Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Progressive Ind EMS

I bought a model EMS-LCHW50 for the RV. I'm going to pick up the 5er today while waiting for the replacement window to arrive and planned on installing a few items before the trip next month.

One of them is the EMS. I've read a few threads, either here or on iRV2.. but had a question for those of you who have installed a permanent hard wired unit in the basement or wherever. Mine will be somewhere in the basement, either behind the removable metal panel that has who knows what behind it.. haven't looked yet. .. or just inside the bay door.. not sure yet.

My question is this. I didn't order the unit with the remote display.. and wondering how necessary this accy is. If I have it in a location that is visible.. ie, just inside the bay rather than behind the protective bay panel, why would I need a display inside the RV? Seems once I have plugged in and can see everything is/not OK, should I not be good to go?

Thanks for added brains

GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
With this unit the display provides readouts for voltage levels, amperage use levels per line, and the error code for a failure. Having access to see the display would be important in determining why the power has not been allowed through to the coach. Loss of ground, phase issues, low/high voltage, etc.... I have the remote unit and have used a number of times to assist in determining an issue with the AC power.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bill,
As Bob stated, I like to be able to track amperage usage especially when on 30 Amp service. Therefore I like the remote display visible inside. In my defense my unit did not have the display on the case so mine came with the remote display. If your unit is easily visible/assessable then you don't need it until you determine it is easier to look at or access the bypass switch on the inside unit instead of opening the compartment in the rain. That is an upgrade you can make later.
Good question. Nice upgrade by Progressive.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
The thing I like the best about the remote display is that I've got mine mounted on the stairwell leading up to the bedroom where all the other controls and readouts are. It's the "official" control panel of our Monte. Once glance and I can see information on my solar system, shore power, generator, and the stock Montana items.

Without the remote in an easily accessible place I'd have to get out of PJ's and look for it!
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Make sure the readout has the bypass switch on it. You will need it if you use a generator anytime and at some campgrounds. The campground I am at now makes their own secondary power to distribute through the campground. We showed up during the week before it got full and my EMS kept intermittently cutting power. Checked it with my meter and it was running high voltage. Had maintenance come out and he told me they use the higher voltage taps on the transformers to prevent low voltage problems when campground is full. Had to shut my EMS down so I can watch TV. Now that the campground is full the voltage is running 5 volts lower and no shutdowns. I do think I need to call progressive industries to inquire about calibration of the voltage values as they are a few volts higher than my meter reads.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Keith, rather than using the bypass (which also disables your protection) go buy a plug at grounded plug (3 prong) at the hardware store. open it up and put a wire jumper between the ground and neutral studs, then reassemble. When you start the genny plug it into the genny (either one if you are using 2 units. That will appear as a grounded system to the Progressive unit.. That way you still have the high/low voltage protection and that is important with the generators as they sometime tend to shut down at the worst moments..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Bill, I've installed tow of these units, and both were behind the fuse/circuit breaker panel because a) there's room there for it and b) there's lots of extra lead in wire so you don't have to buy an extra piece. Here's some pictures of the unit and the remote reader, which I highly recommend.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Well, after all this nice helpful discussion, I received the remote display only to find it won't work with what I bought. argghhh. The fine print says it works with the HW models.. NOT the LCHW models.

Fortunately the supplier is willing to accept a return.

So, props to Mike at CampingConnection.com. They were not only the cheapest.. by far and even included shipping.. but, this customer service puts them at the top of my heap.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Very cool! You'll love the unit, but if you are doing your own install, read the directions and study the pictures carefully. Also be advised that those wires are tough to bend in that cramped little unit! It's neat to watch how the two different legs of 120 in your trailer use different amounts of amps at different times. But then again, I'm easily amused!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Check out Tweetys RV For good price!
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Keith, rather than using the bypass (which also disables your protection) go buy a plug at grounded plug (3 prong) at the hardware store. open it up and put a wire jumper between the ground and neutral studs, then reassemble. When you start the genny plug it into the genny (either one if you are using 2 units. That will appear as a grounded system to the Progressive unit.. That way you still have the high/low voltage protection and that is important with the generators as they sometime tend to shut down at the worst moments..
Thanks for the fix. It only happened with my buddies Honda Inverter Gen I borrowed for one trip before I got my onboard installed.
The campground high voltage shutting down my EMS was investigated by the maintenance man and he said it was high because we were there during the week when the campground was not full and it was cold so no AC's running. On the weekend after the campground filled up the voltage did indeed drop and no problems.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I wouldn't be without mine! I consider it the most important mod I've made to date!!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #13
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Wish I could do this CORattler. But, Progressive said it can't be done with this unit. Here I thought the only diff was one came with and the other without. Made sense to me that I could add the remote later. Bummer.. Only with the HW series

Hey Jay.. my son is in the USAF. He's at Ramstein and has to spend an extra year there cuz they gave him a special assignment.. which will look good on his resume.. but no promotion

He's a staff sgt.. hoping to work his way up to master. He's young and loving it. Half way to his 20 yrs. Thanks for YOUR service.