Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
KFJ

M.O.C. #6986
California to Oregon

August 27 we will be traveling from Pismo Beach Calif to Gold Beach Oregon. I was looking for suggestions for best route of travel while avoiding the Bay Area and good places to stay enroute, traveling 300 miles per day.

KFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
We live in Sacramento and are going to Oregon all the time. We normally go up interstate 5 to Hwy 138 or 38 head towards Elkton, Oregon. If you follow that hwy you will come out at Reedsport go south on 101 we stay at Winchester Bay, Or. It's a nice place to stay your between the bay and the harbor. After we stay there we head south on 101 to Gold Beach, we stayed at a place on the Rogue River called Kimball Creek Bend RV. There are a lot of places in Gold Beach, you have Arizona Beach, Honeybear, Four Season's, Ireland's Ocean View and Indian Creek. We've only stayed at Kimball so I can't speak for any of the other ones. Hope you have a nice vacation. Take Jerry's Rogue river White water jet boats it's a blast.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
We will be visiting Oregon and will need to get from Fall City (near Seattle) to Port Angeles. Would like to avoid the islands, bridges and ferry. Any suggestions.

Thank you

Bryan and Judy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Debbie Asher

We live in Sacramento and are going to Oregon all the time. We normally go up interstate 5 to Hwy 138 or 38 head towards Elkton, Oregon. If you follow that hwy you will come out at Reedsport go south on 101 we stay at Winchester Bay, Or. It's a nice place to stay your between the bay and the harbor. After we stay there we head south on 101 to Gold Beach, we stayed at a place on the Rogue River called Kimball Creek Bend RV. There are a lot of places in Gold Beach, you have Arizona Beach, Honeybear, Four Season's, Ireland's Ocean View and Indian Creek. We've only stayed at Kimball so I can't speak for any of the other ones. Hope you have a nice vacation. Take Jerry's Rogue river White water jet boats it's a blast.
BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
We have been to Gold Beach and stayed at the HoneyBear RV campground which is very nice. They have a restaurant there and a small market, they are a German family and the owner puts on a comedy show each evening and then they have dancing. The river jet boat ride is a lot of fun and the fishing on the Rogue is usually pretty good. We went up 101 and there were many nice RV parks along the way.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KFJ

August 27 we will be traveling from Pismo Beach Calif to Gold Beach Oregon. I was looking for suggestions for best route of travel while avoiding the Bay Area...
We have done this a couple of times as separate trips but I would put it together as follows:

From Pismo - North on 101, East on 46 and then East on 41 to I-5. Follow I-5 North (through Sacramento) until either Hwy-20 at Williams (1st choice) or Hwy-299 at Redding. Go [s]East[/s] West on either 20 or 299 until you get to Hwy-101 when you want to go North to Gold Beach.

An alternative is to stay on I-5 until after Canyonville OR where you can take Hwy-42 [s]East[/s] West to Bandon and then pick up Hwy-101 South to Gold Beach.

The 20/299 - 101 route is slower than the 42 - 101 route, but a very scenic route that won't be a tough pull with your trailer.

Edited to correct directions thanks to Capt Kidd.

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:51 AM   #6
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Both good ideas except if you go east on either 20 or 299 you will never get to 101. You have to go west.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Capt Kidd

Both good ideas except if you go east on either 20 or 299 you will never get to 101. You have to go west.
Duh!!! At least I got the North part correct. East on either 20 or 299 will take you to some scenic places though. Thanks for the catch.

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote