Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
robbsteinke
Established Member

M.O.C. #7326
RV Insurance

My home and auto insurance is about to renew for the year. We are not full timers but are camping and using the Monty about 8 months out of the year. We have a 2006 2985RL, purchased 9/07. I put the Monty on my auto insurance, but have read about insurance companies other than home/auto insurance companies in this forum but cannot find the information again. Should have written it down when I found it, but did not. What other insurance companies are out there for the 5ver. I am currently insured by Farm Bureau.

Robb Steinke

robbsteinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Robb,
I own a small insurance agency in California...there is a huge difference in coverage between an auto policy and an RV policy. In a nut shell, several coverages are available on an RV policy that are either not available or less coverage. There are several fine companies that offer RV coverage, so it is best to shop or have an agent that represents several companies shop for you.
Here 'general' list of the coverages, several are optional:

1. An auto policy treats an rv as an automobile for loss settlement coverage which is ACV or actual cash value less depreciation. An RV policy can include an agreed amount or a replacement cost provision, a huge coverage difference.

2. Towing and labor is usually limited to a $ amount. An RV policy can include 'reasonable' coverage, meaning the policy is not limited.

3. Contents can be included on an RV, not on your auto. Even though your homeowners policy probably covers your contents there are several reasons I suggest insuring your contents on a RV policy. Normally your deductible is lower on your RV policy than your homeowners. Second, you can normally purchase a disappearing deductible on your RV meaning that your deductible is reduced annually until it disappears. If you have a claim, you could have two deductibles, one on the auto and one on your home. Lastly in some states if you have a homeowners claim, your rates will go up...not so with an RV policy.

4. Emergency expense is available on an RV policy, usually not on an auto policy. This pays for motel, meals etc in the event of an accident.

5. I know that this doesn't apply to you but liability insurance is available for full-timers.
Normally, the cost of RV insurance is not much more than on your auto policy.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Now there is some advise from a expert and valuable information.Very good.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
robbsteinke
Established Member

M.O.C. #7326
Ken,

Thank you for the details on RV insurance. I know that it is difficult for you to recommend insurance companies, and I will shop around, but is there some companies out there that offer this coverage that I can check out?

Robb
Old 03-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robb, I have RV insurance with American Home, $413.00 per year.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have our Rv insurance through our homeowners insurance,The company is Frankenmuth.The coverage on the RV is the same as our stick house. You might check your homeowners insurance company for a start and see if they offer such coverage.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We use Progressive (you can do quotes on-line), complete replacement for five years, then purchase price after that, bunch of other extras, roadside, hotels, etc, etc. Somewhere around $600 a year.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Robb,

As with any product/service, there is a wide variety of satisfaction. I would be more than happy to give you my impression of any quotes or policy offers that you may recieve. Just PM me with the details & I will share my thoughts..I do have some bias after 32 years...and there are many companies that I have no feed back on.

I can tell you this, I like specialty RV policies for several reasons....it is really the same reason I suggest that an antique autombile not be insured on your regular auto policy. A typical adjuster can adjust the loss on a recent model car...most don't have a clue what to do with a '32 Cord or some other collector car. An antique car owner has a special passion for the car, parts, restoration and care. It's the same with an RV, leave it to the companies that deal with them all the time.

You will notice the difference if you have a loss.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
robbsteinke
Established Member

M.O.C. #7326
Thanks, everyone for your generous comments.

Robb
Old 03-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #10
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We also have Progressive RV Insurance coverage and as Bingo said complete replacement for five years (Comprehensive & Collision), emergency expenses, vacation liability, fire department services, etc.. and we pay $405 a year.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
robbsteinke
Established Member

M.O.C. #7326
Thanks, I will check out Progressive, it sounds like it has worked for some of you.

Robb
Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I heard somewhere that homeowners covers rv contents only when the rv is parked at home, not when it's on the road or in a campground? Is that correct? Or maybe the RV rider Rich mentioned picks up the shortage?

Also, when we in this forum and others refer to "fulltimers insurance" it is the liability insurance Ken referenced.

Just as point of reference, I last month renewed our policy. For the Montana plus fulltimers liability plus disappearing deductible and full replacement coverage the first five years of the rv's life and the other bells and whistles, our premium is $705/year. That's with National Interstate. I set the initial value of the Montana at 62,000 for replacement purposes.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Steve,
Although some policies might vary, the standard homeowners insurance policy extends contents coverage worldwide. There is a limitation for contents at a secondary, owner occupied dwelling. I don't think this limitation would apply however even if it did, you still have 10% of your contents coverage at that location. Even so, I still highly recommend an RV policy for contents rather than using your homeowners insurance.

The other limitation from a homeowners policy is for business property away from the residence premises. This only would apply for someone using their RV in business. SIGNIFICANT restrictions apply to business personal property so be careful if you fall into this category. Most RV insurance applications ask this question so be sure to answer accurately.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:16 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ken gives good information..I have mine as a rider under my homeowners policy. It Appears it covers as if it was my home execpt for replacement cost which is listed at the purchase price (sticker) Ken's expertise in the field will cause me to investigate further.
Ken....Can you sell insurance in Ohio.???
Old 03-19-2008, 05:17 AM   #15
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Rich,
No, I am only licensed in California, however if you PM me with questions on your specifics, I will gladly help.

Ken
Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We also use National Interstate for our full timers insurance. We pay a little more than Steve does but only because we increased the contents coverage over the original amount quoted. We are very happy with National Interstate.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #17
jfarmer
Established Member

M.O.C. #7950
I have Progressive and with my last SOB made a claim and was very satisfied
with the company.
jfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, KIen. Good information.

Different companies may have better rates in different states and in different situations, if that makes any sense. For us, National Interstate was best for the Montana and Progressive for the truck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:59 AM   #19
rgreynolds
Established Member

M.O.C. #8217
Send a message via MSN to rgreynolds
We have Good Sam coverage (which is GMAC). Haven't had to use it, so don't know how good. Price is reasonable ($330 a year for our 2005 3295RK).
rgreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:23 AM   #20
msieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7838
Yikes, I just did the online quote thing with Progressive. they quoted me 840 a year and thats with no accidents, tickets, or for that matter I've never had a claim period. How are you all getting quotes for half that?

Mike
msieger is offline   Reply With Quote