Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Door County, WI & Mackinac Island, MI

We're hoping to spend part of the summer in these areas and would love to hear about the best places to camp and visit. We're especially interested in knowing which state parks are most desirable as the price for private campgrounds is not desirable ($45 per night). Thanks for your help. We'll be there in August.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Judy, a few years ago we stayed at the Tee Pee RV park in Mackinac City, MI and found it quite nice. Just a small park, but with nice trees. We were with friends who were driving a large Motorhome (We in our fifth-wheel) and we had plenty of space. I note that the rates are shown in the latest TL CD as $25 to $28. The sites were grass, but I must admit I like that. Our site was level. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

gjcooley@triton.net,
(231)436-5391.

is the information given in the latest TL software.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, David, I'll look into that park. Anything special that you recommend we see while we're there?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, I could write a book about Door County. We love it there but I can't remember a name of a campground for the life of me. There is a really nice State Park in the County though and I mean really nice. I can just picture it but not the name. One of the best things we did though was go to a "Fish Boil." It was on Hwy 57 and oh so much fun. Also take the ferry and your truck to Washington Island for the day. I could go on and on but the tourists books have all the info in them. We liked it around Egg Harbor and Sister Bay the best but that was also the most expensive. The fish boils are very popular any night but really so on Friday nights.

When in Mackinac be sure to go out to the Mackinaw Island early in the morning. In August it gets really hot and you do a lot of walking since no cars are allowed. Also by late afternoon the smell can get pretty bad with all the horses that take the tourists around the island. . All of the State Parks in Michigan are wonderful and they have super campgrounds. The first time we were in the area though we stayed at the Sault Ste Marie campground. Right on the Sault and watched all the boats going thru from Lake Heron to Lake Superior or visa versa and it was so neat.

You have picked a great area to spend August.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
How exciting, Helen. We got a reservation at the Straits State Park for mid August for five days today. Sounds like a nice place and the Michigan State Parks have WiFi now. Still have to find a place at Door County. It should make for a great August.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy, I have heard that some of the parks have wifi, not sure all of them, but, one that I know did last summer, I was told you had to carry your laptop to the concession stand, as the wifi only went 150 feet from the building. Since the building was closed in the fall when we were at that park, I did not even get a chance to try that out. Will be interesting to see what they have at Gun Lake this year. Let us know what you find, ok???
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Carol, I did read the statement on the internet that all Michigan State Parks now have wifi, but, as you mentioned, it may have unusual access issues. I'll keep you informed.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:31 AM   #8
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Judy, it has been 4 years, but we really liked Mackinaw Mill Creek campground. It is right on the water (Lake Huron, I think) with a nice view of the impressive Mackinaw Bridge from the south side. Cost back then was $18 per night. Probably gone down since then, right? We enjoyed biking on Mackinaw Island, and the little town of St.Inglace on the north side of the bridge was really neat.

We also enjoyed the Soo Locks Campground ($21 back then) in Sault St. Marie MI. Watching the ships pass was fun, and there was an interesting restaurant nearby called the Antler Restaurant, I think.
Really great area to visit.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:58 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Bob, do you take a ferry to Mackinaw Island and, if so, can you take your bikes on the ferry? I'm sure ALL those campground fees have gone down since you were there. Sure Right!

Thanks, everybody, for your ideas. Keep them coming. We're really looking forward to our stay in Michigan and Wisconsin after fishing for a week at Leech Lake in Minnesota.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, you do take the ferry over and yes you can bring your bikes (for extra fee) or you can rent them there. When are you going to be in Minnesota? I suppose it will be before we get back from Alaska.
Helen
Old 03-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our fishing trip is for mid July for a week. I think you'll be busy elsewhere at that time. Are you going to be back in time for the Sept. rally, Helen?
Old 03-31-2006, 03:10 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We aren't sure Judy. We plan on being back in Minnesota by September but will have to get Dr. and Dentist appointments so we can get our next year's meds. We plan on going to Flordia and if it works out we would love to start out our trip at the rally.
Helen
Old 03-31-2006, 08:28 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sounds like a good start to me!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:53 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Be sure to take a buggy tour on Mackinac Island! For those not familiar with the area, it looks like it is pronounced mack-i-nac but they pronounce it mack-i-naw. And be sure to tour the fort on the island but before you do tour the one at Macinac City. It's the original. During the revolution, when the fort was threatened, they packed it up and move it, board for board and brick for brick, to the island. Sounds like a brave bunch of guys to me but I'm sure they had a good reason. So, visiting the remains at Mackinac City gives you a good grounding before visiting the later fort on the island.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:58 PM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for that info, Steve. Good recommendations.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:52 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Judy

Cheryl and I live 90 miles from Mackinaw City. We spend as much time as possible up there. We have been to the Island many times. Mackinaw Island is a must see. You will need a GOOD pair of walking shoes and a [s]little[/s] lot of extra cash when you leave the mainland. It is expensive on the Island.

I may disagree slightly with Bill and Helen about the horses and the heat. The heat makes no difference. You will smell those horses at a WIDE variation of temps - not just in the heat. I grew up on horseback (barrel bending circuit), but Cheryl can get a little overwhelmed being from Garden City (Detroit). She just doesn't know that it can get MUCH worse than that.

Helen's right about the heat (humidity does most of the damage) that time of year. But you might want to take a sweatshirt with you for the ferry crossing, though. Lake Mich/Lake Huron do not EVER get that warm - usually. Although, Aug is about the only month you MAY be OK on that (might want to make that the first part of Aug...). Just remember, anything you take, you will have to carry all day with you (small backpack is good). They do have lockers now, though. Can't remember the price though.

I have frozen on the 30 min trip to the Island, as I was too stubborn to take a sweatshirt with me, because I didn't want to carry it all day on the Island (actually I think I made the stupid move more than once...). As Helen said - once to the Island, that sweatshirt will come off in a hurry.

I agree with Steve R, that you need to take the carriage ride - take the longer version, though (about $20-$25/person). The fort is great, of course, but the Grand Hotel is what really speaks for itself. $5 just to go on the porch. Black tie only in the hotel after 6 pm.

Gordon (GordonR) is planning on spending his anniversary at the Grand this year. Oops, hope that wasn't suppose to be a surprise, Gordon... Sorry! I think his wife knew. He said he'd saved up for it for a long time and it was going to be a "once in a lifetime experience". Cheryl and I will do it too someday and it will be a once in a lifetime for us, too. That is where Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour filmed "Somewhere in Time" in 1980.

If you are into riding bikes, take yours across on the ferry.

St Ignace is a quaint, quiet little town. If you like nice quiet shopping, that is the place to go. They will have about a hundred people in the streets and over on the other side, in Mackinaw City, they will have about 15,000 people. So beware of that culture shock.

In Mackinaw City itself, there is the Mackinaw Crossings. A very large open air entertainment and shopping area that I know you'll love. Plays and skits done on the grass courtyards every day. Lots of shopping. Also a show there, but usually a bit pricey for Cheryl and my blood. They also have a movie theater there.

Places to eat (keep in mind, Cheryl and I are cheap): Breakfast - the Pancake Chef (http://www.pancakechef.com/). Hands down on this one. Great food and a good price. Cheryl and I were asked to be in a commercial there last summer. Only three takes (not my fault...). We actually had lines. I know you'll find this had to believe, but I ad-libbed.

Best dinner: The Dixie Saloon (http://www.dixiesaloon.com/). Absolutely terrific food and very reasonable prices. Some places we were very disappointed in, so you have to be careful to a point. We had to eat a LOT to narrow this very important part of our vacation experience (to me) down. There are some other very beautiful dining experiences in Mackinaw City, but Cheryl and I had to just about go home early once, because we decided to try one of these places. Gorgeous ambience, but had to re-calculate the budget REAL fast.

Judy, if you have any time, you guys need to make a day trip to Sault Ste Marie (60 miles straight up I-75) and take the Soo Locks boat tour. You won't be sorry.

Our very favorite CG is Mill Creek. Very popular. 600-700 beautiful sites. Max amp service is 30 amp - they do have full hookups and handle big rigs. You do not need a "Lakeside" site to enjoy the view of both the Bridge and the Island. Ore freighters going by are awesome.

Here's Mill Creek Info:

Home:
http://www.campmackinaw.com/index.htm

Rates:
http://www.campmackinaw.com/pop-up_Rate.htm

Sold Out Sites (updated twice a week):
http://www.campmackinaw.com/sold_out_camp_sites.htm

Judy, If you have any questions, please PM or email me. It might be possible to get together for dinner one night while you're staying up there. OK, I can already see that you are worried about that. Well, anyway, it might be possible. I'd have to check Cheryl's schedule as SHE's still working (aren't I awful?)

Gordon also stays at the Straights State Park every year. He owns property up in Sault Ste Marie. Maybe you could get ahold of him relating to questions on those two places.

You will fall in love with this area.

Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:35 AM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wonderful post, Dave. It will make our visit even more wonderful. We'd love to meet for dinner so we'll be in touch as the time gets closer. We're finding out that northern Michigan is a great place to visit. I lived in northern Illinois and never traveled up there. What was I thinking! But now we have a lot to look forward to.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:48 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent info, Dave. You mentioned so many things I'd forgotten about. We very much enjoyed Mackinaw Crossing. There was a third thing in "the tour" besides the Crossing and the Fort that we also enjoyed. I just can't remember the name.

When we were there, there were, three (I think it was three) different ferry lines to cross to the island. All are the same price, or were then. We made the mistake (in my opinion) of taking the one with the largest boats. It was windy and somewhat rough the day we went to the island and that ferry smoothed out the ride way too much. Lost the flavor of the ride, in my opinion (Vicki's opinion varied from that). Being an old Navy sailor I wanted Vicki to experience the "rough seas". Unfortunately I chose the wrong ferry for that. Next time we will take the smallest boat (right dear?).

We chose St.Ignace for our stay rather than Mackinaw City or Cheboygan area simply because the rv park gives the 50% discount for Passport America membership. We were there a week or so and as I recall got the discount for the entire stay. It's a nice park. The county or state park on the way to Cheboygan from Mackinaw City looked like a beautiful place when we drove by it a few times.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:59 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Forgot to mention that Cheryl and I stayed a few times back in the early 90's at the Tee Pee Campground. Had a good time but haven't been there since, so I can't help out too much on that one. We stayed there during the annual Mackinaw City softball tournament every Sept.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:16 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will be up there also Dave after the FCRV convention In Canada.I would say July 15th and we will be there for a week or so. Wiil need a good campground..Full hooks and room for a 3400.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote