Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
An Atty Speaks On Weight

I found this on another site, interesting reading:

My professional career has spanned a great number of years in the legal field...I offer the following comments as suggestions as to what I believe to be the best course of action regarding tow vehicles. This information is not to be considered a "legal opinion," and, please do not send me emails or PMs requesting more information or technical questions.

I have read a number of threads and posts regarding members asking questions about tow vehicles and various weight issues, and believe some guidance/suggestions might be appreciated. Many of the responses are incorrect, misleading and, whether or not intended, quite deceiving. The good people asking these questions are seeking answers to what they perceive to be very confusing and complex issues. One of the problems is that many members posting have no knowledge of the subject matter, and are regurgitating what an RV or truck salesman has told them regarding TVs. Although their intentions are good, and they might have been using a particular TV without problems for a while, these members should not offer information on a subject in which they have virtually no knowledge. Much of this information is totally incorrect.

If you should have the misfortune of being in a court of law as a result of a motor vehicle accident involving a truck/RV combination, and the weight of your TV and/or RV comes into question...both vehicles should be within ALL the manufacturer's specifications as noted on the appropriate stickers attached to the vehicles and/or located on the equipment. These include combined weight, gross weight, tire capacity, axle capacity, hitch capacity, pin capacity (MorRyde), etc. Many do not realize it, but there are many other weight restrictions within those noted above, of which the consumer has no knowledge, such as bearings, frames, shocks, rims, springs, and many other vehicle parts. You can add anything you desire in the form of big tires, larger axles, air bags, extra springs, bigger shocks, none of which will affect the stickers on the vehicles upon which they are mounted. Should any part of any of your vehicles exceed the manufacturer's ratings, you will have a very difficult time convincing the court that it is okay to be over those ratings. A great number of posters like to say that their vehicle "pulls fine"...which is okay, but (excuse the pun) that reasoning will not carry much weight in a court of law.

If you have added something to a truck or RV that you believe truly increases capacity...such as axles, not air bags...get some type of documentation from the manufacturer that states your GVWR has been increased. Be advised that some type of written documentation is necessary in order for it to be valid. Keep in mind, however, that just because you have gone from 6k axles to 7k axles (or bigger tires, etc) your GVWR may not be increased due to frame, body or other limitations, that might be known only to the manufacturer.

In summary, it has gone around the Internet that gross weight and combined weight ratings are just suggestions, and are numbers that can be ignored, whereas tire and axle ratings must be followed. This is totally incorrect information and should not be followed. If you elect to exceed published maximum ratings of any item on either of your vehicles, be prepared to suffer the consequences of that action.

billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Thank You. For me the matter is settled!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Thanks for posting the comments.
It is appreciated!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wellll..... am I ever surprised....Who would have thunk..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
And I'm the Pope. There. You can post that on another site and say you found it on the internet. The Pope now lives in Texas! Who the heck believes the validity of some post that has nothing as to the credentials of the author. You can find anything you want on the internet, and a lot you don't want, but that sure doesn't make it the truth.

And I don't tow overweight. If I did, I would probably be in SOB right now, but I'm not ready to buy a new tow vehicle.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Now I remember why I promised myself last year to never comment one way or another on any thread regarding weight, tow vehicle applicability, and legal issues. Saying all that I honestly believe that.................Whoops, almost broke my promise

Hee Hee!!

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Ah yes another weight thread. We got one lawyer, let's get another just like a real trial.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Time to close this thread.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Billhoover,

Thank you for posting this information regarding the weight issues as they may apply to RVing. But as you can see the direction of this thread is already taking a very negative tone. For that reason this thread is being locked. Thank you again for the "legal" information.

RVWheels, MOC Admin.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote