Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Verizon Aircard Help!

We had our Hughes.net dish blow over yesterday in the wind, and the .74 reflector dish is so bent that there is no way it can be repaired. In trying to get an immediate replacement, the model we have (Raven) is out of production, so at this point we have a very expensive boat-anchor. I couldn’t even find a replacement on eBay.

We want to go with the Verizon aircards and see from many previous posts that several of you are using a router setup.

We have two new laptop computers that we would like to plug the aircard into a router and both access the same network. We would also like to be able to plug the same card into either of the computers while traveling down the road.

Today is Saturday, and we were trying to get on the road by Monday, so we need to get this done today if possible.

Can someone help me with model numbers for the card, and the router that you feel would be best?

Thank you for your help.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Robbie, I don't know if it's possible to do this on one day. We are doing what you want to do.

Online, go to www.3gstore.com . They seem to have the best prices. I'd recommend you request to talk to Alex. He posts here as evdoalex and is the one we worked with. We have one aircard and one router, a 3watt booster and the "extermal" antenna. That's really just a shortcord antenna you can move around. Six foot or so cord. We're very pleased about it.

there are frequently new, updated products available. The newer ones are 'express cards' that take a smaller slot than the standard laptop pcmcia slot. We got an adapter so the express card fits in pcmcia. Express card is faster than the aircard (pcmcia).

If you have a Verizon store around you may be able to buy the card and adapter but do not mention the router. They do not like to know about you using a router to allow more than one computer at a time on the internet through the card. 3gstore can even do all the paperwork to set up the verizon account or add to an existing verizon account.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:05 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Robbie, I just got a air card from Verizon a couple of weeks ago. They advertise it free with a 2/yr contract. I do not know about connecting it to a router. The Verizon store is on 4th street in Santa Rosa. I would tell you the model number but can't see it as we have not had power since 6:00 AM yesterday.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are the same as Steve and others,, 3Gstore will save you money and they have excellent Tech support.. verizon does not wnat to hear about routers..they sell air cards.They will try to sell you 2 air cards. If you but from 3gstore you can use their excellent tech support. I am known there as Richard...not Reeechard. Alex is also a great help.. However sounds like you are in a emergency situation so none of this may help/
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We also purchased out setup through 3gstore, while it was known as Booster Antenna. They are very helpful and can probably overnight a package to you. Then, just plug and play.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We have to purchase a card today from Verizon since we are leaving Santa Rosa on Monday. Purchasing the router from 3g can wait until Monday and then be shipped south where we can pick it up.

The latest and greatest card is the V740 Express card?? which needs an adapter to fit in my PMCIA slot.

Is there a router that this new card can fit into?...or do you just take the adapter off?....or what? I would hate to buy the wrong card.

Also, does anyone know if we can sign up for a 1 yr. contract?

Doug, We still have electricity and our batteries are full, if you need to borrow my generator or flashligts........Thanks for the directions.

Rich, thanks for the info.

Judy, we'll look into the 3G once we get the immediate problem solved and will probably purchase the boosters/antennas and whatever else we need from them because of yours and others recommendations.
Thank you everyone.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #7
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Robbie we have the V740 express card and adapter. I use the card in my laptop and David needs the adapter for his. We use the adapter in the router. It comes off easily.

Good luck - we love ours!

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Jo-Anna,

Which router/model do you have?..and where did you buy it? Is the V740 adapter for the newer computer or the older one?

Thanks,

PS.....thinkin' 'bout gettn' rid of the creepy spider just for you!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve,

Oops.....Sorry, didn't mean to leave you out.

Thank you for your help!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #10
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
the V740 is not 'latest and greatest'... probably just at that store. i hate when stores sell what they have as being the best option, just cuz thats what they have.

besides, i don't think you want an expresscard if the device is going to spend the majority of its time on the router, and not in slot on your laptop.

USB727 would be the way to go, since it works well with CTR350 router, and of course works with anything that has a USB port. USB727 is cheaper, just as fast, and would not need an adapter to be used with the router. no sense wasting money.

i'm not comfortable quoting any prices on a thread, for fear of being banned.

i realize you are under time constraints but if you have an address we can deliver to, you could have it all tuesday. you're only losing a day or two over making a rushed purchase from people who are less than experts.
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The V740 is what we have and was the latest and greatest when we bought it from evdoalex. It works both in the router and in the laptop. Mine without the adapter, Vicki's laptop with the adapter.

Alex, I was supposed to get a $25 credit from Verizon when someone bought from you and gave my name as the referring person. I had the email about that but I think it got lost when that laptop died a violent crashing death. Anyhow, I never got the credit.

Awhile back I called Verizon on another topic related to my account (my former employer offers a monthly discount). I mentioned using a router and after a brief silence I was told rather tersely that they do not authorize use of a router with their service. I suppose that's because it would allow more throughput and thus more bandwidth usage. So don't even mention router to them. The card just fits into the router instead of the laptop and then you connect laptop to router, wirelessly. Your own wifi system.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We have the Verizon air card and it works great. We also have the KR-1 router so we can use our desktop and laptop to share the connection (at home). I believe that you should be able to plug the air card into one of the laptops and set it up to share the connection by wireless to the the other machine so you could bypass purchasing a router.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Alex,

Unfortunately, I didn't get your reply until after purchasing the V740. It was $130 less $50 rebate. Not a bad price, connection was real easy.

I will contact you next week after we get further south for a router and antenna boost.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

We are back in business!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #14
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Robbie,

Glad you are up and running again - see you n Q!

Jo-Anna

PS: actually the spider was kind of cute (but creepy)
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good to hear, Robbie! We've been very happy with the V740. We have the pyramid router, by Top Global. It was the latest at the time. There may be something better by now. The KR-1 is a good router but I was told by 3gstore it is not a good choice for the V740.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robbie, we have the same units as Steve Reigle, luv em. Will be getting an antenna booster soon as many 1000 trails are in the boonies. BTW got me a Honda 2000, ready to rock and roll, well a little at a time anyway....See you in Q in 13 days......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:49 AM   #17
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Good to hear, Robbie! We've been very happy with the V740. We have the pyramid router, by Top Global. It was the latest at the time. There may be something better by now.
steve's right, there is better now. best choice for V740 now is the cradlepoint ctr350, but it will need a usb-to-expresscard adapter, as shown in this pic:

Old 01-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #18
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Alex, does the USB 727 work well with the Cradlepoint router? I am still using the KR1 but would like to know for the future.. Also, what booster do you use with it?

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #19
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Alex, does the USB 727 work well with the Cradlepoint router? I am still using the KR1 but would like to know for the future.
yes, the USB727 works great with CTR350. see below:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmollAlso, what booster do you use with it?
hmm. OK. now i'm a bit confused. checking records i think you have a USB720, right?
and didn't you got an omni/trucker from us last month for the usb720?

do you now want a booster antenna for it? (the booster is the indoor/portable)
Old 01-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What's that screen on the card in the picture?