Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
oldgeezor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12003
CSA Approved ? US purchased RV

For you Canadian owners of US purchased RV's, is there a sticker on the trailer that say's CSA Approved?

I just went to an RV shop to discuss a potential brake issue and as we were talking he heard me say this was purchased in the US. He then asked me if it was CSA approved with an orange sticker. I didn't know what he was talking about because I had all the cross boarder documents in order and do have a RIV sticker.

He said some RV shops and even RV parks in Canada may deny service if it doesn't have this sticker. He said it would be a few hundred dollars for inspections for wiring and plumbing. I am wondering if this is just a cash grab or a real requirement.

I can't see KEYSTONE building trailers with specific requirements for Canada.

Any thoughts from Canadian RV'ers?

oldgeezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow, for this Texan, the first thing I thought of was the Confederate States of America and I haven't lived in the south for over 40 years. I immediately pictured a man in a gray woolen uniform and a long rifle standing at the Monty door holding it open and declaring, "Yep, I shorely think, dis ole rig'll do me jes fine!".

But after thinking about it for a while, it's probably the CSA (Canadian Standards Association). I believe the CSA inspection and labeling occurs at RV dealers, or if purchased in the U.S. must be inspected and stickered prior to being allowed to be used by a Canadian owner. I don't think Keystone does anything special at the factory, but if something is missing, modified or has a problem it gets taken care of before the sticker can be applied.

I would be curious what is the difference between the CSA and what the DOT requires. (We know they don't cover tires very well except they must be round, have some tread and be stamped with arbitrary(?) ratings on the sidewall.)
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldgeezor

For you Canadian owners of US purchased RV's, is there a sticker on the trailer that say's CSA Approved?

I just went to an RV shop to discuss a potential brake issue and as we were talking he heard me say this was purchased in the US. He then asked me if it was CSA approved with an orange sticker. I didn't know what he was talking about because I had all the cross boarder documents in order and do have a RIV sticker.

He said some RV shops and even RV parks in Canada may deny service if it doesn't have this sticker. He said it would be a few hundred dollars for inspections for wiring and plumbing. I am wondering if this is just a cash grab or a real requirement.

I can't see KEYSTONE building trailers with specific requirements for Canada.

Any thoughts from Canadian RV'ers?
I bought my Montana in the USA and imported it into Canada. All RV's made today in the US are CSA certified and stickered accordingly. The sticker is not orange but silver and black to match the RVIA sticker.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes they do. We have seen Montanas on the line with the Maple Leaf on them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This has been a very interesting post in getting me thinking (and that's not necessarily good) about driving in other countries.

I have heard of the other CSA sticker that can be put on a rig for Canada but didn't know the color. The sticker just ensures that the rig met the CSA regulations when transferred for use in Canada and I thought this was mostly about weight ratings and height limits.

Is there another sticker in Canada that is predominantly orange that is getting mixed into things? I don't recall any country specific things that require plumbing or electrical modifications.

For example, a Japanese vehicle has the sideview mirrors more towards the front of the vehicle to minimize blindspots where elsewhere (like the U.S.) the sideview mirrors are closer to the driver (or passenger) for easier adjustments, but there's no plumbing involved. Electrical might be involved if the mirror are remote adjustable or include defrosters.

I don't plan to drive my rig in Japan, but I've read to expect some scrutiny going into Canada mostly about weapons, pets and RV weight and size measurements. As for going into Mexico that could be a different story if I ever decide to RV down there. But I've heard of MOCers venturing south but nothing about regulations or stickers other than what's already on the vehicles or towables (like current registration and insurance that matches the items).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Contact the Registar of Imported Vehicles, as I assume they should know of everything that is required. Their website is RIV.ca.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
oldgeezor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12003
I received this from Keystone this afternnon. I think I opened up a can of worms!!

Quote:
quote:. The units that are CSA approved have different gauge wiring, it has thicker wire sheathing and different appliances. If the unit is not ordered that way from our company and your province or dealer requires the certification, you can pay to have an inspection done locally for a fee.

The requirements for inspection are set forth by the Standards Council of Canada. I would contact this group for more information on what is required where you reside.

Regards,

Robyne Hakes
RVIA Certified Technician
Keystone Customer Relations
866-425-4369
oldgeezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:55 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldgeezor

I received this from Keystone this afternnon. I think I opened up a can of worms!!

Quote:
quote:. The units that are CSA approved have different gauge wiring, it has thicker wire sheathing and different appliances. If the unit is not ordered that way from our company and your province or dealer requires the certification, you can pay to have an inspection done locally for a fee.

The requirements for inspection are set forth by the Standards Council of Canada. I would contact this group for more information on what is required where you reside.

Regards,

Robyne Hakes
RVIA Certified Technician
Keystone Customer Relations
866-425-4369
I would assume that the units we see on the assembly line with the Maple Leaf on them are those ordered to the VSA requirements.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
I believe the US equivalent of CSA is URL(??). They are the same. If you have one it is good for the other (make sense?) Looks like a money grab again by someone trying to scare you into spending more money. I have imported 3 new rv's (2 of them Montanas) into Canada over the last 12 years and have never had a problem with inspections through the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When we entered Canada and traveled through, where the RV was manufactured was never an issue. Maybe it is for Canadians who purchase in the U.S.A. and import into Canada.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote