Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
fulltiming dogs

I am living full time in my 2004 3670RL and I am now thinking about getting a dog. I am thinking about getting a miniature australian shepherd puppy. Does anybody have any experience with this breed or do you recommend any other breeds?

tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
Don't know about that breed but we have a Shih Tzu (maybe mixed with something else) that loves to travel. We got him at a shelter and he has been the most intelligent, easily trained dog the we have ever had.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
We've got two Golden Retrievers. (Both rescues.) Great travelers. They have us trained very well!

Read up on that breed before you purchase it. I've seen people adopt Golden Retrievers, only to whine about the fact that they shed golden hair!

But, if you get a pup, chances are it will adapt to the lifestyle.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
I vote with hubby Gyro. You want to read up. I think they are very active dogs and you need to be ready for that. Ours are almost desperate to be with us, so they stay indoors alot, even tho they are large. We make sure to walk in the morning (and lots of quick potty breaks)and in the afternoon we try to find an off leash place, here we have a dog park right in the campground, or a ball field that's fenced or another safe place. If we are to stay in one place for awhile as we have here, we look for the campgrounds that have off leash areas. Be ready for vets that change. We carry all the dogs records, just like we keep all of our health records up to date. Go for it! They are the some best friends you will ever have.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
We are very experienced with Australian Shepherds - we have two currently and had one that passed away several years ago.

Some are very active and some are layed back. We have one of each. All ours are rescued and are full size. And we have one who is a mix - we think Aussie, Chow and Rottwieler - she is very pretty and smart.

The Aussies are VERY smart and love to have a job to do - they are very trainable - buy a small book on the breed it will help you in your decision.

If you want to talk to us about the breed feel free to contact us.

We love them.

Laura & Joe
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Try this site for more info. www.dog-breeds.net

We did a lot of research for ours knowing we would be on the road for aprox. 5 Months a year.
We looked at issues like, shedding, Med. problems, routine maintainance (Clipping), etc.
Our final choice was a Cairn, but we are partial to the terrier breeds.

I'm sure there's a perfect Dog out there just waiting for you to come along.

Wish you happy hunting.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have two chihuahuas and a mutt that travel with us. They all love to travel and have adapted to living in the Monty very well. However, "Bigdog", the mutt is claustrophobic and can't stay inside without at least one of us with him. So he has to stay with our son or daughter while we are in Florida.

Gary and Karen
SFC USAR Ret.
MOC (4049)
2006 2950RK
2005 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison SB
16K Pull rite Super Glide
Prodigy brake controller

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did, so throw off the bow lines, sail away from safe harbor and catch the trade winds in your sails." Mark Twain
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
We have been full-timing for about 2 weeks now. The dogs and the cat have transitioned beautifully. The cat has picked out her favorite perch and it only took the dogs a few days to get into a new routine. It is a small, tight space with the five of us, but its home!
I say go for it. If you get a puppy, it will be easy to train it to RV living. Our dogs and cat are our kids and we couldn't be without them.

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL

txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote