Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Time for the "Maiden Voyage"!!

We are leaving Monday on our first family trip in our new Monty!
Heading to Pismo Beach Coast Village for 4 days.
I've been reviewing the generic Keystone Owner's manual and looking through the various brochures, manuals etc. for the different devices on the Monty. Sure wish they would provide a model specific owner's manual though! If I buy a new Corvette, I wouldn't be too happy to receive a "GM Owner's Manual" that covered every make and model without specific info for MY car...
I am so appreciative of all the help info on this forum, I feel somewhat prepared for our first outing (not really counting my trip home from the dealer although it did help the learning curve I guess).
Any tips or sage advice from all you experienced campers would be appreciated though. Reminders, things you've learned the "hard way", things to avoid, things to double check etc.
I want to tap into that vast storehouse of knowledge to help avoid the "bonehead factor" if possible!
Not stressing about it...just like to be prepared as best I can.
Thanks!

Old 04-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Have a great trip! Agree with you on the generic owner's manual.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This is my second Montana. Nothing specific is forthcoming. The owner's forum is your best bet for good info...most of the time. My counsel is to make a sequential check list for setting up and taking down you rig. Sequence is everything. Little things are of great importance, like chocking your wheels before you unhook from your truck or making sure your tailgate is down before driving your truck away. Thinking it through from start to finish and writing the steps down will keep you from "bone heading it".

If check lists are good enough for pilots and astronauts (wife retired from NASA), they are good enough for RVers. After over 5 years of full timing, we still go over the list, especially after staying in one spot for an extended period.

Be sure to post about your experience and what you learned. It will help other newbies.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Ya, it would be very helpful (especially for the noobs out there, like ME) to have a model specific manual that shows diagrams, pictures, how things work etc.
Seems like a cost cutting measure to have one generic manual covering so many different models.
One more reason why MOC is such a blessing!

Stiles...thanks for the reminder re: check lists. I have a couple I printed up that others have developed which I will be using and modifying for my own use.
I will always try to post my experiences and what I learned as I go to help add to the knowledge data bank!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Just take a Laptop with you so that if you have any problems, you can get on MOC and see what others have done to correct the situation...Works for me..JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by deadeye

Just take a Laptop with you so that if you have any problems, you can get on MOC and see what others have done to correct the situation...Works for me..JB
Great reminder! Ya, I will take it and my mobile hotspot for internet access. Might come in handy if I need to send out an SOS!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

The best manual you have is right here at your finger tips! There is so much information available, everything from flushing your tanks to major modifications and improvements. If you have trouble finding anything on a search feel free to simply ask whatever questions you may have and someone with an expertise in that area will probably respond to your question fairly soon.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks Bill, yes I have used the search feature extensively and spent many hours (too many according to DW ) reading posts on a variety of subjects. You're right, this forum is the best source of info available.
Who knows, maybe one day I too will be an "expert"!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Kingdaddy, I try and not rush myself. I'll do a good walk around. Have extra fuse's and battery. Those kinda things. Enjoy.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I agree, being in a hurry is probably one of the worst things you could do...sure to forget something that way!
Taking your time, walk around, check lists, having an extra set of eyes to catch something...all good ideas!
HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!