Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
F350 Valve Extension Install Issues

I just came from Les Schwab tire store where I had an appt for tire rotation and ckecks on our 2011 F350 Dually. I also had them order and wanted installed a set of braided SS valve extensions. When I ordered them they tried to talk me out of them as they said "They all leak and you will have a flat from them, count on it." I asked if they ment they slow leaked, which they said they do. Knowing I would be checking air pressure daily I had them ordered to install.

In the shop this morning I was told that there was no place to mount the holders onto the plastic lug cover. They told me they would have to drill holes through the plastic cover and mount the valve holders which were an L shaped bracket to the plastic cover with a rivet gun. They could not guarantee that the plastic cover would drill properly without splitting it.

I had them hold off until I could get more info. Anyone run into this issue? Is it the type of mounting system unique to that extension kit? I'm about to drive 4300 miles towing the DWs car and would really like the comfort of access to the inside wheels without having to stop somewhere in Canada, unhooking the car trailer and getting someone else to go with plan B.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robert, I believe I had the same set on my Chevy. They did leak and my solution was wrapping the tires valves with teflon plumbers tape two rounds, put them on pretty tight and no problems since then. I was able to mount them on my rims and not anything plastic. Good luck with the install...

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I had an issue with finding the correct stems for my wheels too. I went to a shop that does a lot of big trucks and they cut down some of the ones they use on big trucks. They are straight stems that fit through the wheel. I have had no issues with them.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I was told by the Ford dealer here in town (not the one that I purchased from) that they do not usually do tire rotations on Duallys, and that if they did they would have to remove and remount each tire and the cost would be more that the benefit. So how much was Les Schwab going to charge for a tire rotation on your dually? You must be out west if you are going to a Les Schwab. If the price is right I will go to them too, we have one located right accross the street from the Ford dealer here in town.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Fire5er,

The manual says if you do rotate to rotate in pairs. The manager at the Les Schwab center walked me into the bay and pointed out the wear on the tires. I have 13K on the rig and tires now. The fronts had visable wear on the outside of the tread face, you could see the wear. The rears not so much. He says the passanger side set of rear wheels gets the most torque and thus they tend to wear down a little bit quicker than the other side. He suggested I move the driver side set to the front and split the old fronts on the inside of each dual set. I did so. Yes, they had to dismount and remount. Total cost $72.00.

I'm going back out to discuss the placement of the valve extension holders with him next week. One option might be to use some heavy duty a/b epoxy and affix the metal L shaped valve holders to the plastic lug cover rather than drilling and riveting. He is going to make some inquiries as to solutions that other managers in the system may have come up with. SS braided valve extension set from them was $55.00. I haven't bought them yet until we figure out a solution that keeps them in place on the plastic lug nut cover.
troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had valve extensions on both of our Ford duallies and have not had a leaking problem.Got the straight extensions at walmart.Way to expensive to rotate tires on a dully. 48 K on the duallies and the wear is nearly even.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
troutchasers,
Thanks for the info.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote