Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
SurgeGuard Update

Based on many peoples' input and especally ols1932's, I went with the 50 amp SurgeGuard after learning that the Circuit Analyzer (from the same company, TRCI) was defective. I returned the Circuit Analyzer.

The SurgeGuard was delivered at our last CG, where we booked with Passport America - relevant because we were put in the area "reserved for PA", all 30 amp and an older area of the CG. The SurgeGuard shut down our power 6 times, all between the hours of 4 and 5:30 pm, when everyone on our circuit started up their AC's and the power on this line dipped to dangerously low levels (below 103 volts).

At our next CG, with 50 amps and also PA, the SurgeGuard cut our power due to a surge in power possibly due to the severe thunderstorms at the time.

All I can say: I like the SurgeGuard.

BTW, instead of buying the lock, I used a 4 inch hose clamp and tightened it around the end of the Monty's 50 amp cord.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Geeze ... sounds like you also need to invest in an AutoFormer. I have one hard wired in my fiver ... at Stockton Lake in MO last July when most everyone else was compaining that their A/C just wasn't cooling quite right, mine just purred right along ... no worries.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
The beauty of the surge guard it will cut your power off.The downside its a pain in the butt having that happen.It does happen a lot at camp grounds where very one and his mother is running their AC`s.The autoformer does come in handy in those situations.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
azranger
Established Member

M.O.C. #7203
Camping World has Surge Guard models 34750 and 34730 on sale:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...filiateID=1928
azranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Update on the "Monitor" version. I recieved a recall notice. TRC is recalling all of the Model AECM10096 240V/50A Surge Protection & Circuit Analyzers...... "TRC has determined that the ........ Analyzer does not indicate an ope neutral until an unbalanced load is applied to the circuit. Open Neutral may result in damage to connected equipment within the RV Coach."
After contacting TRC and initially being told I was owed nothing because I got the previous customer discount on the better unit (34750) my case was sent up from senior management review. I am happy to say that I was contacted and asked to submit my repair bills and they would reimburse me for all damages and refund me the cost of the original unit. I am happy, I had to push a little instead of roll over but they quickly recognized the right answer.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote