Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Wheel seals Info

As soon as the weather breaks I am going to install my self ajusting brakes so I desided to go ahead and replace the hub seals. I called dexter and asked for a cross ref# at a local napa parts store. the tech said they use national seal #472-920 now but the old one was #412-920. The older ones are double sided and better but they are hard to find. I went to napa and they had to order the new ones didn't know where to find the old ones. the new ones were 29.00 each. I desided to wait and went by OReillys they stock the old ones and they were 22.00 each for the better seal and they are national seal made in mexico. good looking seal too.
bobby

scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
$29 each !!!!!!!!!!! Holy crapola Batman! If you're near a Redneck Trailer Sales store or call them, you'll get wheel seals that fit our fivers for under $10 each. I dunno where they are manufactured, but they've kept the grease on one side and the brake dust on the other very well for me for years and years. www.redneck-trailer.com Shows map and phone numbers.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
http://www.easternmarine.com/Grease-Seals-Oil-Seals/
Nuff said.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

As soon as the weather breaks I am going to install my self ajusting brakes so I desided to go ahead and replace the hub seals. I called dexter and asked for a cross ref# at a local napa parts store. the tech said they use national seal #472-920 now but the old one was #412-920. The older ones are double sided and better but they are hard to find. I went to napa and they had to order the new ones didn't know where to find the old ones. the new ones were 29.00 each. I desided to wait and went by OReillys they stock the old ones and they were 22.00 each for the better seal and they are national seal made in mexico. good looking seal too.
bobby
By "hub seals," do you mean those "caps" at the end of the axle which cover the grease fitting?
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Michael they are the seals in the back of the brake drum that keep the grease out of the brake shoes. The cap is a dust cap. I did not know about these other sites to get the cheaper ones seems like those are good prices if they are good seals. that was just the ones that dexter use and said to get.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

Michael they are the seals in the back of the brake drum that keep the grease out of the brake shoes. The cap is a dust cap. I did not know about these other sites to get the cheaper ones seems like those are good prices if they are good seals. that was just the ones that dexter use and said to get.
bobby
Thanks, Bobby...really helps to know what things are called! Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote