Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Im confused

Ok I have read the post about the vent under the steps being a return for the Heater, But our Heater in in the Kitchen under the stove When I take the grill off and look inside all I see is the wall to the basement compartment and the piping for the toilet and the ducting for the bedroom heater. So my question is How can it be a return?

K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
dewfourmt

M.O.C. #8383
The cool air enters the top and sides of the top of the furnace and does not use any duct or hose.(This is the basic answer)
I have a 2006 mod 3400RL so yours may be different, but concept is the same.
dewfourmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:19 AM   #3
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
I don't think your return is under the steps, it is the grate under your range. We Have a 327 RLT and the heater is under the range as is yours, the wood grate is the return air passage.
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Do not recall who, but a couple of our members have posted results of their handy work in adding filters to their furnace intakes. Given that these air intakes do what their name implies, I would think that the manufacturer would have some kind of filter to take care of the dust, hair, etc that will make its way through the vent. On our SOB TT our intake was also under the stove...I would periodically take the grate off and vacuum the area as best as I could. The way the system now comes from Keystone just does not make any sense to me, so I guess I am also confused.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I guess the point is that if a manufacturer went through the trouble of putting a grated cover in the rig somewhere then it's best not to impede the airflow (as miniscule as it might seem). If the cover has no holes it is not a return. Ours happens to be the first step face to the bedroom, but they can be lots of places depending on the floor plan, where the furnace is located, even where the thermostat is located. I don't know all the possibilities except that I should not cover up the venting unless I knew for sure.

For example, some owners know for sure the grated cover is for the furnace and must leave it uncovered, unless it's summertime and you know you won't be using the furnace and you want to prevent losing any cooling they will put a cover over it.

A return only provides a way for circulated air to be returned to the device causing the circulation, like a furnace or an air conditioner. It blows (heated or cooled) air into an area (our rigs), then the air being pushed needs a place to go and it will tend to go to the return grating and back to the device (furnace or air conditioner). The better the insulation, then the more important it is to keep the respective "return" clear of obstruction. For a furnace the return is near the floor so that cooler air is returned to the furnace to get heated and for an Air Conditioner, the return is typically at the A/C unit (keep those filters clean) so that warmer air is returned to the units and therefore a different "return" method.

I had a setup like what grumpys259rkd describes in another RV and behind it was pipes, conduits, wiring and all kinds of interesting stuff, but the gap was still used as the return to the furnace. A return is pretty much some holes that allows the furnace to draw air from inside the RV to reheat and force back into the coach. You certainly don't want outside air since furnaces and A/Cs should be recirculating the air in the RV. ONLY exhaust from the devices gets expelled to the exterior.

There you have it. Heating and Air 101. I learned all this some time ago from all kinds of folks like Gas company workers, Heating and Air people and Ozz!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grumpys295rkd

Ok I have read the post about the vent under the steps being a return for the Heater, But our Heater in in the Kitchen under the stove When I take the grill off and look inside all I see is the wall to the basement compartment and the piping for the toilet and the ducting for the bedroom heater. So my question is How can it be a return?
The 3400Rl is under the steps, I put a filter there because I wanted to filter the air coming back to us from the vents. Sue has asthma, and I just like to breathe clean dust free air. This is my 'take' on it, the filter does not impede the airflow to any degree.
I figure the Lawyers had something to do with no filter. Many people would not change them if there were one in the slot, then the system would overheat, maybe cause some sort of damage. No filter; no law suits.. probably that simple. I think if you want one, you can figure how to put one in where the air returns to the furnace, and suffer no complications...if you change the filter.

Here's why:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13...eat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13...eat=directlink
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ozz I cleaned my AC this summer and my squirrel cage and coils were dusty like that one I cleaned it also. I think that is why there is no filter On the furnace they don't think you need one because there is no coil in the heater just a fan. I think the filter is a good idea. JMHO
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
So what purpose does the vent serve under the stairs other than letting cold air in from the basement?
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grumpys295rkd

So what purpose does the vent serve under the stairs other than letting cold air in from the basement?
It is probably there so warm air will migrate into it, or circulate around in there to keep stuff warm.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I made that under stair grate into a door which swings open. We keep shoes inside there. The area is plenty large to supply enough air to the furnace or whatever it services. We've run the furnace down to 5 degrees below F and many nights in the teens and single digits and it works fine. I wouldn't want to pack too much into that area but two pair of shoes have not been a problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote