Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Hi All and a Question

We purchased a 2005 Mountaineer 297RKS on New Years Eve and are really excited. Stayed two days in a campground with wind blowing 50+, so all our time was spent inside.

What a difference two slides make, no cabin fever. Turned on the water heater when we arrived and all went well. The next day after getting out of the shower I went to the kitchen and the propane sensor went off. I reset it and all was fine then my wife took a shower and the same thing happened again. Thought OK, it doesen't like the smell of our soap and she ran out of hot water. We traded in a fw wheel for this one so we are aware of water usage issues.

I turned off the water heater and turned it back on then the propane sensor went off again.

Does this sound familiar to any of you.

Thanks
Ray

jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #2
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
this same thing happened us to - liked to have scared us to death first time. Anyway, hubby found that it took 2-3x running showers, etc. to clear lines of some kind of chemical that factory adds to lines. Don't know if that is your situation, since yours is on '05, but worth a try. He also suggested you try switching to electric on the hot water heater to see if the problem persists. If sensor still goes off, suggest you start looking for some kind of leak. Good luck - and congratulations on your new Mountaineer!

otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 AM   #3
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
also, as an afterthought, hubby suggested checking to see if there is any sediment in hot water heater.
otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
otto0813, thank you. When we got home I did see some sediment in the fire tube? thought I would get out the shop vac and see if I could clean it up.

Ray
Old 01-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
If you purchased "used" (or maybe even new since it's a 2005), one of the first things you need to do is drain the water heater and check/replace if necessary the anode rod - clean out all the sediment you can by flushing with a hose. Be sure the electric is off to the WH until you have replenished the tank (you can ruin a heating element in a heartbeat).
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:29 AM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
It sounds to me as you are getting some kind of back draft that is pushing spent gas into the trailer. With the wind as high as it was I could see some fumes entering the unit, the sensor is pretty sensitive. It would not take much to set it off.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 AM   #7
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Depending on the weather, either today or tomorrow I will flush and check the rod.
It kind of seemed funny that the propane was on all the time and the sensor only went off on the secind day after the heater fired up.

VanMan and racerjoe, thanks

Ray
Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ray,

Are you certain there is no propane leak? After all that is what the sensor is for. Just be safe. Make sure there is no leak.

Hopefully it is just the wind and or some other simple answer.

I'm unclear as to what the anode rod would have to do with the sensor going off but have learned that almost anything can and does happen! Of course it will not hurt to check the rod and replace as necessary.

Please let us know when you solve the riddle.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Are you using any type of aerosol spray some of the propellants will trip the sniffer.Example the propellant in Old Spice is propane we tripped it in the fall when we sprayed lysol
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #10
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
The propane sensor will also sound off when you have a low battery condition--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gpats

The sensor has a different tone with low battery (low) when sensing propane it is very loud and piercing
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gpats

I did not know that. Thanks for that info. I guess this lets you know the sensor is about to cease functioning due to lack of 12v power.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #13
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
In our old unit the detector would go off everytime any type spray was used, ie, hair spray, pam, etc. Also it seemed strange that steam from the shower would set it off. Never had a propane leak but that sucker was going off all the time. Congratulations on your unit, enjoy the MOC.

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #14
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
If the wind slows down today I will flush out the heater and clean up the firetube? and then see what I get. I was hooked up to power, so the low battery shouldn't be an issue.
The propane tank was always on but the only time we had the problem was when the heater kicked on but not every time. I will do some more testing and see what I get.

I will keep you posted as I work on this.

Thanks
Ray