Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Lost my awning

Coming to Corpus Christi on Saturday, Dec 15, 2007, I lost my main awning.

We stopped for lunch around 1230 hours and everything was fine. About an hour later down the road (US-59S) around Edna, TX, we stopped at a Love's for fuel. As my wife got out of the TV, she indicated something was wrong. I opened the window and she said the awning was shredded.

Yup! Took a few pictures that I'll post when I get the chance. About 2 to 2 1/2 feet of awning had unfurled and was shredded. Funny thing, I though the TV was laboring a little harder than usual, but just gave it up as being the strong wind. It was the strong wind and the awning was acting as a sail, but in the wrong direction. Gas milage went to 8. something which is unusual.

I called Holiday World and reported it. They said that this is not the first time that this has happened in high winds. Insurance company said the same thing.

Insurance man will come to the RV site tomorrow and check it out.

When and if I find out what caused it, I'll post it here.

I'm at the NAS Shields camp ground, but had to drive around to find a wireless spot. Got a good one, but am downloading 200+ email's of my DW's.

Later all1!!! :-)

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Wow, sorry for your difficulty. Yes, keep us posted on this issue and any possible preventive actions.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I keep the arms wrapped with a tight bungee cord to keep them from releasing during travel.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Charlie

I keep the arms wrapped with a tight bungee cord to keep them from releasing during travel.
Odds are the arms never released, if the winds are strong enough it can cause the awning to unfurl with the arms in the locked position.

Myself, and lots of other MOCers have installed an "Awning Lock" to prevent this.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sorry to hear your Monty deployed it's drag chute. Hopefully the damage was limited to the awning. You might check around on the roof and sides. That material slapping around tends to act like a wet towel.

There are some aftermarket awning locks that should prevent unrolling on the highway.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I did the Awning lock. I have seen awnings blown off in the Camp Ground the arms do not move.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don't know how to get an IMG file off of FLICKR. New technology since Yahoo Photos swapped over.

Here is the URL to the picture.

Picture of shredded awning

No, the awning bars never released. I'm definitely going to look into the awning lock.

Thanks all.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Awning travel lock is the only way to go.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Waynem,

I am also one of those that installed the awning lock. Thanks to the good people on this forum, I learned about the problem and cure before it happened to me. The ratchet mechanism that rolls up the awning is made of aluminum, and evidently isn't very reliable after awhile. In a high wind it has been known to come loose allowing the awning material to unfurl, and as you said act like a sail.

Deployed it's drag chute??? Hahahaha, Brad you have an uncanny way of making my wife spew iced tea out of her nose. I'm just glad I didn't have a mouthfull of something when I read that, .
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
http://www.srhams.org/awning_lock.html

Here is a link for a make your own lock for the awning.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I dont understand how the awning can unfurrow, if the lever has not been triggered to pull it down. when I put the awning up I have to release the lever at the end of the tube for it to retract, and while it's in the retracting position there is no way that you can pull the awning to re-open unless you flip that lever back the extended position. unless the lever on your awning is not working properly and allows it to extend or retract without ussing the lever at the end of the tube.
I have never lost a awning in all the years of RVing from it unraveling. yet anyway.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The release lever is mecanical and the assembly can wear and allow the awning to slip. All things mechanical can fail.

Thank you for the links on how to prevent this from happening.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #13
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I have the 2008 3400RL that now comes standard with the electric awning which I think is an A&E,does any one know if the Awning travel lock will fit this awning? Sounds like I might need one.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:30 AM   #14
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I agree with trailer trash 2. If the awning was properly retracted it will not open by itself. If you let the awning roll up slowly the lever may not get to the lock position. A lot of folks will try to hold the awning back on the roll up. I would get the little black strap rolled into the awning on roll up. My awning rolls up so fast , I always fear the rod and my arm my roll up in the awning I have since put an extension on the strap. My lock lever is so tite that it takes a lot of pull to release it. I have went up on a step ladder to try to release that lever by hand, no way it is too tite. If that little lock or unlock lever is real easy to pull you need to get it checked.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:34 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just my opinion...It may be a case where the awning does not roll up tightly enough allowing some "space" for high winds to get into. We have had to roll the awning back down and up again because we did not like the looks of how the awning rolled up.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:40 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have had an awning billow up from a cross wind on my old '04 Keystone Sprinter, it was in Lonnie Territory, you know you are in for some wind when they have Wind Socks along the highway.
My awning was secured, only a year old at the time. What happened, is that the aluminum gear stripped it's racheting teeth, they are poorly made, (at least it was.) I took it apart and photographed the gear, sent it to Dometic, the man there sent me a new awning.
The lock will keep the awning secure, as wind can, and will, get under the fabric, no matter how tight it is rolled up. (In my experience.)

Unlocked:
Awning
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jack,

The electrics are direct drive from the motor so they can't release and freely undwind. I don't believe you will find locks that will actually fit them.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:25 AM   #18
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
They now have a lock for the A&E electric awining

http://www.hometown.aol.com/goldenwgf/
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #19
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks bsmeaton for the reply but I think I'll look into the link that 8.1al posted. For the price I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Thanks 8.1al!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Everyone! Thanks for the information that this thread has provided. The insurance adjuster came out today and is going to write up the entire awning, including mechanizers. Probably looking at over $1000 for all. I'll know the price tomorrow and post what they are allowing.

Just think, the insurance industry could save lots of money by providing a $39.95 device that will prevent this from happening.

Now, with all that said, and some of the posts regarding the inability of the awning to unfurl, let me say this. We picked up the Hanna the end of August. We used the awning the first two times out, and on the second time, we had problem when we raised it. the pin release (don't know the proper terminology and I'm to lazy to look it up) handle was sticking out and caught on the stair assist. It tore the rubber grip. Put it in the shop, had the stair assist replaced (warranty, thank you - after all, it was only a few weeks old.) The last 3 times out the awning was never used. There also was never any problem. The shop did check it out when I had the stair assist replaced. No problem. So - with extremely high winds, recorded as gusting to 38 mph and with some of those being cross winds - the awning unfurled. Now if it were mechanical because of some aluminum ratchet stripping, I would say there is a big problem since it was only used twice. Both the shop, and the insurance adjuster said that this is a problem that is encounter frequently.

Awning lock - here I Come - thanks to all for the links.