Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
KJReynolds
Established Member

M.O.C. #8215
slide toppers

We just ordered a 3400rl (we currently own a 3295rk) and we're trying to decide if we want slide toppers. A friend put toppers on and hates them. He says the toppers flap in the wind and make a horribly loud noise. Are the toppers worth it?

Also, the dealer wants to sell us 2 6 volt, deep charge batteries with a 80 amp converter/charger. Is there a better setup we should consider? We want to get it right the first time.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice you can render. We're about to hit the road full time (May 1, 2008) and we only want to have to outfit the new rig once.

Take care and Happy Trails,
Bob and KJ Reynolds

KJReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
The toppers will make noise when the wind is from the direction where it blows under them. We have had to take the slides in to be able to sleep on windy nights. I do like the way they keep debris and rain off the slide roof though. Would I buy them again; not sure at this point. I'll let someone else answer your other question.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We have toppers and they do make noise in the wind, we have never taken a slide in because of wind and have been in some real bad storms. While I don't like the noise I don't like a leak even more. Would I do it again on a new trailer, you bet.

Enjoy your new unit..
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I would use the toppers again also. keeps the water out from around the top seal. If the wind is blowing right,without the toppers it can push the water under the seal,I saw on another thread here recently, some guys are putting a wide web strap around them loosely to keep them from quiet. worth a try I am sure that will work.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This is my second Big Sky, both without toppers. If I buy a third, it will be without toppers too. I don't want the noise and do not experience any of the afore mentioned leaks.

If I setting up, I would consider the 2 - 6 volt batteries. The thing to do is do a search on the internet about batteries. Then you can make an informed decision.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob and KJ, I think you're doing the right thing by asking this question. You can then decide for yourselves. I will try to give you the positives and negatives as I see them.

This is our third Montana since January 2001 and all three have had toppers. If there is another RV with slides in our future, it also will have the toppers.

Yes, they make a little noise in the wind but we quickly get used to that. It takes a lot of wind to cause ours to make noise. These things are adjustable and I suspect many who have excessive noise have toppers that need adjusting. Unfortunately, it's not an easy adjustment for the average layman so a dealer is best for that.

We have never had a leak from the roof of our slides. My feeling is that if the roof will leak, then it needs to be fixed whether you have toppers or not. The toppers just hide the problem, in that case.

The advantages of toppers are worth the little bit of occasional noise, to us. I do not have to go up on the roof (rain or shine) to sweep off any obstacles on the slide roofs that might damage the seals (a sure way to cause water leaks). We've been under pecan trees, walnut trees, oak trees (acorns), pine trees (pine cones) many other trees, and those obstacles just roll off the side when the slides are retracted. We've been under trees in the Autumn when they're dropping all those leaves. They just roll off the topper when the slides are retracted.

When we are in an area with ice, I don't have to climb up on the roof and slide around trying to chip ice off the slide roof so the slides will retract. It just rolls off the toppers when the slides retract. Yes, we sometimes are where there is ice.

The negative side is primarily the noise you get in heavy, gusty winds. And we get used to that pretty quickly. If we were weekenders/vacationers we probably would not get used to it like we do now, living in this thing all the time. Another negative is the expected life of those toppers is only three to five years. On our 2003 Montana, we traded it at a bit over four years and the toppers were showing wear. Within six months or so they would have needed replacing.

I hope this helps. I will not have a fifthwheel without the toppers. But those who don't want the toppers feel that way for reasons just as legitimate as mine. I hope you get enough information to make the decision that is best for you. Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I don't have them and never will. I have never had anything get in the rig and I don't sweep off the slides. NUWA, the makers of the Hitchhiker brand, doesn't offer them and doesn't recommend them. go to the frequently asked questions section of their web site for their reasons. Those are the same reasons I was given when my dealer told me not to get them.

YMMD
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We have had the toppers on both our Montanas and will again on our third. I can get used to the noise easily. When you camp under the pine trees and they are dropping their twigs with the sap on them, they stick to everything. The twigs will not get against your seals with toppers, but could penetrate the seals if not removed. If the twigs get rolled up in the toppers and, they can poke thru , but even replacing the toppers after a few years is cheaper than the damage that could occur from bad seals on the slides.
If you can get the two 6 volt batteries, go for it. As far as getting it right the first time, there is always something you just shoulda got!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:25 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ditto what Steve said! EVERYTHING he said.

Our opinion, our rig, our choice, just like Stiles and his opinion, his rig, his choice. Ya'all make your choices, based on what you hear us say, good luck and enjoy the rig.

The dealers can say they would not advise toppers, but do they live in these units???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:50 AM   #10
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I agree with Steve,Emmel and Coral. We also have them and would NOT be with out them. One thing that sold DW is birds and what they leave. If this is what you want in your unit, then don't get them. If you decide to get them ,have them install by the factory when you unit is built.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:46 AM   #11
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
I have to agree with Steve, our big complaint was the A&E's the factory put on only lasted about 4 years. Being just weekend/vacationers we chose to replace them with Carefrees last year rather than going without since there is no need to replace the 5er. We have never had a problem with the noise. When we do replace the 5er we will have the Carefree acrylic toppers put on the new one. We do a lot of camping under the pine trees in the Carolina's and I would hate to have to climb on the roof and sweep them off.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #12
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
My brother ordered the toppers when he ordered his Montana last year, and he loves them. His RV use is primarily on weekend trips to Texas flea markets. He also leaves the slides out when he parks at home because the rig serves as an extra bedroom for guests. He has little or no wind to contend with, ever.

When we bought our new Montana in August, the toppers were already installed. We are set up on the back side of a reservoir, in the Garfield Canyon "alleyway." Constant winds here are an everyday thing, usually in the 10 - 20 MPH range, but this winter we've been pounded by very high and steady winds in the 30 - 50+ mph range, with gusts measured in the 60+ mph range.

We like how the toppers keep the trash off the slideouts, but noise is definitely a factor with them in our situation. It's not just a little flapping, either; it's enough to keep us awake, terrify our pets, and worry us about the possibility of damaged toppers. I have no doubt that ours will need replacing before they're a year old because the flapping is severe and nearly constant. At times, the toppers flap so loudly that we have difficulty hearing the television or normal conversation.

We'd move the slides in at night so we could sleep peacefully, but our rig is still skirted. February in Montana means sub-zero temperatures at night are a regular thing. We're not removing the skirt until spring is sprung!

Would I have the toppers on my next Montana? Yes. We won't be parked full-time in an area like we're in now, so the noise shouldn't be a constant problem, and when we have no wind, the toppers do keep the slideout tops clean of dust and bits of sagebrush.

I climb a ladder and move the accumulated ice and snow from the toppers a couple of times a week because I'm a classic OCD case and worry about damage from that constant weight on the toppers. Using a window-cleaning tool that has a soft cotton-mop type end, about 2" by 12", I begin by gently pushing up on the underside of the topper, causing the ice to slide off first. Then I push back and forth (again, gently) on that underside until all the loose snow and small ice pieces move to the outer edges of the topper. Finally, from the top side, I push off the remaining snow and small pieces of ice that remain along the edges. I don't mind that little job a bit--it gives me a chance to look out over the willows and lake and spot the moose or deer I can't always see from ground level.
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wayne, you make some good and valid points. I have to wonder, though, if your toppers are too loosely adjusted. Ours will flap but do not keep us awake. If you get a chance you might try the strap method of strapping the toppers down enough to keep that flapping down.

It's not a bad idea to remove the ice and snow but, just so you are aware of it, the toppers are on rollers just like the patio awning. The weight of the ice and snow pulls more material off the roller as it sinks down to the top of the slide. In other words, the weight should not hurt it at that point. However, when you retract the slides, if that weight is still on the toppers, then as the roller retrieves the material it will have to lift that weight. We've had up to 12 inches of snow and an inch of ice (not at the same time) and they've not been hurt. But lifting that weight definitely would cause some strain with the potential to damage the fabric.

Just some thoughts.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
We have toppers on all of our slides. Would not be without them. Don't mind the wind.Never had to bring the slides in because of wind. We would mind the bird poop on top of the exposed slides when we bring them in along with all of the other debries etc.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KJReynolds

We just ordered a 3400rl (we currently own a 3295rk) and we're trying to decide if we want slide toppers. A friend put toppers on and hates them. He says the toppers flap in the wind and make a horribly loud noise. Are the toppers worth it?

Also, the dealer wants to sell us 2 6 volt, deep charge batteries with a 80 amp converter/charger. Is there a better setup we should consider? We want to get it right the first time.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice you can render. We're about to hit the road full time (May 1, 2008) and we only want to have to outfit the new rig once.

Take care and Happy Trails,
Bob and KJ Reynolds
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Hi, Steve, and thanks for the information about the weight those toppers can hold. That will stop all my trips up and down the ladder in an attempt to keep the snow and ice off of them. You do realize, however, that I'll just find something else to be obsessive/compulsive about since the toppers won't do it anymore!

I have a question about strapping them down to reduce or stop the flapping, because I thought about clamping them when the first wind arrived in August. I used Camco De-Flappers on the patio awning of our first 5th-wheeler, but after looking at the edges of the slideouts, I can't see that there's enough of a ridge or anything else to secure the clamp that would need to go there.

Maybe I'm not thinking about the problem from the right point of view. By using bungee cords, I could probably rig those De-Flappers so that they'd work, but that's a lot of bungees for 3 slideouts, and they'd have to be rigged so that the bottom of them they didn't move around in the wind. (Serious wind here, very serious.) If you can offer a suggestion for clamping, please do so because I would love to save the toppers and my sanity. People who have been in the rig when the toppers are doing their thing swear that it's the best form of torture around, bar none.

Thanks again for the info about the weight deal. And, not that it matters, but I am the one behind the keyboard and monitor and the one who goes up and down the ladder. Wayne is the one who hovers over me as I type and the one who occasionally gets out of his recliner to lean out the door and remind me to "Be careful!" as I'm up on that ladder! (He's hoverning now and wants me to delete this last paragraph.)

Carolyn
Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are of course positives and negatives. They do flap under high wind conditions and make some noise but then all you need to do is be in one of these in high winds toppers or no toppers and you are going to hear noise. They do keep stuff off the top of the slides,they do keep water off the top of the slide.We have had ours 20 months now slides mostly out. They have flapped like crazy in the high winds of AZ..They have pushed 2 or 4 inches of snow and ice off in our driveway in Ohio. I am a old guy and I would hate to have to send Helen up on a ladder to clean off the slide top.They are expensive..we gave up High Gloss finish, Dual pane windows and the fireplace to have the toppers. The long slide is more apt to leak than not without the slide toppers..IMO the positives outweigh the negatives.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carolyn, we used to live in Kansas, the land of the perpetual wind. We also have been in some very nasty winds in our travels, including our two months in the Rio Grande Valley a couple of years ago. Yes, I was worried at times whether the toppers would come apart. But they survived very nicely for about four years. I think UV rays got to them more than wind. That doesn't mean wind can't cause damage, just that it didn't on ours.

As for strapping them down, I've not yet done that but I intend to in the next week or two. First I have to buy the straps. This was discussed on another thread. I like the idea of using web strapping, like you see to tie things down in pickups and other places. Home Depot and Lowe's have it. I think Walmart does, too. What was recommended in that other thread is to throw the strap over the topper, then attach bungee cords to each end of the strap. The bungee cords would then be attached under the slides to whatever connection point is convenient. Some folks use rope and that would work too but I'd worry about chafing against the edge of the topper. So I'll use the web straps. I still have to figure out how to create a loop to attach the bungee cords to. I guess I could tie them if nothing else.

Maybe someone has a better idea.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Carolyn,

Would be my take that if there is a bunch of snow and ice up there, the wind could not make them flap??? I would be leaving that snow, as Steve points out, the springs can take it. But, I fear heights too, and my body would not like me getting all that snow off the tops like in your photo. I vote to leave the white stuff up there!!! Isn't snow an insulator in situations like this???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve..If you do that with the toppers let me know how you think it works.. Personally I do not think it is a good idea as they do have that tension adjustment that does work in high winds and we have been in some high winds for long periods of time. We tried the " beach ball" method in Az and it shot out of the awning like a cannon shot. We tried tying them down and we thought they flapped worse.We do not use anything on any awning as if we have to we want to be able to get the awning up or the slide in with out being hindered by tie downs. We endured some 50 Knot Plus reported winds in Az where we came real close to abandoning the 3400 as everything was flapping including the slides.Other more expensive campers lost toppers, and awnings that were tied down with what they called "Hurricane straps" but the ole 3400 retained all its parts.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #20
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I now see more sides to this topper question than I thought possible. Yes, when the toppers are covered with snow they don't make noise, although even with 6" of snow on them, they still move up and down in the winds we have. I tried the beach ball thing last fall; I'm sure the ice fisherman on the lake are wondering why there are colorful beach balls bouncing around out there on the ice with them.

I can picture how the web strapping would work, but then there's the problem of damaging the tension that keeps the toppers taut. When the wind died tonight, I went out with a flashlight and looked at the left and right edges where the toppers meet the trailer. On all but one, there's no damage yet. On the big slideout, the top edge closest to the door looks as though it has the beginning of a tear--probably half an inch or less. Maybe I should put some kind of fabric tape over and under that area to keep it from actually tearing. We have another 2+ months of living in the Montana before we can retire it to normal camping/traveling use.

I do like the toppers and am glad our trailer came with them because we might not have added them if we had custom-ordered our rig. I just hate that we have to put our beautiful new Monty through a winter of wind!