Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2007, 06:40 AM   #1
KBLH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5867
New Diesel Fuel

Pulling our Monty with our '04 Dodge 3500...any problems out there with fuel injections because of the new low sulfer fuel? I understand the warranty becomes an issue if using it on the trucks from 2005 and lower. Any input???

Thanks,
Larry

KBLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
The ULSD has been in this area for a year and I haven't heard of any issues. I have always used a mixture of 50/50 Power Service and Marvel Mystery Oil (1/2 qt per tank) as additional injector lubrication. I was in the dealer service department today and asked if they had seen any issues because there were reports of fuel gelling in school buses in cold weather. He said they haven't seen any problems and the gelling was a result of an additive used by the school districts in their storage tanks. Last I knew the USLD was approved for use in pre-2006 engines.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
No problems so far with mine - and I don't use additives. There should be no warranty issues associated with the new fuel regardless of year.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
When they make the new fuel, they add something to make up for the loss of lubrication provided in the LSD. The new ULSD is supposed to be good in all diesels, without adding anything to it.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
KBLH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5867
Thanks for all the info. Also talked to a Dodge mechanic who assured us that everthing is ok.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I have not had any problems with mine to date. I do run some injector cleaner once a quarter. So far all is great.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:02 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
No problems at all and I also use no additives. Have many friends with old and new diesels and they report no fuel related problems either.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I run a 2001 Cummings and the new fuel costs me approx 2 mpg due to the decrease in Centane from the old fuel 50's to the low 40s in the new fuel. I run centane boost with lube additives and the old fuel mileage and performance. The extra mpg pays for it, so no loss.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
KBLH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5867
Thank you ALL for the information over the past few days! Larry and I are constantly amazed at the amount of knowledge we can "tap" from all over in such a small amount of time. This is one of the best forums I have ever seen. I can't wait until we can retire in 4 years and really do some extensive traveling and possibly attend some of the rallys. It would be nice to be able to meet some of you guys.

Thanks again,
Kelly & Larry
Old 03-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have no problems with the new fuel, yet. But I've always used Lucas Fuel Treatment which lubricates the injectors. I believe, can't prove, that the ULSD fuel really needs something with it to provide a little lubrication. There is very little lubricity in the ULSD fuel.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I have no problems with the new fuel, yet. But I've always used Lucas Fuel Treatment which lubricates the injectors. I believe, can't prove, that the ULSD fuel really needs something with it to provide a little lubrication. There is very little lubricity in the ULSD fuel.

Orv
Orv...what makes you say there is very little lubricity in the ULSD? The chemical engineers who designed the new stuff claim they include an additive to make up for the lubrication that was provided by the higher sulfer content in the old LSD.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As I have stated before we were using that new diesel fuel in all our school busses at the school I drove for.We had no problems, however we collectively noted a 2mpg decrease in MPG.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932
Orv...what makes you say there is very little lubricity in the ULSD? The chemical engineers who designed the new stuff claim they include an additive to make up for the lubrication that was provided by the higher sulfer content in the old LSD.
That may be what they "claim." I don't happen to believe it. Like we always say, "What works for me may not work for you." This happens to work for me. I've used Lucas fuel treatment from the time my truck was new in '95. Where others have had lubricity problems even with the original LSD, I haven't experienced any. I attribute it to the use of a lubricating additive.

Orv
Old 03-24-2007, 03:11 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As we have also stated before. We have a retired Shell oil exec in our local Lions club who still consults part time and he is a great source for "good information" He says that the new fuel is "required to meet lubricity requirements.Think about it..it would not be good PR for say Shell fuel not to meet requirement and damage zillions of diesel motors.Having said that..there are several schools districts in our home area that, ar least when I left, used the additive. Our busses did for awhile till the diesel guys verified that the fuel was ok. However like chicken soup..it can't hurt to use it..no matter what. Rumors and wifes tales ..or the I heard it from..will always be with us so It won't to feel safer by using a product.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #15
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
I read that the new fuel has a additive added but it is added at the end of the pipe line. so if the people at the end don't add it right then what?. It is not added before it shipped thru pipe line because it would contaminate the jet fuel that goes thru those same pipe lines. that was the reason they stated it was to be added at the retail end. OH well I use additive to get the mileage back and to also get my quiet motor back.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #16
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Spoke several months ago with our local BP station owner -- said his company held numerous briefings where all told him that the truck driver delivering the fuel was responsible for ensuring that the additive was added while he was loading his trailer at the bulk plant. Then there is supposed to be some sample taken before they leave the bulk plant to ensure it was done however tests are sent out and take 2 or 3 days to come back. Meanwhile you and I are filling our tanks with that fuel that may (or may not) have sufficient additive. Didn't make me none too comfortable - then he said that this wasn't unique to diesel; same story on various 'special additives' in gasoline as well. Been that way for years and years and no problems so he felt comfortable with it.

No, as some others have said, what is good for me may not be good for (to) you -- I add additive to my fuel when I get it; just makes me feel better. Have never seen anyone complain that they had a breakdown because of too much additive.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I also run additive in my fuel. I lost almost 3 mpg when ULSD fuel came out. I got my 3 mpg plus a little more back with the additive. Any failure that is going to happen will probably not surface for some time. The problem is; nobody will know what the LONGTERM EFFECT is on our current motors until the fuel has been out for more than a year or two. I run the additive for my peace of mind.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #18
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Montana Sky, what additive are you using? I keep track of each tank of fuel and have noticed a 1-3 mpg difference in various tanks of fuel. Anything that will increase our mpg would be greatly appreciated.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #19
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
My husband and I use Lucas Fuel treatment, we haven't really noticed any difference. I guess time will tell.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:16 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Debbie Asher

My husband and I use Lucas Fuel treatment, we haven't really noticed any difference. I guess time will tell.
Must be why I haven't noticed any change in mpg either, since I also use the Lucas Fuel Treatment.

Orv