Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
D Lefevre
Established Member

M.O.C. #10268
Outside Front Light under bedroom

Light under the overhang has been coming on when in storage. Why would this light come on without anyone in the trailer. This has happened twice. Can anyone explain what is going on. I can not get it to come on with the switch on the light. Is this light connected with one of the switches inside, I switched the switches inside the first time this happened and it went off, but none of the switches were turned on.

D Lefevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
If the light will not come on when you cycle it off and on, I would suspect a defective switch. I had to replace mine this summer. I put the switch in myself and the light was on all the time. I saw that the 'silver-colored reflector' was making contact with one of the wire connections. I turned it around so they would not touch the metallic reflector and all is fine now. You may have a similar problem?
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had to replace my switch too. The best I could do is I found a very close-in-size 12v switch at Radio Shack but the dimensions were a little different. A little filing on the edges of the lamp housing and some caulking on the sides that were too short and the switch is good to go. The switch replacement was much better for sure. It has a nice rocker action and a much more positive sound when turning on and off. I'm very happy with it.

If the switch is faulty it could easily come back on with any kind of movement even though you think you turned it off. The problem with my switch is that the rocker would not make contact and it would either not stay on or eventually turn on. It sounds like you have the opposite problem.

Nevertheless, best of luck finding a replacement switch or you'll be replacing the whole lamp assembly. These lamp assemblies can easily be found at RV or Auto parts stores but will cost you more than just a switch. However replacing the switch is more complicated since you have to take more things apart and it might take more work to put it together like what I went through. Don't forget to disconnect the ground to the battery and not be connected to shore power to prevent shock.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The switch on mine is on the light so anybody can walk up and turn it on. Your switch may be OK.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

I can't get mine to turn on with the switch. Too much traveling in the rain and wet conditions, I imagine.

One day I popped the switch out to check with a VOM...switch is bad.

Haven't fixed it yet.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Same thing here..............
Just something else to repair.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
You can replace the switch yourself. They have gone bad prematurely on some models.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
I had to replace the switch on that light also. I unhook the battery when the unit is in storage. I hook it back up when we get ready for a trip. No chance of this happening or something worse. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

You can replace the switch yourself. They have gone bad prematurely on some models.
Well, considering where it is located, it really should have come with a weather-proof switch to begin with.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote