Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
"We Lost It"

I thought that would get your attention!

Anyway, we went camping this past weekend and had a wonderful time camping with our nephew's family next to us. However, on Saturday morning the tv was working fine and later on that evening we tried to watch tv and didn't have any. I tried the other tv in the B/R and it didnt have a signal either. The digital signal strength was showing "zero." The green light was on but ziltch, nothing.

I would like to know what to look for other than the obvious such as a broken wire on the roof. I haven't had a chance to even look and start trouble shooting yet but I figured my MOC friends/experts would be the best place to start. Should I be able to get a reading with a volt meter on the main line where the signal comes in if there is one there? Other than checking connections I'm rather lost at what to look for. Any help or suggestions is always appreciated.

Thanks!

To top that off I came home Sunday morning to check something on the internet quickly before going to church and my computer died. I was clicking on Reserve America and I was about 2 clicks away from finding out what I wanted to and I heard a soft pop and lost both monitors. The computer tries to boot up but just stops prior to opening windows. Don't ya just love these things? Anyway, I'm posting using my problematic lap top which jumps the letters around while typing; so please overlook any typo errors.

Thanks again in advance for help on trouble shooting the signal loss!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bill,
1. Check the light in the closet and see if it works with the TV amplifier (green light) If the light works ok. If not replace the blown fuse. Explanation - the little red led on the fuse panel will power the green led but not the light if the fuse is blown. The led will be on when the light switch is on.
2. I would replace the green light box. it is actually a power source and splitting network for the TV Antenna.
3. Contact winguard and get a new amplifier from them for your antenna and install it in the bat wing.

Let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Bill, Check out this website, http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452013.pdf Page 6 gives you trouble shooting procedures for the batwing antenae and the power booster. Hope this helps. Jim
Old 04-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #4
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Our TVs also failed to operate after years of service- I checked all the circuits and found no signal coming from the batwing- I pulled the coax and found a corroded connector ( the coax is in two pieces from batwing to booster connection ) Good luck in solving your problem- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
As for the computer problem, it sounds like the power outage and resulting Windows being turned off improperly may have caused a file corruption.

The good news is that if you go into Safe Mode (either F5 when booting or F8, I forget which one), then let it boot completely in Safe Mode. Boot with the "last known good" option. After it completely boots, then shut down the system properly. Then restart the system normally. This can oftentimes repair the file corruption.

The bad news is if this does not work, I hope you created recovery discs for your system because you might have a corrupted startup file and the only way to fix this is with the system/recovery discs.

Note, I have very much simplified what to do. If you have never done this it can be complicated and you can cause more damage. Then you'll need to find a qualified computer repair person to get you past this. If this is the case, be very descriptive of the problem you are having and things you did to attempt repair, so it can help the technician seek the proper recovery.

Best of luck!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Well I haven’t had a chance to look at the antenna yet but I got the computer fixed today. The problem was in the hard drive; it went bad. I hope to start trouble shooting the antenna before long.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Up-date on antenna signal”
Well not that I didn’t suspect this but in checking out the voltage I discovered a loose connection that was slightly corroded. Cleaned it up and tightened it and I’m now getting a signal. Thanks Jim for the link on troubleshooting. The first step led me to the connection. Total time to fix… < 30 minutes.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Glad to help. I wouldn't have ever known about that procedure if I had not encountered a problem similar to yours! Jim