Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2004, 04:02 PM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Yellowstone recommendations??

Guess we'll bite the bullet and maybe try for Yellowstone this Fall, just on and after Labor Day. Figure most of the families with kids will be gone by then. We will be coming down from Bozeman and exiting towards Boise. Any good recommends? Any "Don't even think of going there" comments?

Thanks

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 05:21 PM   #2
jimnkaran
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #43
OK, first, this is only my opinion. Do NOT go to Fishing Bridge campground unless you enjoy staying in Wal-Mart parking lots. Fishing Bridge is the only campground inside Yellowstone that has hookups, but it is nothing but a Wal-Mart parking lot with hookups. The sites are very close together. We did go there 3 years ago and the site we were given was so close to the one beside us that we could not even put out our awning. When we went to the campground office we were told to bad, that if we didn't like it we could leave because they had other people waiting that would take it. We did leave and went to Mammoth campground and loved it. It is on the North end of the park and is a nice campground but no hookups. We did lose our money from Fishing Bridge and did write a letter to the park but as we expected we did not ever hear anything from them. As stated at the begining, this is only our experience and our opinion.
jimnkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:26 AM   #3
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Well I don't agree with Jim n Karan. I stayed at Fishing Bridge for 5 days last summer and it was fine. It was tight but I have a 32' rig and I had plenty of room. My friend in his 28' next to me also had room. I have never seen trees in a Wal-Mart parking lot but there are trees at Fishing Bridge. It is the most convenient campground for touring the park. We spent very little time actually in the campground. We were touring from morning til night.

They are very particular about grills. You must stow your grill almost immediately after use and nothing that is or could be, used for food may be left out. Even a brand new Tupperware container, never used, must be stowed because apparently bears associate such things with food.

Both my friend and I would stay there again.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:41 PM   #4
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
We agree that Fishing Bridge is too crowded. After two nights we left the park and stayed at the KOA in Jackson Hole. It was very nicel
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:11 PM   #5
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Well PatoDonn, If you coming from Bozeman and Livingston, down thru Gardiner, I would stay at Mammoth Campground for at least a day or two. You will get the enjoyment of listening to the elk bugle that time of year. The also mingle thru the campground and bed during the day there. Just below the camp you will be able to see Rocky Mtn. Sheep. There is a really nice campground in Victor ID.,It should still be open when you get there. Great views. It wont be crowded. Good luck. Ill be there in Oct.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:01 PM   #6
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
I also agree that the Fishermans Bridge campground is not for me. I dont like parking in a giant parking lot. Two other campgrounds that we have stayed in are Grant Village campground and Norris campground.
I would say norris is about the most central located campground as far as the major attractions go. Grant village is closer to the south entrance, so this is a good choice if going into the tetons or the eastern portion of Yellowstone.
of the two campgrounds I would say Norris was the better of the two.
Norris does close Sept. 27th this year. Grant Village and Fishing bridge close Oct.3
Hope this info helps out.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:36 AM   #7
Montana_1152
Established Member

M.O.C. #1152
Hello,

I just got back from Yellowstone last week and tried to tour some campgrounds. I agree, Fisherman's Bridge is too closely packed. I noticed while touring Bay Marina Campground that they had approximately 10 - 15 full hook-up sites in Loop A and one in Loop B for the campground host. I could not find any reference to these hook-ups in any of the Yellowstone literature, but they were there nonetheless. It was a very nice campground in the center of the park.

We stayed at Flagg Ranch Resort located just outside the West gate. We had full hook-ups there and it is a very nice campground. It was our second stay there in the past five years. The only downfall was that we had to drive quite a bit to see the park, but it wasn't too bad. The first day we arrived, a grizzly bear meandered along the edge of the campground and was a great site to see. The kids (including the adult ones) were amazed at the abundance of wildlife roaming everywhere within the park.

We left the day the mudslides closed the East gate road and were fortunate not to have been caught up in the mess.
Montana_1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:13 PM   #8
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
WE stayed at Fisherman's Bridge several years ago when we had our 24 foot (no slides) and found it just right. I can't imagine squeezin in a 35 foot Montana w/ slides! Ditto on the bear consciousness - we even saw a couple stroll thru the campground while we were there. Just don't plan on outside cooking, it's easier that way.

BTW - we also went right after Labor Day, busy, but not packed. Do some walking BEFORE you get there, we hiked all over, up and down, and were stiff for a couple of days!

Another NOT TO MISS is the Museum in Cody. You can easily spend an entire day in there - wonderful!! The KOA in Cody was OK - not spectacular, just OK.

Let us know how it goes! Have fun!
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote