Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2008, 06:19 AM   #21
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Rubble Express
I just wonder where you get your information that paper is still the best when it comes to filtration? there are many other materials out there that are known to be superior. Also you guys better be careful you will be voiding your warrantys. Al

BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:33 AM   #22
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Check out this article.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Glen
I agree, most things you read on these diesel forums is by some body that has no knolage or experience and they give no scientific proof. I was using The diesel garage as a link to this web page http://www.members.cox.net/td-eoc/IN...K%20PRIMER.doc. Its a full 27 pages, given with the authur says is scientific proof.
Lynwood
I don't know why that link doesen't work. I think this one will, Then cligk on THERMAL FEEDBACK PRIMER at the top of the page.
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ad.php?t=72760
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 PM   #24
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
My dealer informed me if I install on my 07' any kind of wet filter,my warranty would be void!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:19 AM   #25
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Slick Willie
Some of the filters in that test are no longer made. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #26
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Glen
I agree, most things you read on these diesel forums is by some body that has no knolage or experience and they give no scientific proof. I was using The diesel garage as a link to this web page http://www.members.cox.net/td-eoc/IN...K%20PRIMER.doc. Its a full 27 pages, given with the authur says is scientific proof.
Lynwood
I don't know why that link doesen't work. I think this one will, Then cligk on THERMAL FEEDBACK PRIMER at the top of the page.
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ad.php?t=72760
Don't know how long you've followed that guy (KB), but he has quite a reputation. He was banned from one of the diesel forums. Seems he has had a number of fixes for the overheating LLY engines, but none seem to do the job. He sold folks a bunch of junk. He does seem to be highly intelligent, but out to make a quick buck. Oh, and I recall one post on a diesel forum where he queried as to how to get the serpentine belt off his Duramax; now does that seem like the guy you want tinkering with your 40 grand plus truck? Seems IIRC he was a pilot for the Air Force.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #27
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BigAl52

Slick Willie
Some of the filters in that test are no longer made. Al
Perhaps that test had something to do with that. BTW, we see where K & N is on the list.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #28
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
It is my understanding there is a new, or new to me K&N filter available for diesel motors. The new one has a covering of some type on it...made especially for diesels.
I have used the old style for 6 years and it definitely helps MPG opposed to the stock filter.
There is another cone shaped filter on the market that is to be cleaned like a K&N and is to be used without the air-box, I installed this and it did seem to help a bit regarding MPG. It did create a bit more noise from the engine compartment....but a few days ago I noticed the inside of the air duct, going to the turbo had a slight film of oil at the entrance. This was something I had never noticed using the K&N, so I discontinued the cone shaped filter and reinstalled the air-box with the K&N.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #29
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Big Al
I guess the term paper filter might be wrong. I'm not sure what the OEM filters are made of (paper I would guess) but the test results were based on OEM filters against high flow reusable filters. I know the stock filter on the 6.0 is massive compared to the Duramax filter. It also costs an arm and a leg to replace. Apparently Ford wanted to make sure no dirt got on that (initially) very tempermental turbo! The AFE filter that I have has the same "overall" dimensions as stock, BUT... it is really a hollow core of a filter compared to stock. For filtering ability, there is no substitute for stock. Now...is an extra 20hp and maybe 1mpg worth a little dirt? I still can't decide whether to install it or not. We don't pull the Monty that much (yet), so I'll probably hold off for a while as we live on a gravel road and I don't like the results of the tests I've seen.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #30
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Like others, I have heard the KN should not be used on the Duramax due to air flow problems. I use strickly OEM filters...why take a chance with a 100k warranty?
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:02 AM   #31
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Dave and bigmurf,
It's not like I messed with the computer by adding a chip or reprograming. It only makes sense that if you allow more and cooler air to the intake that an improvement will take place.
Years ago you took the air cleaner off those 4 barrels to add more air and improve performance. Worked than and should work today.

Will,
Try it Glenn. Let us know what you think."
No offense but I rarely read "The diesel gargage forum" or any of the diesel forums as I have absolutely no idea who all those so called diesel "experts" are in the real life. At one time I did read them all and soon found the same posters using different User IDs saying one thing on one forum and using a different ID totally contradicting himself on another forum. Seems some of them like having it both ways. I even recall one individual who had a Ford on one forum and a Dodge on another and if I tried a bit harder I probably would have found him with a GM on still another.
In many cases years ago when you took the air cleaner off your 4 barrel, it just sounded like it had more power. I had an AirRaid cold air kit on my last 2004 gasser, sounded annoyingly powerful till I took it off at trade-in time only to realize the truck ran exactly the same, except the cab noise level was gone and it was peacefull to drive again.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:20 AM   #32
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
This thread brings to mind a conversation I had with a Dodge owner recently while we still lived at Aransas Pass. His 07 6.7 Cummins 3500 had caught fire (believed to be from turbo overheat-another story)and he was talking to a dealer in Corpus. The dealer told him there would be a campaign on the newer Dodge diesels due to an issue with overfueling on #6 cylinder. He then proceeded to tell him that they had been instructed to check all filters for OEM, and if any were not OEM, the truck would be flagged for denial of any warranty service in the future.

Now don't go quoting me the law on warranty denial, because I already know this flies in the face of that law, but this is what he was told. He is having a terrible time getting Dodge to fix his truck. When he told corporate he was going to get an attorney to handle it, he was told rather abruptly they have deep pockets and lots of attorneys. BTW, this guy is a diesel mechanic, no programmers, totally stock engine.

From talking with him, I get the feeling he wishes he hadn't had a fire extinguisher. Only thing was, the fifth wheel was in tow.