Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Trip routing

We are about to embark on a trip from Central Texas to Maine to join a Nova Scotia tour. If some of you have made the trip, please advise as to (1) preferred routing or main arteries to use, (2) specific sections or places to avoid.

Has anyone followed the travel plans put out by Good Sam?

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:27 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Stiles,

I'm not sure this is what you are asking about, but it won't hurt to mention it until others come forward with better responses:

I use the Trailer Life Campground Navigator before every trip, and even while on the road. It is a computer program (comes on CD) and has capacity for GPS, though I do not use GPS at all. I simply use the program as a supplement to my own planning. It is especially helpful in determining daily drive distances and campgrounds in the area where one might stop for the day. I enjoy using it and find it helpful. It should go without saying that I do not allow it to dictate, but only to provide route and campground suggestions.

Are you taking your Montana on that trip to Nova Scotia? That is a trip I'd like to make someday.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I do have GPS and it has worked great, but my range of use has been limited. Good Sam has a travel routing service available to its members. I am looking for an estimate of its reliability by someone who may have used it. I know we have some winter Texans who travel this approximate route, so I wanted their input from their travels; things like best route and/or routes to avoid.

Yes, we will be taking the Montana. We pick up the tour in Ellsworth, Maine and do some caravan guided touring of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. It is a 14 day excursion including whale watching, fine Canadian dining, theatre, historical sights and naturalistic panoramas.

I am curious to compare the RV tour with the 'baggage, bus, and hotel" type tour. We have done both guided and independent touring in Europe and Asia out of the suitcase. I think this will be more comfortable.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
New England seems to have a higher density of low clearance areas to be careful about. I highly recommend the Motor Carriers' Road Atlas, by Rand McNally. In the front section is a list of low clearance areas by highway number within state.

I have been using a 1996 edition but the other day bought a 2007 version at Barnes & Noble for $20. They had just one so not all may have it. If not, you should be able to find it at a truck stop.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote