Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #21
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
David: I don't really know how much the generator weighs, I'm going to look on the Onan website to see if it says.

Dick: Good to hear your house sold quick. I think you might have set some kind of record, at least with the market like it is. I thought we sold our house fast. It took us just under 3 months for our to sell.

Sorry I didn't respond very fast. We spent a week driving up the Oregon and Washington Coast. I am buying a truck box for the bed of the truck by the cab, I know I have about 200+lbs of room to spare on the trucks front axle. If I move a lot from the basement to the box, this should help the pin weight some. I am also putting the 2 bikes on the rear of the trailer and taking them out of the truck bed. I also carry a very heavy jack and stands and tools, which can also go in the new box. When I'm in transit I just won't carry any fresh water and I should be a lot closer to where I need to be.

traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #22
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
David:
I looked at Onan.com and it says the dry weight for the 5500LP Marquis Gold is 290 lbs, so with gen prep and all the fluids and exhaust pipe, probably 300+ lbs.
traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:51 AM   #23
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I wonder if I am over. Salesman checked my truck labels (weights) when I bought it and said I was fine.
How do I check it?
2002 F250Supecab, 4wdr, shortbed
2003 3295 rk?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:28 AM   #24
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Mike and Debbie,
Sorry to chuckle at your expense. What would you expect the dealer to say? Knowing what the label says the truck limits are does nothing to tell him how much the truck already weighs before you hook up the trailer. Oh and he probably didn't even have a good weight on the trailer and I can say with a fair degree of certainty it weighs more today than when you drove it off the lot.

Only way to know for sure is to visit a scale.

Just MHO,
Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #25
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Unfortunately many RV salesmen will tell you "you're fine" no matter what. The folks we bought our Mountaineer from were trying to pull it with a 1/2 ton pickup with stock suspension. The bumper would almost drag the ground. They bought it new and the dealer told them their truck would be "fine".
You should have a sticker somewhere to tell you the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) and GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of your truck. Then it's just a matter of getting weighed.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #26
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Traveltunes--thanks for the info on the Onan weight. Factoring that in, and the difference in the fresh water loads between our rigs when we each weighed ourselves, that indicates to me that you have about 800# more cargo in your Big Sky that I have in mine. Glad to hear that you were able to tow your Big Sky thru the mountains without a problem. Hope my wife doesn't read this or she'll think that she's free to go out and load up another 800# of cargo. LOL!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote