Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
Elk Hunting & Camping in Wyoming

First big trip in the planning and I am trusting one of you with big experience will help. Wayne has me doing all the "planning"...although he has arranged to take our dear son-in-laws elk hunting at the Canyon Creek something or other near Jackson Hole / Grand Teton Nat'l Park. We're coming from Michigan and planning on taking 3 weeks with the Montana. Any ideas where to stay once we're out there? Sam's Club recommends I-80 all the way so that part is pretty easy -- just starting in the beginning stages but would LOVE recommendations for campgrounds.

Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Oh no thats a white knuckle picture. As far as CGs, For a base to hunt out of, The Virginian is pretty nice, plus they have a really nice place to eat. Also close to downtown for shopping. Then another place that is about 50 miles north of Jackson and east of Moran Jct, KOA. not sure its name. Alot of the CG close the last of Sept middle of Oct. If I knew exactly where Canyon Creek is I can give you further ref. Give me an email and Ill get back to you. As far as coming across Hwy 80, I like 90 better and more to see. But depends where your going.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
Ohhhh, I am so happy for your reply! Canyon Creek's address is Teton, ID. We will be there the week before Labor Day, 2009. Grand Teton National Park advertises several campgrounds - one Colter Bay and the other Gros Ventre. Any recommendations with those? Orrrr - would it be better to stay elsewhere outside of the National Park? Thank you again!!!
Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #4
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
The Gros Ventre is a small campgound very nice as far as close to wildlife. I stayed there one time tenting. I don't recall any facilities per say. This CG is just north of Jackson then east maybe a mile. Not familiar with the CG in Yellowstone or Colter Bay. They are usally closed when we are there. Let me do some more looking and Ill let you know. Are you staying around Teton Nat Park first then going hunting in Idaho? It would be a very long drive to do it every day.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:39 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Good luck with your hunt. I travel to Wyoming every year and see less elk every trip. But the wolves are fat and slick. I've got meny friends in Wyoming they all report the same thing.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote