Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2007, 01:25 AM   #21
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
Just a little word of caution.

No, not on the 'fix', but the area. Those metal edges up there are SHARP!

Bill

BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:40 AM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for the heads up, Bill.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:37 AM   #23
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
UPDATE on mine..had a tranny cooler line leak repared, and dealer checked vin # so I got the new steer column fix also.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:40 AM   #24
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Ever year when I would have the truck inspected at the dealer I would complain about this problem,first year they replaced it free,2nd year they did something ,3rd year they took it out packed it with grease and put it back in,this year they replaced it with the new and improved one that came out in the last year.We'll see what this year brings.To date it hasn't cost me a cent,it is a 2003 dually with a gm extended warranty.
There is a good website called http://dieselplace.com/forum/index.php that covers a lot of issues and fixes
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #25
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
They replaced the intermediate steering shaft in my '03 GMC almost a year ago after I complained of the front end clunking. There was no mention of any cost, however when I left their lot & traveled less than one block at very slow speed, I found I had no steering - NONE whatsoever. I was able to come to a stop & spun the steering wheel which just went around like a wheel on a bearing, but no connection to the front wheels. After walking back to the dealer office & reporting the problem they went & got the truck & found the service tech had either forgotten to replace the pin or put it in only partially & it worked out. I was more happy than they were that I hadn't gotten out to the freeway. Whenever I go in now they refer to me as "The Boss" because I, or my surviving family, would have owned their dealership. By the way, the shop foreman told me I was lucky on a 2nd issue also. Apparently spinning the steering wheel can wind up the wiring for the airbag & cause it to deploy. That would have been the frosting on the cake. Thinking back, maybe this is why there was no mention of cost to do the work. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Well, I went and painstakingly tightened that hose clamp. Very difficult for my 6-2, 250#, 2 bad shoulders, body to accomplish this feat. While it is very tight, I may not have it on both plastic and metal, as it still rattles.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #27
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
My dealer in northern Wisconsin told me basically the same thing. They will replace the intermediate shaft under warranty that they don't grease the things enough at the factory. So as soon as we get settled in Savannah I will take it in anf have a new shaft installed and they grease the hell out of it. I thought at first the the front end had started to come loose because it knocked at low speed and in turns. Oh Well.... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #28
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
clyde n deb, thanks for the info. I'll try it soon. For everyone else, don't put much hope in the factory fix. My 2003 has 120,000 on it and is really clunking. I had it lubed the first 2 times at around $130 per shot, and then about 30,000 ago they placed the "new and improved" kit in to the tune of about $150 IIRC. I'm sick of sinking money into what appears to be an unsolvable problem, so I'm going to try clyde's idea.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote