Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > MOC Gals General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
What do you cook in the 1/2 time oven

I need your help!!

I would love to know what you cook in your half time oven. If men are peaking into the womens thread please post your receipes too.

I am sure that I can cook more than biscuits and pizza in this thing before it breaks.

Martha Stewarts/Mister Stewarts please give me your tips.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
kroencke
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8171
I have cooked meat loaf, lasagne and different casseroles. Pretty much anything you cook in the oven can be cooked in the 1/2 time oven. I love it. Jackie
kroencke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:52 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Colleen,
If you want to test it out and are looking for guinea pigs, when's dinner?

Earlene is also looking on how to use the oven. We don't have a "standard" oven in th SOB and she has not cooked using half time.

Of course, I told her to operate it on the SWAG principle. (Read the instructions!) Of course that went over real big.

Editied: Oh! I was not insinuating that you did not read the instructions!! Uh! Uh! I'm not intimidating a Texas gal that might do wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off - like some others I know. No way!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I cook everything in the 1/2 time oven that will fit on turnstyle and then I bought another rack that has a 4"rise. I can can bake two pies at the same time or have meat and potatoes on the bottom and add the veggies to the top. I use the same temp as the regular oven but if it calls for 60 min. in the reg. oven I set the timer for 60 minutes but start testing it at 40 minutes and continue to cook until done.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:15 AM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Helen,

When you are cooking do you keep it on the silver rack? Where did you get your 4" rack?

Since most of our camping has been for fun, and we are now living full time while adjusting Ike losses, I need suggestions on how to use it correctly.

Do you use a corning ware dish to cook in, or metal dishes?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks for your response.

Colleen
Old 10-05-2008, 04:59 AM   #6
labmom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8371
I've not tried the half time oven either. I do like the convection oven. Unfortunately, our instructions are in a cupboard way above my head (of course for those at the rally, you know I am vertically challenged anyway), but with the posts I will definitely be trying it, especially with Helen's recommendation. After a day's driving, it would be nice to have a meal done all in one like that, instead of going out. Thanks Helen, I will be looking forward to your answers.
Betsy
labmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:24 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Going out ain't bad, especially to that french restaurant "Jacque in la Box"...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
What do we cook in the half time over, easy, everything. It's good too!!
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
JimF,

Ok, spill it. What have you cooked and what did you cook it in (type of pan). Did you place it on top of the metal rack, or do you cook in the 1/2 time mode without it.

I cooked two chicken breasts with stove top stuffing mixed with a can of garlic mushroom soup. I placed all of it in a corning ware dish, covered it and cooked it for 30 mintues on 400 Degrees. I then placed it back on 350 Degrees for another 10 mintues. It turned out pretty good. I think I will use Peppridge Farms stuffing next time to cut down on the sodium content.

Colleen
Old 10-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
In the 1/2 time or the confection oven I use the silver rack that comes with the oven. That is a MUST. I use either glass, metal or silicone. Never use paper or plastic in this mode. I bought my 4" rack at an Escapee rally but it is one that comes with I think the Sharp 1/2 time oven so you might find them at their website.

My regular oven is used for storing things and I only use it at holidays when I need more oven space. We are fulltimers and I cook almost everything in the 1/2 time Just follow your regular receipe's except start checking for doneness a lot earlier. I do a lot of baking in mine also: cakes, cookies, pies and our favorite this time of the year, apple crisp.

I also have a silicone plate (looks like a pie pan) with a cover that has a few holes in the top and I steam my veggies in that as well as rice. It works great. You can do a roast, veggies, potatoes and everything right on the silver rack if you want to but watch it so drippings don't go over the side. I usually like to put mine in a small roaster. I used to cook my roast in the regular oven at 350 and that is what I do on the 1/2 time also. A meat thermometer is helpful with this so you don't over cook it. Fish can go in a glass plate with some butter or oil. Cover with aluminum foil (not plastic wrap) and cook for a short time until flaky. I usually like to bake potatoes on the baked potatoe setting first and while they are resting I put the fish in. Yum Yum. Meat loaf is also great.

I will be happy to share some of my favorite receipes with you if you want but try some of your own. Just remember......

When using confection or 1/2 time always put the silver rack in and never use paper or plastic. When using microwave, never use the silver rack or metal. Glass or silocone works in them all.

Hope that gives you a few ideas.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I love the convection part of the Apollo. I DON'T like the 1/2 time option because I cannot get good browning.

As an example, I take FROZEN chicken breasts, spray some butter PAM on the chicken and the 10" cake baking pan I purchased, put a little salt on the chicken and then cook at 450 degrees for 60 minutes (I always check with a thermometer). They come out crispy and juicy.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Ladies,
The rule of thumb for using the convection part of your ovens is to reduce the cooking temp by 25 degrees and increase the cooking time by 1/4 of the required time. Use low sided pans and elevate the food from the floor of the oven. This last allows better air flow around the foods.

The half time feature employs both microwave and convection cooking so metal pans are not recommended. Use whatever YOUR owners manual recommends as far as elevating foods is concerned because ovens vary. For more on this topic google Janet Sadlack.
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #13
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
Well... I'm a little surprised. I use parchment paper in my convection all the time... part of the time to keep fish from drying out while it's cooking (or Pork Chops) or to keep the metal tray clean. I've never had any problem with it and the cooking time is still great. Tell me why I shouldn't use paper? I don't half time very often because I don't like to microwave food... it allegedly destroys more nutrients than standard cooking.
Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:07 AM   #14
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Driftwoodgal, did you mixed the soup with the stuffing dry or did you make the stuffing as directed and then put the soup on? I have all the stuff and would like to make it tonight. Thanks
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #15
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Bob,

I mixed the dry stuffing with the soup. I did add a little extra chicken broth too. You could just use a little water if you don't have chicken broth. I always keep powdered chicken bouillon in the pantry.

Be sure to cover it when you are cooking so it won't dry out.

Colleen
Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #16
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Colleen, that is exactly what I did, and I have it covered right now to go in the oven. It sounded so good. Thanks, Sherry
bob is offline   Reply With Quote