Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
Grrowlerr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6887
Slide Topper Issues

Ok, so I decided, after reading the pros and cons of slide toppers, to buy some and have them installed. We went through the dealer, which is a Camping World. Today when we went to pick it up, the front slide would not come out, the bottom would come out but the topper was holding the top of the slide. After quite a bit of discussion with the tech, he said that because we got the metal cover to protect the awning, they had to use a different mounting for the front slide because if they used the normal mounting, it left part of the awning exposed when rolled in and this other mounting was not allowing the awning to unroll, so the only solution is to go back the original mounting and have part of the awning exposed. This whole thing doesn;t make sense because the back slide has no problem. We paid quite a bit extra to have the metal cover and if it is not really protecting it, what is the point? Anyway, just wanted to see if anybody else had similiar issues. Also, the topper in front slants toward the trailer, instead of away from the trailer, they told us this was normal. The manager of Camping World was not very friendly and not overly helpful. Anyway, if anybody has had experience with toppers, I would like to get your opinion, any pictures would help too!

Grrowlerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
It sounds to me like the awning is wound to tight. There is nothing special about that slide.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I don't have these so I'm no expert - but based on your description, wouldn't it seem that if they mounted the rail on the wall too low, the metal cover has more to wrap around than it should have to, leaving some exposed?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Our kitchen slide hung up and busted the anti billowing device. The top stayed closed and the bottom came out then the top let loose. I do not have the mental cover but feel the slide just hung up. In a year this is the first time we have had trouble with it an I am going to keep an eye on it.
I agree with you if one works then the other should too.
Good luck and please keep us advised.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
If it slops toward the camper it is mounted wrong. It should be the same height or higher so as the water would run off. Where is this Camping World at so we will not to go there. They do not keep the top of the slide from coming out if installed correct. The bad thing now is what are they going to do about the holes that they put in that are not correct. Good luck with this. You might also call the manufacture of the toppers and see what they have to say.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
What topper manufacturer did you purchase? There are specific instructions on installation and height for mounting the slide rail... Something is not right here.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:24 AM   #7
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
Go back to Camping World and make them do it over. They guarantee their installations. If you get the run around from the store manager find out who the district manager is and talk to him...everybody has a boss and CW has toll free phone numbers!

Bottom line is you paid for installation of an item and you're not happy with the service. You shouldn't have to come to an internet forum for help.

tc
Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had mine installed at CW in Burlington, WA and they work fine, tilt down, and roll up perfectly. I think you got a bum install and they should redo them. Don't let them get away with shoddy install and feeding you a line of bull. I have the A & E slide toppers on all four slides. I also have the metal caps protecting them when they are in.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I know this is not about the topper you bought, but all toppers have anti bellowing locks. They hold the topper secure when traveling so they don't unravel. Ours on our new Motorhome (used to have a Montana) came unraveled going down the road and was banging on the roof. No damage was done but the tech said the toppers should have locks and mine was missing on that slide. Also, all of the locks should be secured with two screws. Mine only had one in each topper. You all might want to check the locks on your toppers and see if they are secured with two screws. Their made of pot metal and the strain of the wind can break them if not secured properly. Have a nice day.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree they screwed up. If properly installed they should not slope towards the rig. We don't have the metal covers but I agree they should not affect rolling up of the topper. The spring sounds like it is too tight. Ours have never caused a problem of any kind.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
Grrowlerr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6887
If anybody has pictures of their slide toppers in and out, I would really like to see them. I am planning on heading back to the dealer this week and the more ammunition I have, the better. I have been communicating with Dometic and am pretty much hearing the same thing from them, that something is not right. They went so far as to say that if we are not satisfied they will find another dealer in the area for us.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Grrowlerr, This work?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #13
Grrowlerr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6887
That will help, nice to see that the slide toppers angle out, hopefully I can get them installed correctly. Thanks noneck!
Old 03-26-2008, 03:26 AM   #14
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Had some people from the awning and sun shade company at the Don Wise flea market down in the RGV in TX., working on shades, awnings, and slide covers here in the park. I had him over to look at my large slide cover by carefree. This thing has always had a sag. He adjusted it the best he could and cut some slots on the end of the roller to help with adjustment. He said you could only adjust so tight or it would not roll out. He also said the orignal installer did not mount the holding bracket on the trailer high enough to prevent cover sag and water build up. It also helps with the cover roll up.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:09 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Here are a couple more pics if they help, the pics are large so I have posted the direct links:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...11_1156big.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...00_0078big.jpg
Hope they help,

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mine look like Bingo's also...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote