Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
melnjoy
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuma
Posts: 854
M.O.C. #1935
Warning Please Read


I feel I must reply to those who might mix dish soap with chlorine bleach. Most liquid dish soap contain Ammonia, if you mix any chlorine bleach with ammonia it will cause a release of chlorine gas, most people do not know that this is also mustard gas.
The most dangerous thing the gas will do if inhaled will attack the lung tissue at a cellure level in weak doses you will not feel anything but the damage is already done, in stronger doses it will feel like a burn in your lungs. Please belive me if you get enough it can and will kill you.
It can also get very hot if the mixture strong enough and can eat through most plastics, I have seen the bottom fall out of 5 gal buckets.
I have lost more than one friend do to mixing ammonia and chlorine bleach and would not like to lose another.
Mel


Ammonia and Bleach Information Page

Never mix ammonia and bleach!

One of the most common hazards occurs when chlorine bleach is mixed with ammonia or acids. The combination of ammonia and bleach produces dangerous chlorine gas, which in small doses can cause irritation to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. In large doses, it can kill. Chlorine gas, also known as mustard gas, was actually used in WWI & WWII.

One way this occurs is when people disinfect an area with bleach before cleaning. For example, you could use bleach to disinfect the sink area, then wash the dishes with an antibacterial dish soap which contains ammonia. If an area has been cleaned with other products, make sure the area is thoroughly rinsed with uncontaminated water before bleach is used.


For dozens of unique, eco-friendly laundry products and advice that can save you thousands of dollars, you can visit our home page at http://www.laundry-alternative.com
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Texas City
Posts: 5,732
M.O.C. #7673
MelnJoy,
Thanks for the information. Sometimes we forget the simple rules.
How many of us have taken the time to look at the ingredients of our toilet chemicals?
I have not, but I will. Not that I intend on using bleach, chlorine or non-chlorine.

Thanks again.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Army Guy
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fulltiming
Posts: 347
M.O.C. #5508
Thanks for the tid bit of info. Things we forget as we get older.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: sioux falls
Posts: 1,835
M.O.C. #2121
MelnJoy, thanks for the reminder. I don't always pay enough attention.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LCI Led read out. okierver General Discussions about our Montanas 3 06-26-2014 03:00 PM
Interesting - To Me A Must Read JimF Sitting around the Campfire 15 01-22-2009 03:01 AM
If you have a dog please read Dustytuu Pet Palace 8 08-27-2008 09:46 AM
Can you read this? mfoss Sitting around the Campfire 8 09-20-2006 01:37 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.