow

Been nervous reading about tires the last year. I'm lighter than most of you. My 2011 3100rl scaled under 12,500# yesterday- 9400# total for both trailer axles. My 3yr old Marathons have been fine. I never go over 65mph, and not often at that. I am replacing my tires though next week. I've got a flat spot on one. Dexter replaced free my front axle after 2 years. (RF tire was wearing out faster on outside part of tread two years in a row, even after rotating tires and rebalance and alignment check. I now don't think I need to upgrade to G series and replace my wheels along with the added expense. I've hemmed and hawed over this. 2 weeks ago I was going to go with the G upgrade. I am going to the most knowledgeable tire dealer in my area and use their advice for my final decision. But today I think the grade of tire I've had will do me just fine. I am posting this because I also respect the opinions of my fellow Montana owners.
Jeff, any good LT tire will be plenty with your weights. Many here like the Goodyear TA, the Michelin brand, Bridgestone, and several others. When a Marathon weighs 37 lbs and a Durvavis 250 weighs 59 lbs.....

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #66
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My wife and I left Roanoke Va The Sunday after the Bristol Nascar race headed south on I81. We passed at least 6 campers on the side of the road that had been to the race. They ranged from a pop up to large 5ers, all had flat tires. During the next month and 7100 miles we passed several more with the same problem. One was a new Montana High Country, talked to one guy who had lost 3 ST tires on a light weight trailer about 24 feet another had lost a tire on a 6 wheel camper. It was an older unit about 45 feet long with 15 inch tires. He said he would be changing his ST tires. A new Montana owner had lost a tire. He didn't wont to hear what the problem with his tires was, O well he will be changing a lot of tires no problem for me. I told him about MOC and he didn't wont to hear about that either. His loss not mine.
Bottom line: If you have ST tires use them at your own risk. You should have no more trouble with your camper tires than you have with your truck tires.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #67
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I have not read the seven pages of this thread, but in response to the subject, if anybody sues anybody the only "for sure" winners will be the attorneys.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #68
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

I have not read the seven pages of this thread, but in response to the subject, if anybody sues anybody the only "for sure" winners will be the attorneys.
That's a totally bogus statement.

I speak from experience, not some flippant remark.

We was part of a class action suit because of faulty home construction in our entire neighborhood. Sure the attorneys made their share, but we received much greater share which we used to fix the deficiencies. We had absolutely no out of pocket expenses during the lawsuit. Without the work from our attorneys we would have had to either live with the problems or sell our home at a loss. THAT is the purpose of our legal system.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #69
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rainer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

That's a totally bogus statement.

I speak from experience, not some flippant remark.

We was part of a class action suit because of faulty home construction in our entire neighborhood. Sure the attorneys made their share, but we received much greater share which we used to fix the deficiencies. We had absolutely no out of pocket expenses during the lawsuit. Without the work from our attorneys we would have had to either live with the problems or sell our home at a loss. THAT is the purpose of our legal system.
I speak from experience too. I received a check for 3 cents as settlement in a class action suit. I can assure you the attorneys got a lot more.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #70
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
That beats my $0.27 check I got. Don't know how lawyers work that cheap.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #71
DQDick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11455
Yup, I've been the "winner' of 5 class actions in my lifetime and have 37 cents to show for it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #72
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Tredit, the tire supplier to Keystone / Montana was at this year's rally. They handle millions of tire a year and IMHO, are far better informed than any tire store. Running tires at the maximum recommended pressure is a must, according to the rep from Tredit.

Concerning a class action suit, who do you sue? Keystone gives the requirements to Tredit, which in my mind absolves them of responsibility. Tredit gives the requirement specifications to the tire manufacturers, which absolves them of responsibility. The manufacturers give the specifications to the factories, all of which are located in China. So the buck will eventually get passed back to the Chinese factories. Good luck getting anything from them! Another area of blame would be the guys who deliver the trailers. They not only frequently exceed the speed rating of the tires (time is money), they don't care about hitting potholes, curbs or any other road hazard that will eventually cause tire failure. Good luck suing them!

Compared to truck and car tires, the US regulations on ST tires is nearly nonexistent. The real remedy for our situation is to get the government to write regulations to ensure ST tires are as safe as vehicle tires, but even this has a drawback which is cost, which will eventually be passed on to us. You can bypass this whole process by purchasing "G" rated tires but again, you'll pay more, unless purhaps you opt to buy "G" rated tires made in China.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #73
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
All of you that received pennies as a result of a class action suit were apparently ancillary members, and not the principals. You're collection was result of being members of the entire suit and as a result of opting in (default) and not opting out got you the monetary amount you did. You probably weren't even aware of the class action suit until you received notification that you were identified as the purchaser of the product or service which was being sued. I've also received these.

But to be a victorious principal in a class action suit can result in tens of thousands of dollars in awards as it did for our family on our home construction. No one received just pennies. Some received more than others, because some folks house were deemed unlivable and had to be demolished, these house were sliding down a cliff with gaping holes (really canyons!) in their foundations.

I amazed at the number of arm chair lawyers in this group. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of them jump onto this forthcoming class action lawsuit especially if they've had OEM ST tires fail within months of owning their trailer/5th wheel and the resulting damage was in the thousands of dollars range. If this money came out of your pocket due to insurance deductibles, I'm sure you'd like to get that back. Since I've owned two new Keystone trailers and have had $4000 in damage combined I'm sick and tired of it, and want proper restitution for a system that is faulty and needs to be corrected.

Keystone and all the other trailer manufacturers know about this, it's no secret, but they will continue this charade until it hits them in the pocketbook, where it becomes more expensive to put substandard tires on their products because of the fiscal consequences. In due time they will realize this, and then advertisements will come out on how good their "new and improved" LT classs tires are. Just wait and see.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #74
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.Compared to truck and car tires, the US regulations on ST tires is nearly nonexistent.
This, too, is a bogus statement.

Here's the link to the government site which ALL tires have to adhere to:

http://1.usa.gov/198T6va

By definition, different tires will have different applications, you don't put a farm tractor tire on your sports car of vice versa.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #75
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rainer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.Compared to truck and car tires, the US regulations on ST tires is nearly nonexistent.
This, too, is a bogus statement.

Here's the link to the government site which ALL tires have to adhere to:

http://1.usa.gov/198T6va

By definition, different tires will have different applications, you don't put a farm tractor tire on your sports car of vice versa.

Since your link starts out with: "No motor vehicle", I stand by my statement. Trailers are not considered motor vehicles. Do some research and you will find my statement is NOT bogus. Note that I did not say they were non-existent, only that they are far less encompassing. For example, truck tires are required to have a 15% safety margin built into them. To my knowledge, there is no such regulation for trailer tires.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #76
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

For example, truck tires are required to have a 15% safety margin built into them. To my knowledge, there is no such regulation for trailer tires.
I am not going to call this statement "Bogus" but I am going to call it incorrect, and a prime example of misinformation that has been and continues to be spread around this forum and others regarding "safety margin/reserve capacity".

Rather than continue to make this kind of unsubstantiated statement it would be great to be shown something that proves this besides some self professed tire experts interpretation of the following DOT ruling.

The true facts are contained in this document:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...dex.html#ref74

I refer you to section "D - Tire selection criteria/De-Rating of P metric tires". It may be a little long and difficult to understand for some, but it is the Automobile manufacturers responsibilty to ensure the rating on the tire exceeds the normal load capacity of the vehicle by the established percentage of 94% based on the vehicle manufacturers sticker load/pressure rating. Until this new ruling, the load reserve was based on the rating as stamped on the tire and resulted in an approx 15% reserve.

LT tires and ST tires are not comparable since they are designed for an entirely different purpose, they both are DOT rated and tested and must meet the standards for their application. An LT tire DOT rated for 3042 lbs is rated for exactly that, not 3042 lbs plus 15% reserve capacity or safety margin.

I for the umpteenth time remind everyone I am no tire expert but if I am wrong about this please, please show me the proof.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #77
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Tom S. You are having a discussion with a person that started this thread, wanting to sue Keystone and Goodyear, and told us how he check his tires carefully. Yet didn't even know what brand of tire he had on his trailer. Power King, Tow Max are NOT Goodyear Marathons, so much, for his power of observation. When you come on a semi public forum and try to threaten a law suit, at least have the opening argument fact correct. Enough Said.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #78
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Rainer I think you have a good strong law suit. I think you should hire a lawyer and go for it. I got did of my ST tires years ago go I wont be joining it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #79
Big Dave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13075
I would be glad to join the lawsuit.
These tires should have stopped being installed years ago!!!
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #80
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
1. Dont worry about me coming forth as a settlement materializes; I have not and will not use ST tires on anything I own, therefore will not be a 'principal', 'purchaser', or user of any ST tire.

2.The regulations on ST tires are VERY 'Existent' : Capacity, pressure and speed rating are clearly marked on the tire.

3. Some of our arm chair lawyers are simply practical observers of the obvious.

4. RV manufacturers are not responsible for use after care custody and control is transferred at sale; when you sign off on a PDI, you have legally assumed CC&C . Customer information and labeling is their CYA. Again you will need to prove that the equipment never saw conditions exceeding the specifications. This is how the Firestone/Explorer suit was won.

5. For those who have used their hard earned money to repair damages caused by inadequate tires, I hope that you are able to find peace in collecting from a suit, if you so choose, and have decided that being responsible for the safety of yourself, your loved ones, and fellow highway travelers, means insuring that ALL of your TV and RV equipment meet or exceed all of the requirements of the conditions they will be subjected to.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote