Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Overnight near Cincinnati, Ohio May 19-20?

All,
As you may know we are in Australia but will be on R&R in May with truck and trailer. We will be returning to Western NY from Alabama and need a place to overnight on May 19th along I71 near Cincinnati, Ohio. That will be our 500 mile mark for the day. I guess staying North of town is better for a Friday departure but around the Kentucky boarder is our 500 mile mark.

Anyone have a camp ground they recommend that is close to I71, easy access and possibly a pull through site?

Thanks and Guday Mate,

John and Ann

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
I almost stayed here http://www.ohiolands.com/Punderson/, heard nothing but positive feedback, but our trainer changed horse shows last minute so I had to cancel. I don't know how close to I71 it is, but worth looking at their site anyways.

Good Luck with your search.

This might help too, was also on their site http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/default.htm
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:13 AM   #3
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
If you'll be coming from South I 71...there's a huge rest area.just before the outerbelt.If you prefer a campground, there's a KOA....but I'm not sure of the name.It's a long drive from the South outerbelt to North I 71.. to the 1st campground near Kings Island (Mason,Ohio).Would probably add 40 miles to your 500.PL
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Camper,
Thanks for the info. That is about the same as I found through research. One person on another web stated the trip around Cincinnati would not be to bad in the morning as long as I stayed on the belt way and not through town.
I did not think of sleeping at the rest stop. I remember it is not allowed in most places.
Tanks again,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
John

Cincinnati, is like any other big town, if you can hit it before or after rush hour it is better to do so. That said, we have NEVER used the beltway, it adds so many miles. We have blasted through Cincy at various times of the day, right through the center of town, and (using 75 mind you, NOT, 71) have really never had a problem. We just take our time, try to go with the flo, but not feel pushed down the road.

Again, note, we were going north and south, I 75 to Michigan or points south. We always used to stop at a place south of Covington KY, but the last time through there with the big Montana, instead of the 30 foot TT, we had trouble getting into the sites. We were very worried about the roof and the pine trees. This was a KOA, by the way. They may have trimmed the greenery back by now, but seeing that we have not been back, I cannot recommend it.

Enjoy your RR, John,

Cheers, Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Al and Carol,
Speaking of going places....... While at Organ Pipe Nat. Monument we met someone you folks know. A couple from Manitoba. They said they'd met you folks last year in Texas. Wilbur said to say hello. Said something about you and he getting some cannisters to bolt on the trailer to hold a ladder. I'm sure you will remember them.

They were staying in the Monument CG just a couple of rows over from us. Caught them just as they were leaving so we didn't get to talk much. They'd spent a month down in Puerto Penasco where we are now. They were on their way to Yuma for a while. They still have not gotten onto the MOC but were all pleasantly surprised when we started talking and realized we each knew you folks. So it is a very small world after all.

Consider this long message a "Hello" from Wilbur and partner from Manitoba. Sorry I didn't get Mrs. name.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:09 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
HamRad,

Mrs. Wilbur is a Karen.

Wowie, that is a small world, we were just talking about them the other day wondering where they were this year. They had said they might go to Arizona this year.

They are great people, and helped us organize a small Montana get together at Victoria Palms last year. We got the "white house" room, had finger foods (pot luck style) and 10 couples came. We told them about MOC and the Rally that was being planned for September 2004. At least one of those couples did in fact attend the Rally!

Thanks Dennis for passing on the HI. I hope you told them HI back for us!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:36 AM   #8
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
Go to www.ohiocamper.com for a list of camp grounds in the area you are looking for.
sectres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:15 AM   #9
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
You;ll have no trouble getting in the rest area I mentioned. Go where the trucks & trailers are directed to park...they even have rest rooms in that area.Any way you go, there are hills, but not a problem.When you hit I 71 north past the outerbelt, it turns flat as a pancake.Have a safe trip.PL
http://www.roadnotes.com/interstate/oh.htm
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:03 PM   #10
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
HamRad - we went to Puerto Penasco last year in March and enjoyed it - wanted to go this yr but had heard they advised against travel down. Did you all have any trouble or notice any difference going down? We have opted for Corpus in mid April.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:12 PM   #11
Ironman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1703
Send a message via AIM to Ironman Send a message via Yahoo to Ironman
There is a Kings Island Campground about 1/2 mile off I-71 with easy access. Exit #25 -phone # 1-800-832-1133.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:04 AM   #12
Sharon Williamson
Established Member

M.O.C. #2135
Hi,

Punderson State Park is in NE Ohio, not close to Kentucky.
Sharon Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:15 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Welcome to another "David Williamson".
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote