Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Heroes Homcoming Fayetteville, NC

As part of the Heroes Homecoming for Vietnam Veterans (4-13 Nov 2011) here in Fayetteville, NC, Larry Sessoms and I attended the opening ceremony of The Vietnam Moving Wall. It is a replica of the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC. It was a moving experience with words from the guest speaker LTC (Retired) Ray Schrump. Retired LTC Schrump was captured by the Viet Cong 23 May 1968. He spent 1,727 days as a Prisoner of War. He was released during Operation Homecoming 12 Feb 1973. The Rolling Thunder National Motocycle Organization will provide 24/7 security for the Moving Wall through 14 Nov 2011.

Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
George-- Are the flags for those that have been lost from the area? I read something about your Heroes Homecoming there in Fayetteville in one of the papers or magazines I get. Quite a big deal there! I'm MCing the Veterans Day Program in my hometown this year. It's in a small town but we have quite a turnout fro the community and it is held in the towns school gym so the whole student body and staff from kindergarten to 12th grade attend also.
Thanks for Serving!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Hats off to both Jay Bird and Rondo! Thank you for your service, and really cool stuff here!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 AM   #4
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Ron,
The flags are purchased for any veteran. The flags are not just for Vietnam Veterans. It can be in hornor or in memory of a veteran. To you, I also say thanks for what you are doing to honor veterans in your hometown.
The Heroes Homecoming is Fayetteville's way of saying a long overdue "Welcome Home" to Vietnam Veterans. There are a number of sporting events, shows, demonstrations, movies, museum exhibits, symposiums, redidication of the relocated Vietnam War Memorial, and cultral events taken place all over Fayetteville during the ten days (4-13 Nov). There will be a Veterans Day parade Saturday. There is a spot in the parade for all the Vietnam Veterans that would like to march in the parade. Sunday the final day there will be Fellowship Breakfast at one of the local churches. This has and is a wonderful tribute for Vietnam Veterans.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Welcome home!!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If only more people would have said that when the men came home during and following Nam! There was no Welcomes and most were looked down upon because they served their country and signed a contract to give up their lives if need be! For what they went through they will have those thoughts and dreams forever! Just not right! Nearly all other wars that Americans have been part of ended with the troops coming home to cheers and thanks but not that one! Just not right!
Old 11-08-2011, 01:59 AM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
May I also add that George and I , among many others , attended not only the opening of the Wall but also the opening of the celebration. Frankly I went with a negative attitude, thinking it was going to be a political stunt. I was pleasantly surprised to find that our city chose to take the high road. Both events very poignant. There were no detractions and I heard no negative remarks after either event. So like our town has chosen to do, I say "Welcome home Brothers and Sisters". You have been and will always will be my heroes. I even think that from now on when I hear someone say , "FayetNam" , in place of resentment I shall actually feel pride. Rondo , I shall also be speaking at a local school about what it means to be a veteran. No, the resentment for the way we were treated upon return will not magically dissappear , but maybe this will help me to control mine a little better. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:07 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I agree with you Larry about the resentment disappearing but as you said maybe more of the people today will understand what it was all about and what all the Vets went through during that time! Congratulations on taking part in a schools program and showing and telling the kids of today what it is like to be a Veteran. Maybe by this small effort some will realize what pride we have from serving our country! Unfortunately, this pride is lacking amongst to many Americans today and they do not realize what we all have and how we have kept it! Thanks for Serving!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Larry & George,
Thanks for sharing this. Great job! I'm proud to know you both. Welcome Home, again.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #10
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
George, Rondo and Larry.

Thank you for your help in the Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans. Been a long time coming for sure. And its guys like you that bring back to the country what we went through when we got home. To me, its never to late to say " Welcome Home"

Thanks to all Vets for the service you do, or have done!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote